PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Started by Anonymous, May 9, 2006, 15:36

Anonymous

Can anyone please help yesterday my stereo just stopped working and the areal wont go down. i replaced the fuse that had bown and the stereo came on but still no action from the areal. Now the stereo fuse just keeps blowing and still nothing from the areal. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

Anonymous

Aaron's probably your man for this one, you could try PM'ing him?

aaronjb

Hmm - if the fuse is blowing then you definitely have an electrical fault in there somewhere - probably a short to ground at a guess.

The only way to diagnose this is going to be a process of elimination, or belling things out with a multimeter..

First thing I'd try is rule out the stereo itself (is it the stock one or aftermarket?) - unplug the main connector on the stereo, does the fuse still blow?

I'd also try unplugging the aerial power connectors and check again, in case it's the aerial itself at fault (IIRC those are in the rear drivers side bin).

Along with that - which fuse is it, I seem to recall two audio fuses (or was that the Nissan  s:? :? s:?  ).

If it doesn't blow with the stereo unplugged then the stereo is shot, likewise the aerial.. if it still blows with those unplugged then it's a wiring fault somewhere, and if you don't know what you're doing with a multimeter then you're going to need an auto electrician or a set of helping hands - whereabouts in the country are you?

Incidentally, I would expect the aerial to go down (assuming it's not bust and it's not that blowing the fuse of course) as soon as you stop the fuse from blowing and restore a permenant +ve feed to the aerial (since it should retract whenever it loses +12v on the switch line).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

told ya!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I would go along the same lines as what aaron stated above. My guess would be that the motor is jammed or the mechanism is sticking and it is therefore drawing too much current and popping the fuse.

With that said, I would guess that the aerial itself has its own supply and that the stereo only provides a logic control signal to the aeriel to tell it whether to be up or down?

the best starting point I would recommend would be to disconnect the wire which supplies the aerial to see if the head unit operates without blowing the fuse.

If this was succesful, I would then check out the aerial and its wiring as the problem would lie there.

pretty much what aaron said, I think.

Edit: Just read Aarons post which says the stereo provides +12v for the aerial to be up. This tells me that if the stereo proved ok, the fault would either be a short in supply cable cable to the bodywork or there is an internal short within the antenna mechanism

aaronjb

Quote from: "Richie"Edit: Just read Aarons post which says the stereo provides +12v for the aerial to be up

AFAIK the blue wire is +12v, but also AFAIK it's only used as a logic-control source, and the main feed for the aerial is via a relay.. But I could be wrong on that - I can't find the wiring diagrams in the BGB to check.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "Richie"Edit: Just read Aarons post which says the stereo provides +12v for the aerial to be up

AFAIK the blue wire is +12v, but also AFAIK it's only used as a logic-control source, and the main feed for the aerial is via a relay.. But I could be wrong on that - I can't find the wiring diagrams in the BGB to check.

Yup, I would suspect it would be fed off of something such as a relay or a simple transistor circuit, just to avoid loading the output at the back of the stereo.

It could be possible that this circuit has developed a fault and shorting somewhere.

I'll be able to go investigate / diagnose further once I find out if the fuse still blows with the aerial wire disconnected.

aaronjb

Yeah - I've seen cars that use a relay setup, and others where the logic is all built into the aerial itself (and it just takes a +ve feed, -ve feed and +ve sense wire)

Still can't find the wiring diagrams - wish my BGB had index pages!

kanujunkie

silly Q but you have checked the fuse for the aerial?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks for all of your suggestions ive booked it in for saturday to be looked at so hopefully there find out what it is. Ill let you know what they find. Thanks again tho

leon_in_uk

hi aaron and gang, sorry also have the same problem and just found this post... just read his fuse blowing. mine did the first time and then when i replaced it. t was fine, just the aerial stayed up and doesnt seme to make any noise of winding down etc.
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Tags: