Help is my Aircon working?

Started by Anonymous, April 25, 2006, 10:49

Anonymous

Hi,
Im after a bit of help.... Got myself a Mk3 and im loving it....
Now its got Air Con.... well a button that says A/C...
Ive pressed it and left it but nothing seems to happen...
Ive got to have the blower on for the light to come on, Ive never had Air Con before, so im not sure what should happen....

Can someone explain please....
Sorry for the Dumb question.

Anonymous

Hi ya,
 Newbie myself - and I dont pick up my MKIII until Tuesday!

You need the fan on so that your blowing the cold air into the cab - you won't notice much just that your getting cold air!

You do need to run it once a month or it can stop working.

Anonymous

Oh right....
i wonder if its not working then.... cos the car had been garaged for 3 months or so before i bought it

red_leicester

Quote from: "dodzi"You do need to run it once a month or it can stop working.

I've not heard that one before.  Is that true ?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

Was informed of such by the dealer when I picked up Carols pug 206. Think its summat to do with the gas.

red_leicester

Ahhhh... if it's a Pug you'll be lucky if it lasts more than a month anyway   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

Inorder for the aircon sytem to switch on you need to

a)turn the fan on to atleast low.
b)Push the aircon button

Aircon light should then illuminate.
Make sure all windows are closed for optimum effect. To check it's working - just turn the blower on max and feel the temp before and a few minutes after turning aircon on - it should be noticably cooler. You will also hear a clunking noise from behind your right ear when the aircon is first switched on (could be the coolant pump switching on or something)

The aircon should be run for a few minutes per month (it states this in owners manual) . If not the aircon won't stop working per say but as the coolant is left to stagnate it can become contaminated with bacteria and lead to bad smells. You can get aircon cleaning kits from Halford et al - not sure how good they are but you just spray in the car with the system running and it supoposedly cleans the ducting of bad smells etc - sounds a bit gimicky to me.

Anonymous

What would be the thing to look for then to see if it is working????

SimonC_Here

Cold hands!
Seriously though, make sure the temp dial is turned down, you can have warm aircon air.

The clunk over the right ear is the compressor engaging to the engine. I think you can see it if you look in the engine bay.

S

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Cold hands!
Seriously though, make sure the temp dial is turned down, you can have warm aircon air.

The clunk over the right ear is the compressor engaging to the engine. I think you can see it if you look in the engine bay.

S

Oh yeah - of course you wont get cold air if heater temp is on high!
Aircon will still work you just get hot dehumidified air - which is excellent for demisting on cold damp mornings btw.

kanujunkie

does the blower work at all all the positions?

if yes then the fuses are ok, if no then go check em, theres 2 one is 40amp and the other 10amp
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I'll check em but im sure i dont hear any clunking or anything like that

kanujunkie

Quote from: "lukieboy"I'll check em but I'm sure i dont hear any clunking or anything like that

sorry there Luke but you need to be more precise for a diagnosis over the internet. Why would you hear a clunking noise from a blower?

does air come out the system when you turn the blower on and is it at working at each setting?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

SimonC_Here

read it again Stu, he doesn't get a clunking!

The clunk is from the clutch plate on the bit that the belt from the engine goes to. When I press the button in the dash, I hear this clunk as it engages.

Simon

Anonymous

??????????
Im confused now??????
  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"The clunk is from the clutch plate on the bit that the belt from the engine goes to. When I press the button in the dash, I hear this clunk as it engages.

Simon

Luke, don't confuse this with the main clutch!
 He means the "mini" clutch which engages when you switch on the air con unit. - The clunking noise I talked about which you should hear when the aircon is first switched on.
In order for the aircon unIt to work it must draw power from the engine. It does this via a drive belt. The clunk you should hear is a clutch engaging so that power from the drivebelt is linked into the aircon unit.

Back to basics!

Do the blowers work in all positions (irregardless of whether you have aircon on)?
DOes the aircon button light up when you push it (remember your blowers must be on for it to work)?
Do you also hear a clunk behind your right shoulder when you do this?
After a few minutes (with the temperature dial set to BLUE) , the blower on and the aircon button depressed does the air feel cooler?

If all your answers are yes then your aircon is probably working.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

kanujunkie

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"read it again Stu, he doesn't get a clunking!

The clunk is from the clutch plate on the bit that the belt from the engine goes to. When I press the button in the dash, I hear this clunk as it engages.

Simon

yeah but i asked him about the blower, not the compressor, i asked that as it determines wether the fuses are OK, i couldn't give a rats shit about the compressor at the mo, one thing at a time, if the fuses arn't ok then the compressor wont run properly

Luke please RTFQ!
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

What????
If RTFQ means what i think it does then it doesnt matter....
Thank for your help but i'll find out from my neighbour, he's got a mk3.

Great welcome!

kanujunkie

sorry mate but if you dont want help then dont ask for it, fault diagnosis(which i do for a job) needs to follow a set way of doing things, i've even gone and got the system diagrams and wireing out for you but if you dont want to be helped then fine suit yourself, certainly aint any skin off my back
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Don't want to muddy the waters here but I can see how it could be easy to lose track of things on this thread as there are a few people asking questions and trying to give advice at the same time.
Is always tricky over t'internet

As for the RTFQ bit... Well in all honesty I can see why some people might take offence.

Anyway I never like it when threads go sour like this so I'll keep out of it from now on.
  s:) :) s:)

GSB

Quote from: "kanujunkie"sorry mate but if you dont want help then dont ask for it, fault diagnosis(which i do for a job) needs to follow a set way of doing things, i've even gone and got the system diagrams and wireing out for you but if you dont want to be helped then fine suit yourself, certainly aint any skin off my back

Agreed.

Luke, you'll never find a fault by guessing. Finding your fault is easiest accomplished by checking the likely parts one after the other, in a logical and methodical manner... In the absence of any technical knowledge or skills, you are reliant upon those who do have such skills. Such a person is offering you assistance here, for free, but unless you provide answers to the questions he poses, he can't help you.

So, for your own sake, and to save Mr.T from lightening your wallet, ATFQ...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

kanujunkie

RTFQ = Read The Flaming Question

its not anything rude, just an old term used in engineering
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Ah, sorry Stu, I had incorrectly assumed (maybe as LUke did?) that the F was in lieu of a slightly more offensive four letter word.

Well we all tried our best to help him out. Up to him if he wants any more help.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"RTFQ = Read The Flaming Question

its not anything rude, just an old term used in engineering
Yes along with many others like NFG = no flippin good, labelled on faulty parts  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

How can i RTFQ as you put it when everyone is firing different things at me...
You read through the whole thread and its confusing! ppl say things about clunking when you press the A/C button then someone else answers him.

I told you i was new and when someone starts havin a go then puts the comment RTFQ which instantly means Read The F#####g Question in their eyes, as SimonP also assumed, a new comer aint gonna apprecate it.

I work very closely with ppl in my line of work and there are ways and means of talking to people.

Tags: