Rear Spoiler Query

Started by Brad1208, July 4, 2006, 18:53

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"and why would you use them, they're just put on this planet to create problems for people, do the job properly or dont do it at all

Well I did call them evil  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

I've used those quite succesfully. Not the cheapest crap you can find, but proper ones with good tools. Never had a problem with them, they seem to be just fine for at least 8 years (and counting).

...but get the cheapest ones and use a crappy tool...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  I believe it's how&what you use, not the method itself.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

those dont have tools Tem, they just snap over the wireing useing your pinkies, but vibration does loosen them
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"those dont have tools Tem, they just snap over the wireing useing your pinkies, but vibration does loosen them

Now don't tell me you actually press them on with your hands..  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

No vibration issues with proper stuff. Not for me anyway.

Then again, like I said, never used the cheapest stuff, so wouldn't know about them.  s:? :? s:?

Draggon

Quote from: "markiii"there are 3 spoilers we are talking about here

TTE - banana shaped wing that sits just behind the roof

TRD  - more conventional wing that sits at the back overlapping the lights

Stock Toyota UK - the little ductail that sits between the rear lights

just because Toyota UK sells some TTE stuff, does not miek all of the accessories TTE nor does it mean that they sell everything TTE make

Thanks markiii , thats cleared that up  s:) :) s:)

I am getting a ducktail...I know ..not manly enough..gggrrrrrr
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Scotchlok.  Evil things, but so handy when you can't be bothered to do a proper splice  s:) :) s:)

Just googled a bit...so you just clamp these on a wire, assuming that they peel the cover off and just the cover, not the actual wires? And then hope that the wire makes contact through the wedge?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "aaronjb"Scotchlok.  Evil things, but so handy when you can't be bothered to do a proper splice  s:) :) s:)

Just googled a bit...so you just clamp these on a wire, assuming that they peel the cover off and just the cover, not the actual wires? And then hope that the wire makes contact through the wedge?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

yep, now you see why i personally think they are so bloody useless, even the crush splices are better and even they arnt brilliant
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "Tem"

They don't peel the cover, they just cut through it, and as you say the wire makes contact in the V shape.

For a few pence from Halfrauds thought it was worth a try, rather than doing a "proper job", like Stu would   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I'm not used to wiring 47s (that's techy for you), so this was it. It works, it looks neat (even though its hidden from view on the car), so its OK by me. I saw Dan's "splice", involving about 3' of tape (TBH I would prefer this to that any day).
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

kanujunkie

Quote from: "roger"I saw Dan's "splice", involving about 3' of tape (TBH I would prefer this to that any day).

oooohhh slap that man!!

fair point on the other comment, i'm always going to be a bit anal on this, its just that in my normal run of electricians work i cant afford not to be
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

hehe I saw Mark putting these on my car np  s:) :) s:)

aaronjb

Quote from: "roger"I saw Dan's "splice", involving about 3' of tape (TBH I would prefer this to that any day).

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  A valid point  s;) ;) s;)

Personally I've had reasonable success with them in all honesty - as long as they make a good connection initially, and are the right size for the wire (so they don't miss the core or completely slice the wire) then they work OK unless the wires are subject to physical loads.

Still prefer to do a nice soldered splice, of course (when I can be bothered  s;) ;) s;) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

My wiring is the best thing ever: Mock the standard of it if you like (most do  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ), but that rear light on the spoiler worked fine from day one until I sold the car, and I never got a shock from it or anything.

Still doesn't beat the screwing of the fire extinguisher, though.  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: