LED Bulb replacement

Started by Anonymous, November 16, 2006, 18:46

roger

I put my LED side-bulbs in yesterday - took me 45 minutes!

1st one about 90 seconds (I run without my plastic tray), the second one the balance.

I dropped it, and it settled on the front "nappy".    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

After much poking and scrabbling and getting nowhere, I jacked the back of the car up, banged the plastic, and it moved forward and dropped through a square hole in the plastic.

Moral of the story - make sure when you are refitting that

1. The bulb is in firmly, and

2. You place the holder into the light squarely without hitting the side of the lens!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Draggon

Thanks Shauny and Roger.

Might have to go buy some...ive already ordered some H7's for the Vectra from here  m http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ m  and so i get a set free  s:) :) s:)  for the MR2.
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Anonymous

I was so impressed by simonp's new leds that I really wanted the same ones.

If anyone is looking (the white seem not to list on ebay atm) then the seller has a website  w www.directleds.co.uk w  which has them.

Although I'm not looking forward to loosing all these clips when I try to change the sidelights!

Mike.

roger

Yes there is. I bought these.

Actually shipped from Hong Kong even though he states UK trader.  Good value, basic packaging (just rolled up in bubble wrap), but never mind.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tem

Quote from: "roger"Actually shipped from Hong Kong even though he states UK trader.

Too many are doing that these days!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Makes people believe the item is already within EU, so you don't have to pay any taxes and the price looks more competitive. No big deal on small items like this, but on more expensive stuff caught by customs...  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

philster_d

yes and I have been waiting 2 weeks for something that should have came from London in 2 days.  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Hi, found this site to be a hub of activity... plus you guys seem quite active on my sites, so I thought I would pop by and say 'hi' and don't worry I am not here to sell, just happy to answer a few questions.

Firstly, I should own up, while I love the MR2 (and Celica) and even came very close to buying one I ended up with... MX-5, sorry   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Secondly, well I have been deeling with these LEDs for some time, so happy to answer any questions.. in fact I have already started!

Good to see a few familar names (and of course happy customers!)

All the best
David Sayce
directleds

In reply to the questions already on the forum...

simonp -
>> Thanks for your comments!

"is it just as easy as plug and play as described on ebay?"
>> 99.9% of the time it is a simple replacement, in fact it is not different to replacing with a normal bulb

SimosSpyder -
>>Good to see another happy customer!

"Anyone replaced the rear side & brake lights with LEDs or even indicator
bulbs?"
>> These LED replacement bulbs are again a direct replacement, for brake lights
it is worth remembering the light spread from the LED is often different to
regular bulbs, so look for ones with forward and side facing LEDs

"no , but it should be a simple swap. I haven't bothered yet - because the bulbs will be behind colour filters I'd think the change in light quality qould be less."
>> When replaceing with LEDs behind colour filters/lenses always pick the same colour as the filter/lenses ie Amber or Red for the best colour reproduction. By the way LEDs will often give a shaper brighter light than bulbs and the time they take to light up is noticably faster!

ShaunyF - "ebay ref: 180053653555
buy it now £3.50 + £2.50 postage. I submitted a best offer of £2.60 for two
pairs. Accepted! -total cost £8.10 for 4 inc post."
>> You must have caught me when I was feeling generious!

b3ful - ""Do not use LED bulbs in the same housing with head lamps, the heat will cause them to fail quickly and void the warranty."
Is this just being overly cautious? or should I restrain myself?"
>> Generally LEDs are very robust although temperature is a big killer (anything over about 90-100c). It might be over cautious, but the possiblility of failure is there, it is simply a limitation of all LEDs

markiii - "for the price of an LED bulb suck it and see"
>> I Like your thinking!!

simonp - "no probs after 1st week - LED bulbs have a longer lifespan than
filament bulbs anyway so it may even out.
Interestingly he does list them as sidelight bulbs - which is strange as most
sidelights will be in the same housing as the main beam"
>> Yup the lifespan of LEDs is around 80,000 hours and up to 100,000 hours, heat is normally what will reduce this, yup most sidelights are housed in with the mainbeam... just trying to give people all the facts

rob_g_clarkson - yep i reckon it's a 'get out clause'....
>> hmmm.... suppose so, although I normally replace any that fail anyway (FOC)

Richie - "back on topic though, LED's are pretty resilient and unless they were in very close proximity to the main beam bulbs then i doubt you would have much of an issue to be honest.I think its just the guy writing a disclaimer just in case."
>> Very resilient, in real life I would have thought they would need to be
within 20-30mm for the heat to reall take effect... okay guys, hands up, it is a disclaimer, thankfully I have not had any 'blobs of plastic' returned... yet

ShaunyF - "many of fun days getting paid to blow things up for the government."
>> OOOO, sounds like fun

"This guy also does amber ones. Am I right in thinking the post 03 2 has amber bulbs & clear lenses for the side repeators. If so it should be a quick drop in with definately no heat issues."
>> Yup amber in your side repeators, although the low voltage can couse a 'blown bulb' error, ie fast flashing, this is easily solved with a resistor (also available) to regulate the current.

b3ful - "Gone for 2 sets, but the ebay shop is out of stock!! Must be all our
talk drumming up the interest!"
>>Yes you are!! THANK YOU!! all back in stock now  

roger - "Whether that applies to all LEDs, don't know. Whether it stops you
taking them out or ruins the holder, don't know."
>> ALL LED's are currently prone to heat failure, but the heat would just stop them working, it is not hot enough to melt or cause damage - another eBuyer being cautious!

Draggon - "Hope this hasnt been covered already...but are LEDs legal as
sidelight replacements?"
>> Excellent question... bit of a gray area, as with other I have LEDs on my car, no probs with MOT. Police get upset if you use colours though. I also get asked about e-marking... as LED are diodes and not bulbs thay are not e-marked. Perhaps there will be changes when LED headlights start to be used in 2008/9

mw18 - "I was so impressed by simonp's new leds that I really wanted the same ones. If anyone is looking (the white seem not to list on ebay atm) then the seller has a website  w www.directleds.co.uk w  which has them
>> I do like it when you mention the website! All back in stock now

roger - "Actually shipped from Hong Kong even though he states UK trader. Good
value, basic packaging (just rolled up in bubble wrap), but never mind"
>> remember if the cost is over £18 you are liable for VAT and import duty. Also if you buy the 6-LED lights make sure they are the correct size, often they are T-13 rather than T-10 which might not fit. 6-LED T-10 sidelights are available and are not polarized (so work which ever way around you put them)

Anonymous

Mine are still going strong btw - absolutely love them.

Anonymous

Good to hear it!   s:D :D s:D  

Really like the pictures, the LEDs make the rear look neater with the sharp light they produce

David

JoniiBoii

JoniiBoii

Any ideas guys? It's just I wanna buy them as soon as possible?

EDIT*

right guys ive found these too?

the reason why i havent gone ahead and brought these are mainly because i dont know if they will fit, i know they have to be 501's W5W and theyve got to be the wedge style too, but everything ive found on spyder search hasnt included a link, and if they have included a link its not worked due to the amount of time that has past since posting the link, so will someone please tell me if they are ok....?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-T10-W5W-50 ... 45fcaaafcd m

OR

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-W5W-501-X ... 1e617d724b m

just a simple yes or no would be brilliant,
would be very muchly appreciated !

normanh

I think you my find that strictly speaking these LED bulbs and not road legal as they are not E Marked - a specific requirement, similar to retrofit HID conversions.

norman

Anonymous

Ive never changed a bulb, but it takes me 5 mins to get the headlight out.
The awkward bit is at the outermost part of the unit is a 10mm bolt build into the casing. This passes through a small hole in the wing with a nut on, which is only accessible from under the arch.
No need to take off the liner or bumper, just some of the fixings.
Search for headlight removal to find a guide. If no luck come back to me and Ill make one.

JoniiBoii

yeh previously i had to remove my front bumper to take the headlight off the car, so this isnt  necessary then  sdick dick sdick 2ski?
reason being is because i could never get my hand down far enough to reach the clip to twist the bulb out for the sidelights...

JoniiBoii

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25586 l

this seems to be all i can find....?

via spyder search all the rest are stating condensation problems etc etc ....?

JoniiBoii

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19986&p=259126 l

HELP lol!
theres got to be a quicker way to do it !

nathanMR2

Undo the top bolt/screws for the head lights and this will allow them to move up about 5-10mm. Then use a finger from each hand down each side to twist and pop the holder out. You need small hands to do this but it can be done without removing the light.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

JoniiBoii

right i shall give this ago when the LED's arrive ! cheers for the help guys!

MidlandMR2

Would also like to know if the LED's work for sidelights. Want to go HID's soon.

JoniiBoii

yep that was the reason as to why i got those LED's will let you know the out come.

nathanMR2

Quote from: "MidlandMR2"Would also like to know if the LED's work for sidelights. Want to go HID's soon.

Dont mention HID's around here   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

JoniiBoii

HIDS.

Lol joking but I still don't see the harm as I had someone behind me last night with them in , and to be honest it didn't bother me at all ...

onion86

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"I still don't see the harm
Other than it's illegal to retrofit them onto a car, go for it...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
I'm sure they are fine on some cars, but on others you get blinded.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

MidlandMR2

Ah i had heard they where being introduced into MOT's this year, if i'm honest though i usually get the person with stupidly bright lights or fog lights on behind me.
Will probably not have it done if its such a pain now a days.

nathanMR2

Facelift projectors and a decent set of bulbs are the way forward if you havent got them already.

Tags: