LED Bulb replacement

Started by Anonymous, November 16, 2006, 18:46

Anonymous

Right - £4 a pair from fleabay - quad white LED replacement bulbs.

Needed to replace my number plate lights as these mysteriously blew so thought I'd try these instead of normal filament bulbs, also changed my sidelights at the same time.

Before and after below:

Normal bulb left, LED bulb right.

Quite like the effect on the number plate not too sure on the sidelights but could be useful if you convert the headlights to HID (as I plan to)

Anonymous

Very nice!!!

Do you have a reference for ebay?

I dont know what to search for!

Anonymous

These were the ones I bought -you need a 5w 501 bulb (wedge type). The guy I got mine from was 1st class - I'd recommend his product.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180049334686

Anonymous

What colour are the ones at the photo you posted?
White or Blue?

I have a post 03 car... is the 5w 501 bulb the ones I seek as well ?

Both rear and front leds (as at your photo) are exactly the same pair of leds?

Thansk mate.

Anonymous

I like 'em, Im guessing you buy the white ones? is it just as easy as plug and play as described on ebay?

leon_in_uk

what sizes for the interior light?

mine is really dim!
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Tem

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"what sizes for the interior light?

mine is really dim!

Time to visit a Mitsubishi dealer:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7807 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

rob_g_clarkson

Quote from: "SimosSpyder"What colour are the ones at the photo you posted?
White or Blue?

I have a post 03 car... is the 5w 501 bulb the ones I seek as well ?

Both rear and front leds (as at your photo) are exactly the same pair of leds?

Thansk mate.

hello... i'm in the same boat as Simo here... are they white or blue bulbs front and rear  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

I really like the look of them..   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

edward.carter

Liking those front sidelights? are the pre 03 and post 03 sidelights the same ?

roger

I like them as well. Decided to do a bit of Googling. £5 per pair looks a good price (usually £5+ each).

LKPerformance sell 20 for £30 (not sure of postagehere. Could save a couple of bob each, or could sell at £5 per pair and any profit goes to Club. Obviously postage, payPal etc to take into account.

Another alternative I found was a 5 LED bulb here for £7ish a  pair. Do we have a 15mm hole?

They also do 4 LED for £2.35 each (£5.58 a pair!!).
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

thanks for the comments (soory I've been away) - Finally I'm a trend setter!

They are white bulbs - want to keep things legal.
And yes just a straight swap with the original bulb less than 20mins for all four.
Sorry I only know the bulb fitments for my 03 car so can't comment on prefacelift.

Anonymous

Anyone replaced the rear side & brake lights with LEDs or even indicator bulbs?

Anonymous

no , but it should be a simple swap. I haven't bothered yet - because the bulbs will be behind colour filters I'd think the change in light quality qould be less.

Anonymous

Quote from: "edward.carter"Liking those front sidelights? are the pre 03 and post 03 sidelights the same ?

Does anyone know what type is needed for pre03, is it the same?

Anonymous

ebay ref:  180053653555

buy it now £3.50 + £2.50 postage.  I submitted a best offer of £2.60 for two pairs.  Accepted! -total cost £8.10 for 4 inc post.

Anonymous

Just looked the ebay ref as above; had a quick read thru and saw this;

"Do not use LED bulbs in the same housing with head lamps, the heat will cause them to fail quickly and void the warranty."

Is this just being overly cautious? or should I restrain myself?

markiii

for teh price of an LED bulb

suck it and see
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

no probs after 1st week - LED bulbs have a longer lifespan than filament bulbs anyway so it may even out.
Interestingly he does list them as sidelight bulbs - which is strange as most sidelights will be in the same housing as the main beam

rob_g_clarkson

yep i reckon it's a 'get out clause'....

Anonymous

QuoteJust looked the ebay ref as above; had a quick read through and saw this;

"Do not use LED bulbs in the same housing with head lamps, the heat will cause them to fail quickly and void the warranty."

Is this just being overly cautious? or should I restrain myself?

I don't think this will be a problem with the 2 - I've worked with LEDs quite a bit in the past, they're very tough.  The main beam is sat in its own cubby hole behind the lense and therefore shouldn't generate too much heat on the LED surface.  Also, the whole unit feels cool enough to touch - however it is rather chilly out.

for £4.05 it's not that much of a gamble.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ShaunyF"I've worked with LEDs quite a bit in the past, they're very tough.

Ever tried reversing the polarity and cranking up the voltage   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

*sentimental thoughts of when i was an apprentice*

back on topic though, LED's are pretty resilient and unless they were in very close proximity to the main beam bulbs then i doubt you would have much of an issue to be honest.

I think its just the guy writing a disclaimer just in case.

Richie.

Anonymous

QuoteEver tried reversing the polarity and cranking up the voltage

Yep! I've even strapped a tattulum capacitor in parallel.  The trick is to stick a resisitor across them so the regulating PSU doesn't drop the voltage as the current increased!..aaahhh many of fun days getting paid to blow things up for the government.

On topiuc.  This guy also does amber ones.  Am I right in thinking the post 03 2 has amber bulbs & clear lenses for the side repeators. If so it should be a quick drop in with definately no heat issues.

Anonymous

yep definately clear lenses on mine.

worth a punt...

Tags: