18" wheels - not such a bad choice !!

Started by s12vea, August 20, 2006, 09:23

markiii

it's not about the wheel stagger, it's about the tyre stagger

you'l notice they use 215 front and 245 rear or something like that

you opic your tyre sizes that you want and then look at what width wheels you need to run that rubber

wheels have a range of safe tyre widths they can accomadate.

now while the width does affect contact patch size and shape the reason you uslly use the smallest width you can get away with is weight, why have more weight due to a wider wheel that your tyre choice does not dictate you need.

In teh world of aftermarket wheels, it's usally cheaper just to make them teh same width, in SP particular case, i'll let them comment
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I see, cheers mark.

That's my plan - I've got my 195 toyos up front and 225 down back so am looking for alloys that will take these, as I'm very happy with the setup.
My new TTE springs will help fill out the arches anyway.

Anonymous

No offense but imo you have ruined your car.

It looks like a roller skate, its done nothing for the handling and speed...

When I look to change my alloys it will be for a lighter set than standard.

s12vea

Quote from: "walkie"No offense but imo you have ruined your car.

It looks like a roller skate, its done nothing for the handling and speed...

When I look to change my alloys it will be for a lighter set than standard.

Each to there own I suppose, I think it looks great   s:) :) s:)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Anonymous

Back here in the "colonies" we have a saying about wheels like these...... we say "Well, pimp my ride!"
IMO - cheesy and ricer.  Take them back.

Anonymous

I think those 18s look ridiculous u can only get away with that if theres a serious body kit been fitted..

Why not save the money buying 18s and just buy some realy good japanese deep dish 15s and that way ur not getting raped for tyres..

just renewed all mine with goodyear eagles for 170  s:) :) s:)

carl_evs

Plenty of slating on here for you!.... each to their own - what you've done isn't to my taste but they dont look completely awful... if everyone did the same mods and had the same tastes then it would be a pretty lame owners club imho!!!

As for debate on same wheel size/ tyre choice... not everyones interested in drivin round like they're the Mcrae's long lost brother so dont mind losing a tiny bit of performance/handling.
(when i want my kicks i'll take the cossie to the track or go rent a plane for a few hours)

Sorry for the rant!.. am in a bad mood,working nights and had to vent somewhere!!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

!!!!!( prepared for much abuse in response now)!!!!!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

s12vea

Quote from: "simonp"BTW: What wheels are they and where did you get them?

They are AEZ Cybers. I bought them from Motormania. They offer plently of wheel and tyre packages at competive prices. I maybe selling my set because I fancy a change. Send me a pm if you are interested.   s:) :) s:)  

steve
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Anonymous

15s look too small... zemcimill those red rims - sparcos?
18s look too big

so whos got 16" front 17" rear?
sounds like the best option for me...

Anonymous

personally i think it looks very nice indeed, and the slating that is sometimes given on here is often un called for. Just do what u want at the end of the day its your car and ur paying the money! nice one   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "demon154"personally i think it looks very nice indeed, and the slating that is sometimes given on here is often un called for. Just do what u want at the end of the day its your car and your paying the money! nice one   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

When the slating is done to emphasise safety it is not uncalled for, it is responsible posting.

Mad Bob

s:( :( s:(  Cant see it, most image hosting sites are blocked at my work... Don't suppose someone could just host an image of it at  m http://xs.to/ m  for us so I can have a look.

Would be appreciated.
Converse Boot!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"
Quote from: "s12vea"I am surpised that most people don't like the thought of 18" on a roadster?
I am surprised you are surprised.  It's all about adhering to the car's philosophy and whether you like the chav look for your roadster.  Personally, 16 rear and 15 front is the largest I would go for (hang on, isn't that what Toyota did on the facelift?  I wonder why...).

Not read this thread before and i know its an old post but that statement is just daft!

carl_evs

Ah...the art of digging up old threads........

What part of the statement do you mean Boss?
If its the part i think you mean then i agree!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

Anonymous

Think the 2 carries them off fine. My concern would be, how harsh has the ride become? whats the effect on standing starts?

Agree with above 2 posts as well

Dont see why there is so much debate on wheel size anyway, if you want better performance bang on a turbo, surely this will have a much bigger impact then reducing unsprung weight by a few pounds.

Mad Bob

I like the wheels, I don't think I would go that big myself, purely because I have gone past the stage of wanting to kit my car up to look like something from Max Power, I still like looking at them but just wouldn't want something like that myself.

I just want mine to look nice but not move too far from the standard look.
Converse Boot!

markiii

Quote from: "m4lly"Think the 2 carries them off fine. My concern would be, how harsh has the ride become? whats the effect on standing starts?

Agree with above 2 posts as well

Dont see why there is so much debate on wheel size anyway, if you want better performance bang on a turbo, surely this will have a much bigger impact then reducing unsprung weight by a few pounds.

nope turbo makes you go faster, big stupid wheels just add weight and muck up teh handling, more power won't fix that
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Although size and weight could be an issue the main problem is theres no available tyres to run the correct overall tyre diameter, so your speedo is always going to be out! this is why 18's would put me off!

dubs

I think the wheels look fab  s:D :D s:D  -in fact I would say they are the best looking wheels i've seen fitted on an mr2 on this site, the majority in that wheels thread just look utter rubbish,  obviously if there is a safety issue that is another matter nobody wants someone to crash but all this 'that looks like a rollerskate' is just jealousy my friend. enjoy them:)
MR2 ROADSTER - RED - HARDTOP - BLACK LEATHER - TTE TURBO - TTE SPRINGS - TTE EXHAUST - MARKiii PIPE - TOYOTA GB BODYKIT - TOYOTA GB LIP SPOILER- DEV\'S KEYHOLES - KENWOOD DDX 6029 - IN PHASE COMPONENTS - KENWOOD BLUETOOTH - KENWOOD iPOD INTERFACE - ALPINE SWD 1600 ACTIVE SUB - 17" SP12 ALLOYS

markiii

nope it's opinion, if it were jealously I'd buy some

Anonymous

These 18's have recieved a bit of a slatin.
What I would really like to know is, are though's who are saying they will ruin the handling speaking from experience, if thats the case then fair play.
The reason I ask is I drove a 2 on 17's and it felt infintely better than the standard set up

Anonymous

in my experiene it does not ruin the handling, but the car is designed for the setup from the factory, 15" up front and 16" on the rear.so you change that and you had better change other things to compensate for the change in handling.trust me the ride is totaly different with 17" than the stock set up and not for the better.
mine only handled better after i put 17"s on because i fitted the extra bracing options available to the car. you only get the sense of better handling because possible wider wheels as most 17" are 7 inch  wide (dont know how wide stock are) but be aware less sidewall on tyres mean less time to react when the car bites, i have seen so many posts regards to people ending in a ditch or spun because of wrong tyre/wheel combinations.
i only went for 17" for looks and nothing else, if i wanted performance i would have kept the 15/16 but you are limited in designs at this size.
at the end of the day its your car you do what you wish but if you ask for somebodies opinion you are gonna get it (see the old posts with my adjustable wing on   s:D :D s:D  )

markiii

Quote from: "m4lly"These 18's have recieved a bit of a slatin.
What I would really like to know is, are though's who are saying they will ruin the handling speaking from experience, if thats the case then fair play.
The reason I ask is I drove a 2 on 17's and it felt infintely better than the standard set up

forget the size for a minute, heavy wheels will make the the car less agile and slower there is no disbuting that.

what they may well do is make you have teh illusion thats it's better due to a reduction in tramlining, or more initial outright grip

however it is possible to have those benefits just through the correct tyre choice, without teh downsides.

big ass wheels kill perfromance, fact.

weather thats an issue is down to teh individual, however teh OP asked for opionions and recieved them

dubs

if this thread is about appearence why is everyone going on about speed and handling? surely we should just be commenting on the overal look?
MR2 ROADSTER - RED - HARDTOP - BLACK LEATHER - TTE TURBO - TTE SPRINGS - TTE EXHAUST - MARKiii PIPE - TOYOTA GB BODYKIT - TOYOTA GB LIP SPOILER- DEV\'S KEYHOLES - KENWOOD DDX 6029 - IN PHASE COMPONENTS - KENWOOD BLUETOOTH - KENWOOD iPOD INTERFACE - ALPINE SWD 1600 ACTIVE SUB - 17" SP12 ALLOYS

markiii

because thats our/my opinion.

however if you want an appearance opinion

it looks like a rollerskate with 18s on

happy  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: