Finally got some new wheels!!

Started by Anonymous, October 14, 2006, 18:10

Anonymous

Hello

After a long wait, i got myself some new rimms  s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)  

I want to do my callipers next, how long does it take to dry? and what is the best stuff to use??

x

Anonymous

caliper paint, and it depends on the weather!  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Not to my taste I must admit, but as long as you're happy that's the main thing. What size tyres you running front and back, btw?

As for caliper paint, Halfrauds stuff is actually pretty good which makes a change, so might be worth popping down there tomorrow and grabbing a pot seeing as it's supposed to be a nice day all day!  s8) 8) s8)

enid_b

im not a big fan of aftermarket rims, but they look the BUSINESS.

as per calipers, see nelix

s:P :P s:P
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Nice wheels I reckon they look good with the red. Foliatec paint is good although expensive £24 at Halfrauds. I saw the same at Carnoisseur for £19. Takes a good couple of hours to do and you need to not drive for 24hrs. You don't want brake dust on your nice new paint. Caliper stickers from Steve are really easy to apply and make a difference.

J spec badge next? and what about 03 vents?  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  spend spend apend

Anonymous

I found the best paint to use is the enamel paint in the small jars from homebase and B&Q - plasticoat I think?

Cheap, lasts forever and doesn't seem to burn-up from brake heat. Plus it dries in 15 minutes! Would recommend a couple of coats though.

Richie.

Edit - its plastikote and pictures of what you're looking for can be found on this link:  m http://www.cornerhardware.com/index.php ... _6924_7578 m

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"Not to my taste I must admit, but as long as you're happy that's the main thing. What size tyres you running front and back, btw?

As for caliper paint, Halfrauds stuff is actually pretty good which makes a change, so might be worth popping down there tomorrow and grabbing a pot seeing as it's supposed to be a nice day all day!  s8) 8) s8)

The tyres are 205/40/17 on front and rear

heathstimpson

Quote from: "sexybrunette"
Quote from: "Ekona"Not to my taste I must admit, but as long as you're happy that's the main thing. What size tyres you running front and back, btw?

The tyres are 205/40/17 on front and rear
As you have probably read before you should never have the same width on the front and back; swop the backs for some 225's before it spins  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I like the rims by the way  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

ever feel that people just don't listen to this advice heath   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I could almost sense that being the case, especially after seeing the Kumho tyres on...

As Heath says, do yourself a favour and ditch the rears now for bigger ones, or you will be seeing your car in a ditch at some point this winter.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

northernalex

i quite like the rims .. nice  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

GSB

Quote from: "sexybrunette"The tyres are 205/40/17 on front and rear
As you have probably read before you should never have the same width on the front and back; swop the backs for some 225's before it spins  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I like the rims by the way  s8) 8) s8) [/quote]

Quote from: "markiii"ever feel that people just don't listen to this advice heath   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

That's it... I've lost the will to live...

I have lost count of the number of times I have written the very same statement regarding the front/rear tyre size differential. A quicj search reveals about a dozen incidences on the first page alone. I really cant be arsed to explain it all again, but It seems that people are unable to comprehend that the round shiny things wrapped in rubber are for anything other than looking good when reflected in shop windows... People, those insignicant and annoyingly expensive bits of rubber are the only thing keeping you on the road and out of the casualty unit. Fit the wrong sizes and expect to see street furniture up close and personal very soon indeed. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra £50 getting the right rubber, rather than writing off my car, or placing myself and my passenger in danger/hospital/traction/intensive care/a wheelchair, or a coffin...   Spend the money, or put Darwin in the driving seat...

Thats it, I am unwilling to risk repetetive strain injury and carpal tunnel by writting about this subject any more. If people get hurt/maimed/scarred, disfigured/disabled or financially inconvienienced, then they cant say they weren't warned... Short of beating them around the head with a (correctly sized and inflated) Goodyear F1 I can do no more....  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

(S.B. None of this is specifically, or directly aimed at you, so please dont take my ranting as anything other than my desire to save you from skin grafts. However, in the name of vanity, after many other members have done the same and paid with a bare minimum of their no claims bonus, you have just fitted shiny rims with shit tyres, thus sacrificing the handling and safety of your car for  "looking good"... So, if the cap fits.... )

P.S. This is my personal opinion on the matter, and is not in any way anything to do with MR2ROC, so if anyone really disagree's with what I've said, you can take it up with me directly. Dont expect much sympathy though, I know damn well that I'm right.

P.P.S. Yes, I know I have a poor attitude. Get over it...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

they dont do 225/40/17

can i have 215/40/17?

markiii

it's better than what you have, but still not ideal,

thats said I ran that stagger for a year with no issues

what you really want is 225/35/17
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"what you really want is 225/35/17

I could't agree more!

red_leicester

Maybe flog the Kuhmos on ebay and buy some decent rubber e.g. Toyo Proxys for about £200 ?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

evileye_wrx

Do Toyo do a Proxy T1-R 225/35/17 tyre? Cos I thought they didn't.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

heathstimpson

Remember sexybrunette Slurpy ignored the advise about putting the same size rubber on his new 17 inchers and ended up writing it off. His brother wrote loads on here saying everyone was scare mongering; but the proof was with the result. The car ended in a ditch; at least he was all ok.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

toyo dont do 225/35/17 unfortunatly.
dunlop sp900 are a good bet.
i am currently running hankooks and not have any problems.
ordered from mytyres.co.uk £65 per tyre.

markiii

just remember to make sure that when you sort teh sizes your tyres are still teh same brand all round

Chris_h

I was a bit pigheaded about this earlier in the year. I enjoyed the car with wider front (to match the rear) but that was in the summer on very grippy roads.

I speak as having just come unscathed from a snap 720 (yes 720) spin....... Wasn't a nice experience I can tell you - especially as you see hedge, then wall, then hedge pirouetting past the windscreen. This was in my 1 day old Ford Racing Puma - and I wasn't caning it.

I can only assume (hope) I hit a diesel spill. Anyway, point of the story is that this 'snap' stuff is horrid - and in variable conditions at this time of year, its well worth heeding advice - and slowing down. Having the right tyres may not prevent the extreme stuff - but you'll be in a much better position to avoid ending up in the wall   s:( :( s:(  

Happy 2ing!

I hope to rejoing the fold just as soon as I have this noisy blue thing out of my system.   s:D :D s:D
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

aaronjb

Aye - snap oversteer is a killer (literally), and it gets 'snappier' as you move the grip forward.  Although I've driven cars that are 'snappier' than the MR2 - short wheelbase front engined cars particularly (or anything French with a torsion beam at the back!)..

Power-induced oversteer, however, is fun  s;) ;) s;)  (as anyone who saw me joining the M4 last Tuesday can vouch for..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

SB -
Just want to say two things
1. Like the rims.  s8) 8) s8)  
2. Ditch the tyres before they ditch you.  s:x :x s:x  

Seriously,I can only agree with everyone elses comments, those tyres are s**t !
Type my-tyres into your google and see what comes up. I had a quick look for 225/35/17 for you - they show a range of summer tyres, which although not ideal for a lot of winter driving ( are you going to be doing much ?) they would be considerably better than what you have now.
You can sell the originals easily enough on ebay.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Tem

So which Kumho Ecsta they are anyway? That's all I can see on my screen.  s:? :? s:?

Some of them are actually way better than say Toyo T1-R.  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I run Kumho Ecsta's on my Volvo. They are not that bad!

In the picture it looks like they are rated at 80H - its the only bit i can read. I thought tyres for the 2 needed to be V rated?

Tags: