LED Bulb replacement

Started by Anonymous, November 16, 2006, 18:46

Anonymous

Gone for 2 sets, but the ebay shop is out of stock!! Must be all our talk drumming up the interest!

roger

Quote from: "ShaunyF"
QuoteJust looked the ebay ref as above; had a quick read through and saw this;

"Do not use LED bulbs in the same housing with head lamps, the heat will cause them to fail quickly and void the warranty."

Is this just being overly cautious? or should I restrain myself?

I don't think this will be a problem with the 2 - I've worked with LEDs quite a bit in the past, they're very tough.  The main beam is sat in its own cubby hole behind the lense and therefore shouldn't generate too much heat on the LED surface.  Also, the whole unit feels cool enough to touch - however it is rather chilly out.

for £4.05 it's not that much of a gamble.

When trawling the LED's on Ebay, somebody else put this warning, saying the LED must be at least 3 (inches or cms, not sure - great help) away from main lights otherwise the plastic shaft melts.

Whether that applies to all LEDs, don't know. Whether it stops you taking them out or ruins the holder, don't know.

Just something to add to the discussion. BTW how far is the sidelight from the main?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Does anyone know how to remove the front light?
I dont have a clue... maybe a URL with some photos?

I dont know how to install that led! Actually, how the light comes apart , so I can install the led.

Thanks

edward.carter

dont you just pop the front plastics off then you can get to the back of the light from there to change them

Anonymous

QuoteBTW how far is the sidelight from the main?

Probably >3cm & <3in - the side is sat at the bottom of the large reflector. If you drive around with the high-beam on all day  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   there may be a heat issue as the high-beam bulb is sat over the top of the side. The main beam is concealed in the tubular housing behind the lense and therefore (in theory) should'nt cause a problem.  If it does melt its unlikely it will do long-term damange to the connector IMO.

Quotedont you just pop the front plastics off then you can get to the back of the light from there to change them

That was my plan.  However, as I remember when changing the HL, you require the dexterity of squirrel to get into the thing.

Anonymous

Changing the sidelights is easy!

No need to remove the light unit as you can get to it from behind.

Pop out the front plastics (about 16 trim pins which just push out then you can lift the plastic off in one go)

The sidelights are quite easily accesible but you need some dexterity (turn the sidelights on - it will make it obvious where they are when looking at the rear of the light assembly). The bulb holders twist out - push the LED bulb in (if it doesn't work change the polarity), reinsert and twist back to lock.

10mins max.  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Ok ... I think I screwed up...

I removed the clips ... I lost / damaged some of them!
Some while i tried to popup them out, they poped underneath the plastic , and god knows where they have gone.

So I'm now missing some clips ... any idea where I can find any ? MRT or Ebay?

Besides that, I found the bulb too low,so I was not able to remove the old and insert the new led one. I'll try again!

Anonymous

Ahhh!

I shoul;d have said watch out for the clips they have a mind of their own! A couple of mine went flying but I found all but one (and I can live without that).
Mr T would be the best bet as I wouldn't expect them to  be more than a few pennies.

Surprised you couldn't reach the bulb holder, then again I do have very small hands  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Ok, finally I installed them and they look perfect!

The only thing is that they dont match with the post 03 projector main headbeam...I guess there will be something similar at ebay for matching the color. Or better, is there a solution to change the foglights to a matching colour?

Does anyone know what kind of bulbs are the main headlight beam and the foglights?

Thanks Simonp for your help!

Anonymous

foglights are sealed units as far as I am aware - the MR2 manual says that if a foglight bulb goes it should be taken to a dealer and will need replacing as a whole unit.
As an aside I know that the TTE front bumper has the option of uprated foglights (see their website)

A quick search should come up with the post 03 headlight fitting (H7 maybe?)

IMO If you want to really spruce up the lights you need to look into HID main bulbs as I feel these will match up nicely with the LED's (lack of funding is stopping me presently)

Anonymous

From the searches i've done, I found it's H7.

I'll go for a set of Ultra White Xenon H7 Bulbs, ... they only cost 10 quid or something.

I'll try and let you know!

rob_g_clarkson

(rob_g_clarkson is keeping his eyes peeled for simos results!)

rob_g_clarkson

Anonymous

Chris

yep, as already mentioned the low beam headlight is H7, while the fog light is 9006...  according to the lamp replacement guide on sylvania.com
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

rob_g_clarkson

ok my leds and H7's are in and i love em.....

can the colour of the projectors ('03 car) be changed to a more white (instead of yellowish) colour easily?

EDIT:

found an answer to my own question (wonders will never cease!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13444&highlight=

Anonymous

I've done mine and they look great!
Great result, i'll post some pictures soon.

Anonymous

LEDs are in - much improved.  Now for the indicators & side repeaters!   s:P :P s:P

rob_g_clarkson

i broke most (well 15 out of 17!!!) of my clips that hold the plastic tray in... have a guess how much MrT charge for a set of replacements.... 73p each!!!

Blimey £12.41p!!! am I alone in thinking this is a bit steep  s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

since they are 10cents in teh US yes
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

Quote from: "rob_g_clarkson"i broke most (well 15 out of 17!!!) of my clips that hold the plastic tray in...

I guess you didn't get them out properly!

In case its a problem for others, just press the centre (with a small screwdriver or similar) so it moves down a couple of mm. You can then pull the clip out with your finger nails.

To put them back in, pull the centre pin out from the body (again only 2-3mm is all that is required), push the whole clip into the hole, then push the centre back into the body to hold it.

Like most of the clips on the 2, when you know how to do them they are easy, but first time round is a pig.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

rob_g_clarkson

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "rob_g_clarkson"i broke most (well 15 out of 17!!!) of my clips that hold the plastic tray in...

I guess you didn't get them out properly!

In case its a problem for others, just press the centre (with a small screwdriver or similar) so it moves down a couple of mm. You can then pull the clip out with your finger nails.

To put them back in, pull the centre pin out from the body (again only 2-3mm is all that is required), push the whole clip into the hole, then push the centre back into the body to hold it.

Like most of the clips on the 2, when you know how to do them they are easy, but first time round is a pig.

ah... i was using the old technique of brute force and ignorance!!!!

Draggon

Hope this hasnt been covered already...but are LEDs legal as sidelight replacements?
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Anonymous

My 2 just got through its first MOT with them in!

Tags: