steering problem

Started by Anonymous, April 29, 2006, 19:13

Anonymous

hi,took car for spin earlier & when on full left or right lock strange noise from front end,have checked the flaps in case they were rubbing or catching but all ok there.Strange sort of noise like sumting is binding
Any ideas folks.

ken

kanujunkie

brakes?

what size wheels do you have?

tyre pressures?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

new brake pads & discs just fitted,stock alloys & fresh tyres.Sounds like a rubbing or binding strange it happens on left/right lock.  s:? :? s:?

Chris_h

Sounds like the top mount 'graunching' many of have / or have had.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Chris_h"Sounds like the top mount 'graunching' many of have / or have had.

possible,normally that produces a knocking sound, try dropping the leg out of the car and greasing them up, its not a hard job, takes about 30mins and 6 bolts, just bear in mind that this will affect the alignment
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Chris_h

It does sound just like the top mounts - similar sound to grounding out on mudflaps as you described.

I thought the top mounts didn't make the knocking noise? that is due to the full lock / ackerman / skipping that seems to be tyre dependent (mine no longer knocks now I have changed tyres, but i still have mild 'graunching' from the top mounts).

As Stu says, have a go at greasing - I didn't want to re-align, so I just squirted muchos tef grease up there (being careful to avoid brake discs!), to no avail. I think you need to dismantle as per Stu's suggestion to have any hope of greasing being successful - howevever, based on previous posts, this usually doesn't work (the dealers often did this under warranty prior to replacing top mounts).

I am just going to monitor the situation, if it gets much worse and affects the drive, I will have the mounts replaced - and use the opportunity to go for TTE springs
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

heathstimpson

I'm getting strange noises from the actual steering column itself. Close to full lock either way it creaks and squeaks whilst driving  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: