18" wheels - not such a bad choice !!

Started by s12vea, August 20, 2006, 09:23

s12vea

I am currently running 18" wheels on my roadster, they look fantastic and the handling is great!! The only noticeable difference is you can feel the extra weight of them... The things we do for looks ???  s:D :D s:D  
I will try and unload some pictures once I find out how to use the site?
I am running 215/35/18 tyres all round.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

philster_d

Hi

This thread is useless without pictures    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Welcome.
  s8) 8) s8)  
Philster.

Anonymous

You running the 215/35/18s all round?

Must admit I like the larger wheels on the car (pics?) but would be terrified it would really ruin the handling which IMO is the best thing about the 2  s8) 8) s8)  

Each to their own though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

PS, looks like your caps lock is stuck on.

markiii

yeah, please stop shouting.

and please prepare yourself for teh ditch now.

same size around will result in bad oversteer and with those tyres you will get zero warning
when they go they go.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris_h

I had great fun with same size all round (on 17s) Much more incisive turn in, tenacious front end grip. Thought it made road driving much more enjoyable, as low speed cornering much improved.

Granted, you have the possible pendulem effect of engine out back to cause snap oversteer on the faster corners when the car is 'weighted up' - but for realistic sub 70mph A&B road blasting, I much preferred 205 all round - made 4 wheel drifts much more controllable too   s:D :D s:D  

Of course I couldn't possibly recommend it - it removes some of the built in safety element, but I enjoyed it so much i removed 4mm of tread in 2000 miles (off front and back   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  )

Re bigger wheels, major problem I found was lousy low speed ride quality over broken tarmac / potholes - really made the car shake and rattle. This was on 205/40/17. It was like a magic carpet when I put on the old 15"s with big squashy sidewalls.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

SteveJ

Quote from: "s12vea"I am currently running 18" wheels on my roadster, they look fantastic and the handling is great!! ...........
I am running 215/35/18 tyres all round.

Quote from: "markiii"and please prepare yourself for the ditch now.

same size around will result in bad oversteer and with those tyres you will get zero warning
when they go they go.

Not only oversteer, but just wait for the huuuuuuge amount of aquaplaning the first time you hit a deep puddle with that wide a tyre up front and no weight over the front axle.

And with it being a turbo'd car you definately want more rear grip than front.

Can I have first dibs on any bits from the rear of the dead car please   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

markiii

Quote from: "Chris_h"I had great fun with same size all round (on 17s) Much more incisive turn in, tenacious front end grip. Thought it made road driving much more enjoyable, as low speed cornering much improved.

Granted, you have the possible pendulem effect of engine out back to cause snap oversteer on the faster corners when the car is 'weighted up' - but for realistic sub 70mph A&B road blasting, I much preferred 205 all round - made 4 wheel drifts much more controllable too   s:D :D s:D  

Of course I couldn't possibly recommend it - it removes some of the built in safety element, but I enjoyed it so much i removed 4mm of tread in 2000 miles (off front and back   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  )

Re bigger wheels, major problem I found was lousy low speed ride quality over broken tarmac / potholes - really made the car shake and rattle. This was on 205/40/17. It was like a magic carpet when I put on the old 15"s with big squashy sidewalls.

yeah but at least on 17" wheels you get some warning, by the time your rubber bands on 18s communicates that the arse is moving, you are not going to catch it.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris_h

Good point Mark - not to mention the fact you can accurately describe the shape and contours of every stone you run over!!

Be interested to see the pics of your car shod with 18's
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

s12vea

I will try and post some pictures asap. I am only going to put the 18" on the turbo because I have had them on my previous two roadsters. I will opt for some sensible 17" when the funds allow me....  s:D :D s:D  
Thanks for all your feedback and I am surpised that most people don't like the thought of 18" on a roadster? I think they really suit the car and they fill the arches perfectly? On my first roadster the car was lowered 30mm with eibach springs and the second 35-40mm with pi and on both I didn't get any scrubing? Not even on full lock? I must have been lucky  s:o :o s:o  

steve
TF204 Blue

Chris_h

Steve,

Can't wait to see pics. I reckon the bigger wheels give it a much more purposeful stance and in the words of one of my pi55 taking friends, it becomes 'less gay'.   s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

BTW Steve, to get photo's on here you need to put them on a server somewhere on the internet and then link them to here, you cannot just post them on ROC. If you have problems then pm me
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "Chris_h"Steve,

Can't wait to see pics. I reckon the bigger wheels give it a much more purposeful stance and in the words of one of my pi55 taking friends, it becomes 'less gay'.   s:? :? s:?

if you think a rollerskate looks purposefull then I suppose so   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

peppyuk

Quote from: "philster_d"Hi

This thread is useless without pictures    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Welcome.
  s8) 8) s8)  
Philster.

Did you mean

\'In a state of mental numbness\'

romoby

I have tje same 18" SIZE only for the rear.

For the front, i prefer to put 17" rims with 205/40 rub...

I suggest you the light weight rims as OZ Ultraleggera, for example, the same that i have now...

Anonymous

Quote from: "s12vea"I am surpised that most people don't like the thought of 18" on a roadster?
I am surprised you are surprised.  It's all about adhering to the car's philosophy and whether you like the chav look for your roadster.  Personally, 16 rear and 15 front is the largest I would go for (hang on, isn't that what Toyota did on the facelift?  I wonder why...).

As for the lack of rubbing, it's probably down to the wrong offset.  If you don't respect the '2, it will bite you.

s12vea

Quote from: "kanujunkie"BTW Steve, to get photo's on here you need to put them on a server somewhere on the internet and then link them to here, you cannot just post them on ROC. If you have problems then pm me
Thanks for that I will send you an email - regards steve  s:D :D s:D
TF204 Blue

Anonymous

try a google search for unsprung weight, anything over standard wheels will reduce performance, if the tyres arnt in contact with the road you will
not get drive on anything but dead smooth tarmac. but hey if bling in tesco's car park is more important than handling and performance thats your choice

s12vea

[/img]

steve
TF204 Blue

markiii

yep looks like a rollerskate

Peter Wright

I like  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

markiii

Quote from: "Peter Wright"I like  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

expensive though Pete, at circa £20000 per foot   s:D :D s:D

Chris_h

Attractive wheels - seem to sit well with the lowering.

How does it feel / drive? did you get the opportunity to weigh them?

PS - it is YOUR car, do with it what you like!!  

If function always triumphed over form, we would be without the Audi TT....... now hang on a minute.....  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

dlivingstone_19

looks great. needs kit on car now
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

Anonymous

yeah really like those wheels.
I'm looking for something similiar.
Would be sticking with the stock sizes though.

Interesting all the posts about same size tyres all round ruining handling.
I have not got a clue about the dynamics of road wheels but I notice SP have produced a 17inch rim for their roadster which they have fitted on all four corners. And that's on a car with circa 200bhp. If it was that disatasterous why would they fit them?

Anonymous

BTW: What wheels are they and where did you get them?

Tags: