changing the HU

Started by Anonymous, May 29, 2006, 15:22

Anonymous

Hi I havent been around for a while, sort of got bored with the 2  s:( :( s:(

But now that the nice weather is coming it's time I ditched the standard Toyota/matsuy thing and got a HU that can handle mp3 and my ipod.

I have been looking at the Kenwood KDC-W4534.

Noone seems to list the fitting kits and adaptors for the 2 though.  s:( :( s:(

How well do the facia kits fit and is the wiring straight forward?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Fitting a new head unit is very easy, you just need the ISO wiring adapter and fascia adapter from autoleads. Shameless plug coming   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ..... I happen to sell these on  w www.autoaudioaccessories.co.uk w  for a very reasonable £18 for the fascia and £5 for the ISO wiring adapter (inc VAT and delivered first class)

The fascia adapter is a very good fit and looks like it came just out of the factory! For a couple of pics please check out  w www.autoaudioaccessories.co.uk w

Anonymous

Shameless plug accepted  s:) :) s:)

As soon as i've done a little more digging on the HU i mentioned above, i'll place an order with you   s8) 8) s8)

evileye_wrx

I bought the Clarion DXZ658RMP from Arden Car Audio on Ebay and the Ipod Adaptor from Clarionworld.co.uk. I also picked up Matt's fascia adaptor and have to agree the transaction was very smooth and it arrived quickly. I bought an ISO wiring adaptor at Halfords for about 6 quid.

I don't know about any other ipod/ HU combinations but the Clarion one doesn't have the functionality I wanted. Basically I'd thought I would be able to use the HU the same as the Ipod but that isn't the case. Perhaps I should have done more research before purchasing. Anyways it plays fine and If I could be bothered to read the manual again I could get more out of it than one big playlist ( I think I can have 6 separate ones I really need to look)

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

GSB

Alpine allows searches by playlist, artist and album, don to individual tracks, its a bit slow though, but then I amusing the first generation Ai-Link (KCA-420) version rather than the new "full speed" enabled head units, which are much much faster.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

When i purchased a new single DIN stereo i followed the article here

m http://www.mr2roc.org/subdreamer/index. ... ticleid=41 m  

I used the Single DIN sized tray direct from the Toyota dealer PN: 55521 -16030 : Tray / Storage slot

Personally i prefer the look of this compared to the autoleads (or similar) fascia adapter. There is less space to "fill" around the stereo and you get a bigger storage area

Anonymous

Matt

I've placed an order for the facia and the iso adaptor........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Lets see how good the service is   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Right, I'm on it. First class tomorrow morning.....

Anonymous

s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

It was dropped off at the post office an hour ago. Fingers crossed.   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Matt

Your a star!!!!!

Package arrived this morning in perfect condition.

I am amazed by the facia   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

It must do every toyota between 2000 and 2005, we'll worth the tiny amount it's cost.

when the HU turns up i'll fit it.

Once again......TOP bloke!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Quick update on the change of HU

It came this morning at 7.55 and I fitted it at dinner time.  s:) :) s:)

I was suprised at the wiring, the original fisherprice set had 4 multiplugs, the adaptor loom only needs 1 as the other is for rear speakers.

Matt's facia plate fits like a glove and the whole install was quite quick and painless except for one small isssue.

The aerial lead on the MR2 is the standard din type and the aerial lead on the alpine 9850ri I bought is DIN and I can't get hold of an adaptor, so at the moment I have no radio.

As I bought the set to control an ipod, thats no real loss and I can fit the adaptor without removing it all again.

The Alpine 9850ri set is great too and looks good in the 2.

Draggon

I have the same HU Nighthawk....I took it out of the Alfa before I got the MRS  s:) :) s:)

Just oredered the facia and loom converter from local chap (soz)

Cannot wait to fit it

EDIT: I got an areil adapter for the Alpine from Halfords about a month ago...easy to get I think
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Anonymous

I got hold of the adaptor from another branch of halfords, so the install is complete now.

The facia came very very quickly from Matt, in fact both the facia and HU were ordered at the same time and the HU arrived after the facia.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Searching playlists is a bit of a pain when driving, but i'm getting used to it.

GSB

I've had 2 alpine units in recent years (fitted one a couple of weeks ago in fact), but both have plugged straight into the stock antenna plug. My blaupunkt required an antenna adaptor though.

I think I have an adapter piece in my desk drawer at work. PM with an address and you can have it.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Draggon

Just bought an ISO adapter from Matt...hopefully will be the right one

I am guessing that all the other white plugs I can ignore?

No idea what they do  s:( :( s:(
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

enid_b

if he dont want it, can i have your adaptor please?

thanks

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

GSB

Draggon, Welcome to the ROC... Here you'll find all sorts of useful info, like that fact that 3 out of the plugs can be ignored. 2 have something to do with the Toyota TNS system,  1 is for the rear speakers that you dont have, and theother is for front speakers, power and illumination.

Enid, the adaptor is on its way you... (If I can find it...)

Draggon

Thanks GSB...thought it would be something like that  s:) :) s:)

Puts my mind at ease

Anonymous

Quote from: "Draggon"Just bought an ISO adapter from Matt...hopefully will be the right one......

Excellent choice    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

It will definately be the right one   s:) :) s:)

Draggon

Cheers Matt  s:) :) s:)

Paid for the next day ...hope it arrives Sat  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Draggon"...hope it arrives Sat..

s:? :? s:?  Me too. It's been posted this morning so fingers crossed.

Draggon

YAY...big thanks Matt...life saver  s:) :) s:)

Draggon

Got the wiring harness this morning....fits like a glove all working  s:) :) s:)

Nice one Matt  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Nice one.......everyones happy  s:D :D s:D

Tags: