Meguiars

Started by Stifler, May 4, 2006, 12:52

Anonymous

just been on the meguiars site   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   there is so much choice. which wash mit is the best and which wax please   s:) :) s:)

Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Wax seems a good choice? maybe?

celmacmat

Right I have read the all post.

What is the purpose of the Clay? (I get the purpose of the Polish and the wax, but not the clay   s:? :? s:?  )
What is wrong with a Sponge to wash the car?
And finally, is it good to use those electric polishers or is it to powerful and might harm the paint? (And I have to do with elbow grease   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).

Sorry for all this but I exhibit the car at Tatton on Sunday and hope for nice weather on Saturday to pamper Marsupette   s:D :D s:D  .
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "celmacmat"Right I have read the all post.

What is the purpose of the Clay? (I get the purpose of the Polish and the wax, but not the clay   s:? :? s:?  )

Clay is for removing almost everything (except scratches, swirls and water spots) from the surface of the paint.  It must be followed by polish and sealant or wax (or both).

QuoteWhat is wrong with a Sponge to wash the car?

A sponge traps the dirt and you end up rubbing the dirt on your paint, scratching it.

QuoteAnd finally, is it good to use those electric polishers or is it to powerful and might harm the paint? (And I have to do with elbow grease   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).

It depends what kind.  The Halford's/Argos type are apparently no good, though I'm not sure quite why.  The good kind are fairly expensive or not widely available.  It is better to wash, clay, polish, seal and wax by hand than it is to use one of those cheap machine buffers, I believe.  I used one and now I have lots of swirls that I plan to take out with my new polisher (Porter-Cable 7424 imported from the US) as soon as I get a chance.

By the way, I plan to follow the procedure Dev outlines in his Detailing sticky over on Spyderchat:

1) Wash
2) Clay
3) Machine polish with Menzerna Intensive polish to remove swirls
4) Machine polish with Menzerna Final Polish
5) Klasse All-In-One (either by machine or by hand)
6) Wolfgang Sealant (several coats over a couple of days)
7) P21S carnauba wax.

I figure that once I've finished all that, I'll be ready for a long nap and the car will look like sh*t again 3 days later.  s:) :) s:)

celmacmat

Right Ernie...got you   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If i plan a wash, clay, polish and wax, all by hand, how long do you think it is going to take me...(bearing in mind the odds cup of tea in between and the fact that before i can polish i need to debadge the cowboy hat   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  so i can fit my nice j-spec one   s:D :D s:D  )
Celine

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "celmacmat"Right Ernie...got you   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If i plan a wash, clay, polish and wax, all by hand, how long do you think it is going to take me...(bearing in mind the odds cup of tea in between and the fact that before i can polish i need to debadge the cowboy hat   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  so i can fit my nice j-spec one   s:D :D s:D  )

4 hours anyway.  Do the debadging before you do anything else.  Then wash and clay.  Then put the new badge on, polish and wax.  That's how I'd do it, anyway.

You'll probably need some bug and tar remover before the clay to get the sticky gunk from the cowboy hat off your paint.

Two's Company

Celine if you want I can detail your car for a some beer vouchers!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Send me a PM if you are interested, Ste can vouch for my work!

Cheers

Steve

celmacmat

Quote from: "Two's Company"

Celine if you want I can detail your car for a some beer vouchers!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Send me a PM if you are interested, Ste can vouch for my work!

Cheers

Steve
Cheers Steve

I think I can manage and I kind of want to do it on my own, you know like a big girl   s:D :D s:D  

But that is very kind of you to offer....you will be able to criticise my work on the 10th and tell me were I went wrong if I mess it up   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Celine

Two's Company

You'll get more satisfaction doing it yourself anyway   s:D :D s:D    

Don't worry you can't cause too much damage to it by hand   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If you clay it, polish it and add some wax you'll need sunglasses just to look at it   s8) 8) s8)

celmacmat

Quote from: "Two's Company"You'll get more satisfaction doing it yourself anyway   s:D :D s:D    

Don't worry you can't cause too much damage to it by hand   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If you clay it, polish it and add some wax you'll need sunglasses just to look at it   s8) 8) s8)
Wicked   s:D :D s:D  

I just hope I am not going to blind other drivers on the motorway if it is sunny   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Celine

spit

You'll be amazed at the difference Celine.

Russ first put me onto the clar bar/detailing spray kit and I thought he was bonkers. But it really does make a noticeable difference (if you use it  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

And yes, I can vouch for Steve's dedication to detailing. In fact if you don't want him Celine, I might just take up his offer myself  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Two's Company

Quote from: "spit"And yes, I can vouch for Steve's dedication to detailing. In fact if you don't want him Celine, I might just take up his offer myself  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Wait until I get the Porter Cable and I will spend a day sorting your car out while you change my oil   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Which site is the best to buy the pc 7424 from, how much and what do I need to use it in the uk?

Two's Company

Quote from: "dodzi"Which site is the best to buy the pc 7424 from, how much and what do I need to use it in the uk?

I'm not where the 'best' place is but I'm going to get mine from autopia for $150 and I have a 15% discount code (PM me for it).

You'll also need a transformer, extension and plug from screwfix or similar.

HTH[/url]

Ernie Ball

I would use Autopia, if only because they seem willing to declare a lower value on the package.

I bought from Autogeek and for the first time in a long while, got nailed by Irish customs and had to pay VAT and import duty on it.

As for what you need to make it work in the UK:

You need a 750VA 110v transformer like this one.

and you need a plug like this one

You'll have to cut the american plug off the cable and attach the new one.

You will probably also want a 110v extension lead or you'll be carrying that transformer around the car with you.  The other option is that some places sell the Porter-Cable with a 25-foot lead.  Autogeek sells it as the Porter-Cable "HD."

celmacmat

Quote from: "Two's Company"
Quote from: "spit"And yes, I can vouch for Steve's dedication to detailing. In fact if you don't want him Celine, I might just take up his offer myself  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Wait until I get the Porter Cable and I will spend a day sorting your car out while you change my oil   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Guys, we can have a polishing party if you are really bored on Saturday afternoon...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Spit you have got my number and you are only 10 minutes away...

I do have tea, coffee, beers (probably), a 110V transformer and cable, so what the hell   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

However, I have not got the clay bar or wash mitt yet and my polish is Autoglym   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  but I have two buckets for the "two buckets" technique   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Celine

Two's Company

Quote from: "celmacmat"However, I have not got the clay bar or wash mitt yet and my polish is Autoglym   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  but I have two buckets for the "two buckets" technique   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I use the 3 bucket technique   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   (1 for wheels, 1 wash, 1 for rinsing wash mitt)   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Celine, my car is fairly clean at the moment but thanks for the offer.

Gazz

With all this polishing and waxing do you ever get time to actually drive the car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

Two's Company

Quote from: "Gazz"With all this polishing and waxing do you ever get time to actually drive the car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Now and again   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

celmacmat

Quote from: "Gazz"With all this polishing and waxing do you ever get time to actually drive the car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Every single day and it is a great joy   s:D :D s:D  

and I do like pampering Marsupette   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Celine

Anonymous

Just finished claying, polishing and waxing. Check it!

spit

Excellent Russ, and just in time to put your name down here
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I think its true that Black shines up the best - looking good.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

You wouldn't beleive how hard it was to capture the shine with my digicam!

I'll stick my name down on the minimeet - just not got round to it yet  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Two's Company

Nice shine Russ   s8) 8) s8)  

I spent all day painting my calipers and cleaning my wheels.  I need to borrow a digicam to get some pics up.

Anonymous

I'll try to remember to bring mine along at the weekend so we can take some pics while I'm seeing how far behind I am in the detailing stakes  s:) :) s:)

Two's Company

I'll have to get it cleaned up this week then, now that your expecting it to be shiny!    s:D :D s:D

Tags: