Airbag question

Started by Anonymous, May 9, 2006, 17:20

Anonymous

m3r3 is just another way of stating the value of resistor, ie 3.3 ohm but hopefully the dudes in maplin should  be able to find the correct one.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

I know its  5years old, but have the same problem. I have to NCT (MOT) my car and airbag light is on. I can not only cover it, as they check for test light come on when ignition turned on. Will the light come on for a few sec on startup with the resistor fitted?

markiii

in my experience yes it will probably
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Steve Green

The ECU sends a small current through the airbag, not enough to fire it, but enough to test the complete circuit.
So with a resistor fitted the ECU will think the circuit is OK if it sees a 3.3 Ohm resistor.

Disabling or failing to repair a faulty Airbag could invalidate your insurance.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

markiii

Quote from: "Steve Green"The ECU sends a small current through the airbag, not enough to fire it, but enough to test the complete circuit.
So with a resistor fitted the ECU will think the circuit is OK if it sees a 3.3 Ohm resistor.

Disabling or failing to repair a faulty Airbag could invalidate your insurance.

i agree its the theory

in practice I've seen a couple that the reisstor wouldn't fix
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Yep, thats why i am asking. i try to figure it out whats the problem in my case. I have my airbag in the wheel, but light is on. I try to find out whats the problem. so i will test with the resistor, to see if something wrong in my airbag, or i have to look somewhere else

Anonymous

I checked my airbag in the steering wheel. Looks ok, with all connected. What else can cause the Airbag light to stay on?

iPap

Check the wires under the seat to the seatbelts are connected!
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

Anonymous

i checked, and they are all connected. Is it possible of a faulty sensor? As the side of my car was damaged, and fixed by prev owner

aaronjb

Is it possible the airbag deployed, if you say the car had a bit of a prang? If so then you (probably) need a new airbag ECU and/or the ECU resetting (some will, some won't) as the fault will stay on. Actually on the VX even a sensor fault will cause the light to stay lit after resolution, you need a tester to reset it.

Not sure if a dealer can interrogate the airbag ECU on the Toyota, certainly can on my Vauxhall, which will tell you what the cause of the light is (e.g. deployment, sensor, etc)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Steve Green

That's perhaps a clue. there are two sensors mounted on the chassis rails on either side under the frunk. I understand that these cannot be reset one triggered by an impact.
The only other connection, apart from the airbags are to the seatbelt pretensioners on the reels. If these have been triggered they will lock the seatbelts.
It sounds as if you need to check the components, their fitting and electrical connections.

I would expect though that if there was a fault in the circuit that you would have a DTC fault code.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Anonymous

The seat belts looks ok. i have only an obdii reader, and Toyota herein Ireland are not too helpful.... The whole car was messed with, and i only discovered that airbag light, and brake fault light is covered with black tape....
Is it visible if the sensors are triggered on the frame?

Anonymous

Anonymous

If you need any components, Ive got two undamaged cars here, breaking (both oil burning engines).

Anonymous

Thanks Dick. I will let you know, then you can send it with the instruments!     s8) 8) s8)

Tags: