What do people think of this??

Started by northernalex, November 17, 2006, 18:03

evileye_wrx

The kit describes it as having wide arches as part of the kit. I'm thinking you must have to replace the fenders, front and rear but I can't tell from the pics whether 1. my C-One side Intakes will still fit and 2. whether my 17" Wheels are going to look big enough (I know people say on wide bodykits you need to have bigger wheels.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? If I go for this I will have lots of bits for sale as it looks like needing a new exhaust to be fitted in those holes.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

would need clarification really if its wide arch wings or just the arches to be bonded onto the existing wings?  price leans towards bond on arches I would have thought possibly?

spit

[drift]
Quote from: "perry190"
Quote from: "spit"But bear in mind that opinion is divided on the benefits of a lightened flywheel on a boosted '2.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
off topic I know, but whys that then?  just wondered as every turbo car I've ever owned had benefited from a lightened flywheel and uprated clutch?
I said nothing about an uprated clutch being a downside  s:? :? s:?  

There are several threads here mentioning driveability issues with a lightweight flywheel on a boosted '2  - and its these I wanted to flag up for Liz. I can't comment on the cars you've owned!

Its not something I'd go for with my driving style, mileage and ability to find gridlocked roads every day! Correction: I would, but I'd need to change 1st and 2nd gear ratios to be able to live with it.

[/drift]
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

I was only asking why there were divided opinions as I wasnt aware of the reasoning behind it?

No need to be so defensive matey, it was only a question   s;) ;) s;)    s:) :) s:)

spit

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Not intentionally grouchy, just had a bad day  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "spit"[drift]
Quote from: "perry190"
Quote from: "spit"But bear in mind that opinion is divided on the benefits of a lightened flywheel on a boosted '2.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
off topic I know, but whys that then?  just wondered as every turbo car I've ever owned had benefited from a lightened flywheel and uprated clutch?
I said nothing about an uprated clutch being a downside  s:? :? s:?  

There are several threads here mentioning driveability issues with a lightweight flywheel on a boosted '2  - and its these I wanted to flag up for Liz. I can't comment on the cars you've owned!

Its not something I'd go for with my driving style, mileage and ability to find gridlocked roads every day! Correction: I would, but I'd need to change 1st and 2nd gear ratios to be able to live with it.

[/drift]
See here to follow up on this subject  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I had read that one comment

It's a PITA when turbo, but N/A it makes the whole car feel more 'alive'

In that thread its one adhoc comment , is that the basis for not having a lightened flywheel fitted?

My question remains the same? (still not aware of the basis or justification behind it?)

not argueing the fact, just inquisative as to the reasoning?

Tem

Quote from: "perry190"I had read that one comment

In that thread its one adhoc comment , is that the basis for not having a lightened flywheel fitted?

My question remains the same? (still not aware of the basis or justification behind it?)

Was the question "is lightened flywheel good for turbo"?

If it was, then yes is the answer. It's good for the turbo.

It's true that a heavier flywheel makes a turbo boost in lower revs. But by the time the car with a heavy flywheel boosts, the other car with a lighter flywheel is already far ahead and boosting at higher revs.

Kinda like driving with brakes on. You do get boost at lower revs, but you're still slower.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

so its no just me that thanks that then    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    was thinking I was being unreasonable for a while there   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "perry190"I had read that one comment

Was the question "is lightened flywheel good for turbo"?

If it was, then yes is the answer. It's good for the turbo.

It's true that a heavier flywheel makes a turbo boost in lower revs. But by the time the car with a heavy flywheel boosts, the other car with a lighter flywheel is already far ahead and boosting at higher revs.

Kinda like driving with brakes on. You do get boost at lower revs, but you're still slower.

well I'd agree with the theory certainly and it's why I went ahead with teh flywheel even kowing teh turbo was coming.

however having driven roadsters with and without it but turboed with teh same kit, back to back, I personally felt it better without.

maybe just me though
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

Is it more prone to stalling with the reduced inertia ?

markiii

my issue is balancing between enough throttle to not stall and so much as to give boost, when negotiating speed humps and teh like.

I either stall or shoot off,

could just be a crap driver though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

there is that   s;) ;) s;)     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "perry190"there is that   s;) ;) s;)     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

evileye_wrx

Last week I was chastised by one of the Mods for thread drift. Can anyone tell me what the difference was between the drift that I made, and was asked to get back on topic very quickly (within 4 posts) and the drift from a discussion about a particular bodykit to something entirely different?

I'll guess that it might have something to do with the fact that most of those involved in the new discussion are.... Mods!

The age old question remains who moderates the moderators?

Citizen Phil

Power to the People    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Phil

northernalex

I started the thread so everyone get back on topic, or you'll go to bed without any supper  s:) :) s:)

So Phil you're seriously thinking about the bodykit?
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "northernalex"So Phil you're seriously thinking about the bodykit?

If I've done my sums right and the fitting spraying don't price me out of the market then I'm definitely fancying this. Cheaper and less hassle than going for something from Japan yet its a pretty interesting and individual kit. I like it still.

Phil
Phil

northernalex

Maybe its worth getting hold of the guy from FRA if i remeber correctly he is a regional club manager of the mrk mk1 club (mr2mk1club.com) John Light.  Maybe its possible to PM him on there, I have his number that Michael gave to me at the last north east meet if thats any help.

Oh btw FRA are the guys that put the kit on the white MR-S for Micheal + sprayed + custom exhuast for £600

s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

evileye_wrx

I'm going to ring him soon and have a chat about it. First things first tho. Wheels at the weekend, then unichip THEN bodykit.

Then the million and one other things which are on my list none of which starts with a t and ends in an urbo. I'll save that for 2008   s8) 8) s8)  

Phil
Phil

loadswine

So you're sold on the Sniper kit then Phil?
At least you'd be the only one on here that I know of. Unique is good!  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "loadswine"So you're sold on the Sniper kit then Phil?
At least you'd be the only one on here that I know of. Unique is good!  s:) :) s:)

Well you've already got the one I really wanted   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Phil
Phil

loadswine

Only the front and sides are the Trial kit, the back bumper will be the TRC I think.( Importing the matching one from Japan is silly money)
I reckon yours will look stunning in the sable with the blue leather plus kit.
That colour combo is a cracker. The kit will just set it off. What some clever bod needs to do is get the pic of the sniper kit and photoshop it in sable. Sorry I am useless at such things.

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "loadswine"Only the front and sides are the Trial kit, the back bumper will be the TRC I think.( Importing the matching one from Japan is silly money)
I reckon yours will look stunning in the sable with the blue leather plus kit.
That colour combo is a cracker. The kit will just set it off. What some clever bod needs to do is get the pic of the sniper kit and photoshop it in sable. Sorry I am useless at such things.

Thanks for the comments, I'm really glad I picked the blue for the seats.

As for photoshop I wouldn't know where to start either. I am cack at things like that. I'll just have to buy the kit and them take photos of it and show everyone the outcome   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If everything goes according to plan I could have an MR2 Sniper by the end of January. Just don't tell the wife   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Phil
Phil

loadswine

She's not coming on Saturday then Phil?
Won't mention a thing.
Can't wait to see the results though. Will look extra cool with the SP wheels.  s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)

Tags: