Millway vs Engine Advantages (with results)

Started by Anonymous, August 22, 2006, 12:43

Anonymous

I recently got my Unichip mapped at Millway and was not too chuffed with the results. Ignoring the numbers it didn't feel right and a little rough at the bottom end. I didn't want to bad mouth Millway until I had evidence as a lot of people had used them on here with pleasing results. I decided to get mapped somewhere else and get before and after dyno runs to show which tuner was better   s8) 8) s8)  

My setup.... PPE header, PPE de-cat, H&S exhaust, Markiii inlet, Unichip. Running Optimax. Note : both maps were compared on the same dyno, same day etc.

Run 1
Unichip tuned @ Millway : 150bhp, 137lbft

Then I removed the unichip completely so this used the factory ECU

Run 2
Toyota ECU : 151bhp, 122lbft

Then I got mapped again. This time with one of those engine stethoscope thingys being used.

Run 3
Unichip tuned @ Engine Advantages : 159bhp, 137lbft

m http://www.imagestation.com/5002923/3982390002 m  

Millway map is dashed line
Engine Advantages map is solid line

As I expected the Millway map was pinking at the bottom end so this is now sorted. I know the peak torque is the same for both but the engine advantages tune has >135lbft from 3500rpm up to 6100rpm whereas the Millway tune had >135lbft from 3200rpm up to 4800rpm. I've also lost some of the stupid noises that the car made under load and it idles properly. Cold start, it used to idle at 2k rpm before. Yes I tried the BGB idle re-learn procedure BTW.

I'm finally happy with the car   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Out of interest Matt, how much did AE charge you for a remap? I know from experience that their custom-fabbed parts aren't cheap, so just wondering how the mapping compares?

Nice numbers, btw.  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

£150inc VAT. Very similar price to Millway.

As you predicted, a proper job. Went out on the road, mapped it on the rollers, out on the road again, laptop in hand, monitor and tweak etc

Anonymous

£150?! Now that is dirt cheap, I'm impressed.

SimonC_Here

Don't know if you have the same chip as me but if you do, you get a switch with maps A and B. Did they map both of them to the same like Millways or did they give you the choice to map one or the other, or both?

Where are they again?

Simon

Anonymous

I think it's cheap because the Unichip was already installed on the car and accessible? Perhaps they used Millway's map as a foundation and then tweaked, thus reducing the time it took?

I only asked for one map, they asked if I wanted two and I couldn't see the point. If it runs rough, I disconnect the chip! The only thing that would be useful is a different map for 95RON and optimax but you's need to get mapped on two different occasions for that.

Edit : they are in Essex

Anonymous

Witham in Essex, to be precise.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "Matt"I think it's cheap because the Unichip was already installed on the car and accessible? Perhaps they used Millway's map as a foundation and then tweaked, thus reducing the time it took?

I only asked for one map, they asked if I wanted two and I couldn't see the point. If it runs rough, I disconnect the chip! The only thing that would be useful is a different map for 95RON and optimax but you's need to get mapped on two different occasions for that.

Edit : they are in Essex

I could get the other map set to the Tesco 99RON and leave the current one mapped to Optimax.

Witham you say...

Simon

Anonymous

I'd have one mapped to 99RON and leave the other at 95RON, just in case...

Anonymous

m http://www.imagestation.com/5002923/3982390002 m

Millway map is dashed line
Engine Advantages map is solid line

Anonymous

Still haven't had my unichip tuned after I got it from MG. Must say car still   feels better with the chip than not.
Re the two maps isn't it possible to tune one on super u/l and then set all the values in the second map to 0. Then by selecting the 2nd map you are effectively running just the stock ecu.
Handy when you can only get 95ron or what not.

Anonymous

Quote from: "simonp"Still haven't had my unichip tuned after I got it from MG. Must say car still   feels better with the chip than not.
Re the two maps isn't it possible to tune one on super u/l and then set all the values in the second map to 0. Then by selecting the 2nd map you are effectively running just the stock ecu.
Handy when you can only get 95ron or what not.

Yes, good point   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   Forgot it was that easy....

heathstimpson

Still running the American maps so this looks like a recommendation for the retune  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

mg

Quote from: "simonp"Still haven't had my unichip tuned after I got it from MG. Must say car still feels better with the chip than not.

I agree with that, the map was well done.  Unichip took the time to get the best out of my engine and setup and it shows.  They concentrated on mid-range pulling power rather than max-power red line peak, which is pretty much useless except for pub talk.
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

Anonymous

A proper map for a particular car will have been optimised for mid range torque and top end power in all throttle positions. It all depends on the engine configuration as to how much of each you get. My PPE setup is good at the top but not so good at the bottom. As you can see from the graph, the torque and power is better on the EA map.

roger

Not trying to defend Millways, Matt, but when I had mine done they also did all those things you said AE did. I'm assuming Millways didn't for you. Also it cost £120 + VAT (map only, no install), but since this is over a year ago, price rises must be in!

The other option for RON 95, switch the ON / OFF switch, OFF.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Doesn't the ON/OFF switch reset the ECU? rather than turn off the Unichip?

I am guessing that Millways changed staff at some point recently then. I know they used to be good..... just didn't do a very good map for me.... perhaps a one off!

roger

Quote from: "Matt"Doesn't the ON/OFF switch reset the ECU? rather than turn off the Unichip?

I'm sure it turns the Unichip off, I would guess it doesn't reset the ECU because that is usually done by stopping all power to the ECU, and the Unichip OFF switch still allows the car to run.

Willing to be corrected though   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

Chris

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Still running the American maps so this looks like a recommendation for the retune  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

exactly what i was thinking heath!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "Matt"Doesn't the ON/OFF switch reset the ECU? rather than turn off the Unichip?

I'm sure it turns the Unichip off, I would guess it doesn't reset the ECU because that is usually done by stopping all power to the ECU, and the Unichip OFF switch still allows the car to run.

Willing to be corrected though   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

My unichip manual says that the off swith is to be used for clearing CEL's. It resets the toyota ECU. If you turned the unchip off you'd effectively be wiping the ecu memory every time you turned off the ignition so it would constantly be "re-learning".

Anonymous

Quote from: "mg"They concentrated on mid-range pulling power rather than max-power red line peak, which is pretty much useless except for pub talk.

Running your old unichip MG I have to agree with that 100%- midrange pull is superb, tails off towards the top.

Still need to get it tuned to my car, but thinking of changing manifold first.

It's just finding the time and money!

roger

Quote from: "simonp"My unichip manual says that the off swith is to be used for clearing CEL's. It resets the toyota ECU. If you turned the unchip off you'd effectively be wiping the ecu memory every time you turned off the ignition so it would constantly be "re-learning".

Didn't get a manual only an install sheet. I don't recall seeing that on there. Does it might have other interesting stuff in it? Simon, can you Email,  fax or post me a copy? If so let me know and I'll PM details. Thanks very much
Roger

heathstimpson

Some have commented after the Lakes trip that they were impressed with the torque and speed of my car running the American maps and that they would not bother remapping  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

you have pm roger

Chris

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Some have commented after the Lakes trip that they were impressed with the torque and speed of my car running the American maps and that they would not bother remapping  s:? :? s:?

Hmm, that only confuses matters... maybe a dyno is needed as things stand currently and a remap could be stored as a second map...

edit: btw, i didn't get what i'd call a manual either, just a 2page a4 installation guide and another single a4 sheet describing the features.  For reference, it says that the 'pwr cut/ecu pwr' switch does indeed cut the power to the oem ecu, to provide an easy way to clear cels that may occur when running either unichip map.  It's usual position should be on (I) and the map switch comes defaulted to off (O), meaning the more aggressive timing for map b is selected when on (I).
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: