-03 and 03+ seats

Started by Tem, December 10, 2006, 16:01

Tem

I'm considering upgrading my seats to the facelifted ones. The issue is that the used seats from UK are the wrong way around for us.  s:? :? s:?

That's assuming the new seats have same controls than the old, with the height setting only for the drivers side...?

Anyone ever tried if the new back mates with the old bottom? So I could keep my left side bottom with the height control and use the back part from the new seats with it?

...or any other ideas...?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Tem I'm sure the seat backs will swap over because as far as I'm aware the seats are basically identical, the only difference being the hole which is only a section of the foam cut out. In fact a trimmer once told me if you remove the covers from a pre-03 seat there is even a line or mark in the foam where the hole goes on post 03 seats? He claimed to have trimmed several pre 03 seats in the post 03 style by simply cutting the foam out around the line before recovering them.

Having said all that I still think shipping will be too expensive though?  s:) :) s:)

Tem

Quote from: "SteveM"In fact a trimmer once told me if you remove the covers from a pre-03 seat there is even a line or mark in the foam where the hole goes on post 03 seats? He claimed to have trimmed several pre 03 seats in the post 03 style by simply cutting the foam out around the line before recovering them.

Good point...that would be the easy solution.

Anyone in here ever done it?  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

this may sound like a newb question but what are the differences between the older seats and newer ones?

Chris

as hinted at above, then on an post 03 car there is a hole cut out of the seat in the headrest section at the top.  Pre 03 cars don't have this hole..  I'm not aware of any other changes, and Tem - yes the 03 still has a height adjuster on the drivers side... I know as I broke the spring clip holding it on while fitting my seat pads...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"as hinted at above, then on an post 03 car there is a hole cut out of the seat in the headrest section at the top.  Pre 03 cars don't have this hole..  I'm not aware of any other changes, and Tem - yes the 03 still has a height adjuster on the drivers side... I know as I broke the spring clip holding it on while fitting my seat pads...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

suppose i should start reading all the treads post's from now on   s:) :) s:)  

out of interest were the later seats made in different fabrics? if this hasent been mentioned yet?! that is

Anonymous

I think the cloth seats used the same fabric as did the Black leather ones, the only difference was the Red leather which changed from a deep Red on pre 03 to a bright Red on post 03.

davidhowson

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would add to this one....

I have just completed a seat cover change over from the -03 seats to the 03+.

As noted in this thread earlier, the only difference is the hole in the seat backs and that is about it; so with a sharp knife and several careful measurements I managed to cut a slot in the foam to enable the new covers to fit.

My seat back did not have any marks or other indications on them of where the cut out should go, but by cutting a little at a time and fitting the covers several times, I made the hole just the right size. The second seat was easier as I had the measurements from the first one to help, so it only took about 30 minutes to do.

I will get round to swapping the bottom covers too, but to be honest it is almost impossible to tell the difference even though my covers are four years old and have covered 25,000 miles and the replacements are just 6 months old and had only covered 30 miles!!

Here are a few pictures of progress; it doesn't look pretty under the covers and the tape is just to hold it all together while the new cover is pulled in to place, but the end result looks very much a factory finish!  s:D :D s:D  

You can see in the first picture the headed seat pad as supplied by Tem - a real worth while mod.

So... For sale - pre 03 seat covers !!!

alancdavis

1st class post for information on this subject,,,this is what the forum is all about
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

loadswine

I think the seat belt fiitings might be different in some cases too. Phil and I found this out when we swapped my pre 03 seats for his post 03 ones.
We had to swap the belt clasps over to finish the job.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

alancdavis

I changed to the 05 seats with no problem with the belt clasps,,,but saying that the seats I sold on would not fit the recipients car existing ,,,so I guess not all the belt clasps are the same
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

darrenjuggins

Hi David,

You have PM regarding your old and new seat covers.

Kindest Regards

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Tags: