Buying advice

Started by Anonymous, April 29, 2006, 10:58

Anonymous

Hi there

My first post. Have searched the site to see if any of this was covered but couldn't find anything. I've just stared looking for an MR2. Budget - only £7,750 and car must have aircon. Saw and drove my first yesterday - really liked it. Just need some advice:

1 - when is cambelt change due? (This car had 32k on the clock)
2 - I'm looking for a car with under 40k mileage. Is that OK or should I look for up to 60k?
3 - I'm used to driving cars with the engine in front. So when I took it for short spin I wasn't used to the sound of the engine. How should it sound? The guy (nice guy) who is selling it took me for a proper spin (as he was obviously fully insured) and it sounded fine - but when I took it for a brief spin it sounded a bit unimpreesive - more than likely my lack of familiarity with driving it.
4 - Any other advice appreciated

Also - the car has bubbling on the wheels which concerned me... until I read the article on here - so many thanks!

Kam

PS Looking forward to becoming an owner!

aaronjb

I like easy questions  s;) ;) s;)

Quote from: "kambomambo"1 - when is cambelt change due? (This car had 32k on the clock)
2 - I'm looking for a car with under 40k mileage. Is that OK or should I look for up to 60k?
3 - I'm used to driving cars with the engine in front. So when I took it for short spin I wasn't used to the sound of the engine. How should it sound? The guy (nice guy) who is selling it took me for a proper spin (as he was obviously fully insured) and it sounded fine - but when I took it for a brief spin it sounded a bit unimpreesive - more than likely my lack of familiarity with driving it.

1. There's no cambelt  s:) :) s:)  We have a cam-chain, requiring inspection only.
2. I'd go for 40k, without a shadow of a doubt.
3. With standard exhaust and intake it does sound quite.. well.. Singer sewing machine like  s;) ;) s;)  The engines are also quite tappety, as they have solid lifters not hydraulic like most engines these days.

Decent exhaust and intake (or markiii inlet duct) should have it sounding like a proper car  s;) ;) s;)

4. Try to buy one from an enthusiast if at all possible.  Get one with a full service history if you're not getting one from an enthusiast.

Look out for tears or wear indicating an impending hole in the soft top (search around on that one - some good pics were posted) between the top of the side windows and the back of the roof.

Gut the pre cats ASAP.

Check the drain holes (search on that one, too  s:) :) s:) )

Check thoroughly for any accident damage - between the rear slam panel and bumper, and under the bonnet (though that's obscured mostly by plastics) as people do have a habit of parking these cars in ditches/trees/fences/railings.

Check tyre wear - a little extra wear on the inside shoulder of the fronts is normal, but alignment is hugely important on these cars.

Other than that... welcome to permagrin  s:) :) s:)  (when you get one!)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

I think I read somewhere else on here the cambelt(Timing Chain) is good for 200k miles

Anonymous

Wow - thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I don't know much about cars but had a horrible feeling that it didn't have a cam belt - otherwise I'd have read about it - so many thanks for clearing that up!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I'll check all the other things you suggested. It has a full dealer service history but I'll give everything you suggest a proper look. New exhaust sounds like it could do the trick! (I currently drive a Celica with a throbbing Mongoose exhaust - so the difference is quite noticeable.)

As you can imagine, being 'Mr MR2cambelt' I have no idea what precats or drainholes are   s:D :D s:D   but I will search the site and learn!

I'll now get stuck in and hopefully be a proud owner within a few days! Think I'll get a mechanic friend to come out with me to give whatever I buy the final onceover.. and I'll check out the bits that you mentioned on the roof.

Thanks again. Have a great weekend.

Kam

philster_d

Drain holes is nothing just something to keep clear so that the rain can run away from inside the roof in the winter (were it folds to).

Precats are in the manifold, but with the right socket (maybe your mechanic friend can help) you can peek at them and check the condition by removing the o2 sensors. I think your right do a search on that - maybe "inspecting precats" or something.

Best of luck,
/Philster.

Anonymous

Quote from: "philster_d"I think your right do a search on that - maybe "inspecting precats" or something.

don't forget it needs to be "inspecting AND precats" though... and welcome to the club! (almost!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )   s:) :) s:)

Tags: