Heated door mirrors

Started by davidhowson, September 27, 2006, 17:53

davidhowson

The past few mornings have produced quite a dew point on my 2, and unlike just about every other car I have owned, the 2 doesn't have heated door mirrors only electric adjustment. I presume this is right and I'm not missing something?

Has anyone ever come across a mirror glass with the heating elements on it, that will fit into the 2's standard door mirror case?

I'm quite good at the old electrics and the wiring up won't bother me too much; my fall back position here is just to get round to clearing out the garage of all the guff and get the 2 back in doors!

Thanks

David.

Anonymous

No - the MR2 doesn't have them.

I was considering doing this the other day. I expect there is an off the shelf generic aftermarket kit for this..... I'll have a look around.

Anonymous

s:D :D s:D  
just wipe the dew off with a towel!
 :  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

((((Maybe it's like heated seats or aircon. if you don't have it you don't see the point but once you've had it on a car it becomes a must-have.)))))

Anonymous

Good tip   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Have you heard of Rain-X ??

Its avail from HalFrauds, basically once you have washed the car, then follow the instructions, and apply liberally to your windows / mirrors.  This should prevent the dew on the mirrors, as the moisture will just bead and run straight off.  Works for me.

Anonymous

Quote from: "simonp":D just wipe the dew off with a towel!.......

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I don't want to have to carry a towel around! Just want to get in and go.... I'm always in a rush in the mornings and it's bad enough de-misting/de-icing the windscreen....

The Puma has a fine mesh heater element in the windscreen..... that was great.... your eyes soon got used to it!

peppyuk

Quote from: "projectneon"Good tip   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Have you heard of Rain-X ??

Its avail from HalFrauds, basically once you have washed the car, then follow the instructions, and apply liberally to your windows / mirrors.  This should prevent the dew on the mirrors, as the moisture will just bead and run straight off.  Works for me.

I rain-X all glass apart from the windscreen, but still get due form on the rear screen and mirrors, but I just wipe it before I drive off.
\'In a state of mental numbness\'

Tem

Quote from: "Matt"I expect there is an off the shelf generic aftermarket kit for this.....

There is/was. I bought one for one of my earlier cars. It looked like a rear window defogger lines with smaller spaces inbetween. It was a sticker that you cut to size yourself and install it behind the mirror glass.

I didn't find them anymore few years ago.  s:? :? s:?  If you do, let us know.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

roger

Quote from: "peppyuk"I rain-X all glass apart from the windscreen,

Why not the windscreen? That's the only glass I do   s:? :? s:?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

davidhowson

Simon, you're right, once you've had a car with these extras you miss them. I also like the gadgets! - David.

davidhowson

I wondered if another toyota / lexus might share the same mirror glass but have the heater wire on it. But looking thro the various brochures, they all look different. Perhaps I could buy a pair of celica (or which ever happens to be the cheapest!) mirrors and extract the heater off the back??
- David

Anonymous

you guys dont look that hard do you?

m http://www.offroadstore.co.uk/index.php?cPath=597 m

as long as you can cut it down to size in some way it would work

roger

Sorry Perry, what did you search for? Can't seem to find it / them.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Heated Mirror Kit

SteveJ

They appear to have dropped them from their range  s:-( :-( s:-(

Anonymous

nope

go to the 4x4 section

then landrover defender

you'll see the kit then

Anonymous

hold it, theyve gone?    your right

Anonymous

It was there yesterday !!   £40    s:? :? s:?

davidhowson

Right, quick update on this one. I found a source who can supply various sizes of heated pads for DIY heated mirrors. I installed a pair on Saturday afternoon, took about three hours as I had to take the door trim off, mirrors off and strip bit off trim out, make up wiring loom etc etc. I have tested the best I can (the frosty nights have gone!!) and the glass warms up a treat and I am sure it will do the job.

If anyone is interested in this mod, let me know and if there is enough interest I could put some kits together??

With this mod and my heated seats, the 2 is getting rather civilised for everyday transport without lossing the "weekend" appeal!!

markiii

yes please
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

Me too!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

spit

Me three!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

rob_g_clarkson

i'll have one!!!  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

And another please.

Tem

Not for the '2, but for another car, yes.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

davidhowson

Looks as though this could be a runner! I will try out the installation for a day or two while I also put together some component lists, instructions and costs. Thanks for the interest - David

Tem, I'll drop you a pm on the heater pads on their own in the morning, as there are various sizes.

Tags: