Hand break - hard to get the 2 to hold - Calliper Actuator?

Started by Anonymous, April 25, 2006, 15:04

Anonymous

I did a search but didn't find anything conclusive on this subject.

At my last service (20K) I asked MR T to tighten the hand break as it seemed to have loosened over the previous six months (a typical trait of Toyotas IMO).  Strangely enough they did this FOC as part of the £180 service.  

Since then I have been cautious not to over tighten the hand break when parking, not a strategy my wife employs, as she often attempts to pull hand break so it touches the soft top.  

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that even though the hand break is still fairly tight it takes some effort to get the 2 to hold on an incline.  My thoughts for this are 1) a sticking hand break actuator on the rear calliper, 2) rear pads have gone off (hardened) 3) Rear disks are going off -They do seem a little dull, almost graphite coloured, compared with my new fronts.

Any thoughts & experience welcomed

GSB

The handbrake is, in a word, crap...

Dont ever depend upon it, and always leave the car in gear...

Further reading:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=577 m
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2834 m
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

normanh

Had a cable replaced on warranty the weekend made one hell of a difference to the pull on the lever. The funny thing is with just one side working the handbrake did work. Even on a rolling road tester the one wheel was very good!!!!!!

Ironically one dealer said fair wear and tear not covered by warranty another said component failure, Toyota sided with the dealer who didnt want to do the job.

Normanh

Anonymous

Thanks for the response guys  s:) :) s:)   As I thought mechanically actuated rear callipers as handbrakes are pants.  My ex-Celica with inset brake shoes was the nuts!!  I think it could be cable or the actuator, anyhow its back to Mr T's under warrenty where they'll probably arge normal wear & tear bo***x...hmmm it's only happened since they tightened up the cable!!!

Surely KanuJ must have had some warrenty work done on his handbreak / rear callipers.  As I recall he's up to £25k warrenty which is almost a total rebuild   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "ShaunyF"Surely KanuJ must have had some warrenty work done on his handbreak / rear callipers.  As I recall he's up to £25k warrenty which is almost a total rebuild   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

fraid that whilst that figures correct but it is grossly inaccurate on what actual work has been done to the car. Around £16K is down to the inability of a certain Mr.T garage in crawley, w.sussex to do there job properly. Fraid the only work i've had on the brakes was a set of discs, no issues outside of that
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

normanh

Stragely enough on the Hand Brake front I have been informed by a very good technican that MR's in particular all since 96 suffer cable problems and seizing up. Might be worth check for that as well as stretched cables. The next most common fault is the mechanism jams on the caliper. The techinican not a MR T one said of all the MR's he has worked on its for one reason thwe handbrake dont work! Now I tend to believe the technican because his my brother!!!!!!!!!! I wish I listened to him more often now!!!!!

normanh

Tags: