Finally got some new wheels!!

Started by Anonymous, October 14, 2006, 18:10

markiii

Quote from: "Jaso"I run Kumho Ecsta's on my Volvo. They are not that bad!

In the picture it looks like they are rated at 80H - its the only bit i can read. I thought tyres for the 2 needed to be V rated?

they do
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

For the sort of money you are going to be pay for this wheel and tyre combo, you are "unlikley" (read: absolutley no way on earth...) to be getting the cream of Kumho's range of sporting rubber.  Its a fact that many members here have spent the £500-ish that this wheel-tyre combo would have cost on tyres alone... When you pay budget money, you rarely get decent performance, but even if you do, its doing you no good to have bought the wrong sizes, as you cant safely extract any of the performance anyway. Obvioulsy the main point of consideration here is SB's safety. If I were in her shoes (not that they'd suit me - its doubtful they'd match my handbag), I'd flog the rubber she has fitted, and get some proper tyres, yes it'll be a bit of a sting, but if it keeps her out of the hospital, its more than worth it...

Secondary considerations:

Speed rating: H rated tyres are good for 130mph, but from a "covering your arse" point of view, you should never fit tyres of a lower speed rating than the manufacturer has reccomended. This "could" have ramifications in the event of insurance claim (ironically made more likely by fitment of wrong sized rubber)... Insurance assesor see's wrong rated tyres on car = insurance companycrawls out of claim in usual fashion of slimey money grabbing bastards out for a quick buck.... I have no idea of the legal standing of this argument, but I'd bet my last £5 note that your average loss adjuster on a tight margin would give it a try... Its also worth considering weather you could get a refund on the tyres on these grounds?

Wieght: What do these rims wiegh? My guess, at £500 a set inc. tyres, is LOTS... Weight kills performance...

Locking wheelnuts:  Might be worth investing in a set there SB. False economy not to in my opinion....

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

i have the standard 2003 5 spoke wheels. what size tyres do i need. i am getting the toyo proxies( on markiii's advice) cos i am currently running yoko's on the front and bridgestones on the rear(car purchased like that).

Anonymous

Quote from: "dan1111"i have the standard 2003 5 spoke wheels. what size tyres do i need. i am getting the toyo proxies( on markiii's advice) cos i am currently running yoko's on the front and bridgestones on the rear(car purchased like that).

A search reveals the answer :

195/50/15 front
and

225/40/16 rear

This is what I am running.

Anonymous

yeah sorry, i keep forgetting about search.

loadswine

I wonder if SB might feel a little down after seeing some of the comments on here. Please don't, the fact that so many members are posting here with sound advice means they care about your welfare and don't want you to suffer adverse effects from your mod.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"Speed rating: H rated tyres are good for 130mph, but from a "covering your arse" point of view, you should never fit tyres of a lower speed rating than the manufacturer has reccomended. This "could" have ramifications in the event of insurance claim (ironically made more likely by fitment of wrong sized rubber)... Insurance assesor see's wrong rated tyres on car = insurance companycrawls out of claim in usual fashion of slimey money grabbing bastards out for a quick buck.... I have no idea of the legal standing of this argument, but I'd bet my last £5 note that your average loss adjuster on a tight margin would give it a try...

Over here we have to have a sign/print/whatever in the cabin, so that any possible driver can see it. If the tyres under the car have lower speed rating than supposed to that is. It's quite hilariois to see some "MAX SPEED xxx KMH" labels in a car that could never reach that anyway.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Wonder if the same would apply in UK? At least that should keep the insurance companies happy. (or unhappy, not being able to void payments)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"I wonder if SB might feel a little down after seeing some of the comments on here. Please don't, the fact that so many members are posting here with sound advice means they care about your welfare and don't want you to suffer adverse effects from your mod.

I dont relly. The tyres that i have not that bad at all.
The fact is that i had 185 front and 205 on my stock wheels and it didnt seem to make a difference when i span my car, so to me it doesnt make any sence.

markiii

oh well, fair enough,

will you be wanting grapes, chocolates or flowers?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

edward.carter

Quote from: "sexybrunette"
Quote from: "loadswine"I wonder if SB might feel a little down after seeing some of the comments on here. Please don't, the fact that so many members are posting here with sound advice means they care about your welfare and don't want you to suffer adverse effects from your mod.

I dont relly. The tyres that i have not that bad at all.
The fact is that i had 185 front and 205 on my stock wheels and it didnt seem to make a difference when i span my car, so to me it doesnt make any sence.
Yes but now it will be even easier to spin your car than before. you may have spun before but now it will be a lot lot easier to spin. Honestly do believe everything you have read. There are a lot of wise "old" men on here   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    (sorry guys)   s:) :) s:)

markiii

wise old men are starting to feel like they are discussing teh emporers new clothes here Ed

edward.carter

I have had a few tail happy moments, and i can feel the difference in grip. I know for a fact that if the tyres had been same all way round the balance would of been shifted and it wouldnt have been so progressive and catchable! thank god for staggered tyres...

GSB

Quote from: "sexybrunette"I dont relly. The tyres that i have not that bad at all.

So you'll just ignore the advice of peers in the know, and blow the thousands of man hours poured into the development of the ride and handling dynamics of your car, and just go with a random set of tyres. There ok though because you cant see any reason why they shouldnt be. After all, they're round and black and rubbery...

Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it isn't so...

Well done, you've ruined your car, made it dangerous as hell to drive, and made it handle, accelerate and change direction like a drunk dog. A worthwhile modification I'm sure I dont agree...

SB... I, along with all the others here, have made my point, and I refuse to beat my head against the wall any longer...

Please, take the stand, Mr. Charles Darwin...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

northernalex

Quote from: "markiii"wise old men are starting to feel like they are discussing the emporers new clothes here Ed

Wonder if we could get Sb to wear the emporers new clothes  lol.

Seriously though SB these guys know what they are talking about, listen to the advice and please get your tyres staggered.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

so, should i just change all tyres for different brand tyres, or change the rears for 225/35/17 or 215/40/17

markiii

since they don't meet the speed rating change the lot.

you should have 205/40/17 front and 225/35/17 rear, though if you really struggle with the 225/35 a 215/40 will be ok at a push

all 4 tyres should be the same brand, and model

all should be at least V rated.

actual brand is much a personal choice so whilst you will find many recomendations on here most things will be ok, other than really bad budget stuff like nankangs

Anonymous

how do you know if they are V rated?

red_leicester

It's part of the size of the tyre e.g. 195/65R15H (H-rated).

195 is the width in mm
65 is the ratio of width to tyrewall height
15 is the wheel rim size in inches
H is the speed rating
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

mine are H?! thats not bad is it?

Anonymous

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

there you go to get you started.just put in the tyre size you require from the drop down menu (suggest you try the backs first 225/35/17. v rating above 149mph) then find a match for the fronts.
hope this helps.
 p.s. like the wheels  s:D :D s:D

markiii

what you need to remember is that speed ratings are an indicator of teh tyres dynamic performance, hence just because you don't drive at that speed is not a reason to ignore it. The integrity of a tyre is tested by many factors, such as cornering, in addition to speed. So if toyota reccomend a given rating, stick to or exceed it. Speed is just an easy way to categorise them.

H is worse than V, V is worse than W, W is worse than Z

if necessary the front and rears can be different ratings as long as all are at least the minimum rated for the car.

Anonymous

Quote from: "sexybrunette"mine are H?! thats not bad is it?

On a car where H rated tyres are specified no. On a car where V rated tyres are specified the two immediate problems are a) they could fail at high speed b) the use of lower specification tyres could invalidate your insurance.

The tyre speed rating is the maximum speed that the manufacturer recommends the tyre be used at, H rating has a max speed of 130mph whilst V rating is 149mph.

Tem

Posted my experience with same sized tyres over here:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13362 m

Be careful with them. Very careful.  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

edward.carter

Quote from: "Moleshome"
Quote from: "sexybrunette"mine are H?! thats not bad is it?
b) the use of lower specification tyres could invalidate your insurance.
Which you could potentially try and save some money by going back to where you brought the wheels from and tell them that they dont meet the min spec for the car and you want them to change them for proper stuff that way you will only have to pay the difference. its just an idea.

Anonymous

Check this out Linky. Probably too much info but very very helpfull

Tags: