grooved disc brakes

Started by Anonymous, January 18, 2007, 20:34

Anonymous

help!  s:? :? s:?   i want to replace my front brake discs and pads, but i want to replace the discs with a set of grooved ones, i have seen that ebay sell a pair of grooved discs with pads for about £80 which seems abit cheap! but i would like to know if any of you can recomend were else to buy them from?.

Anonymous

I wouldn't go cheap for the brakes, as they're the only thing stopping you hitting that proverbial brick wall.  s;) ;) s;)

FWIW, I'd either stay with stock or get a full set of Black Diamond grooved and drilled discs for about £400.

Anonymous

like you said its not worth buying cheap when it comes to replacing brakes, the price you quoted seems more realistic, thankyou.

Anonymous

buy the way i just wanted to say i cant believe how helpful everyone is in this club. i have belonged to many clubs in the past and they come nowhere as close as this club and its members, iv owned my mr2 for over 2 years now but have only  just joined and already you lot have helped me so much,   s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)

spit

Very kind of you to say so Paul.

I'm pondering the EBC option at around £300 all-in. The guys who've gone with Black Diamond have been pleased with 'em.

Have to say though, the stock setup is pretty decent and adding some braided hose lines makes them even nicer.

And to echo Dan, there is simply no point in entrusting your life and your loved ones to an unknown entity on EBay!

Let us know what you go for and how you get on.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Agree with Spit.

Does everyone know that Silverstones Performance's SP240bhp track beast is running totally stock discs and pads? All they've added are the braided hoses.
I was shocked as well when  asked bearing in mind how late we were braking on track.

markiii

Quote from: "spit"Very kind of you to say so Paul.

I'm pondering the EBC option at around £300 all-in. The guys who've gone with Black Diamond have been pleased with 'em.

Have to say though, the stock setup is pretty decent and adding some braided hose lines makes them even nicer.

And to echo Dan, there is simply no point in entrusting your life and your loved ones to an unknown entity on EBay!

Let us know what you go for and how you get on.

my past experiences with ebc discs have not been good.

I would seriously avoid them like teh plague
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Just been talking to a mate who builds cars, and he has a mate who works in motor-racing. EBC are not rated as good at all, which is a surprise to me as their motorcycle discs are excellent.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

spit

Yeah the thread of discussion about them was coming out with either good or bad comments .... not much inbetween. Like you Nic, I've only experienced these from biker days and rated them highly. Wonder whats happened  s:? :? s:?  

Handy to know. Cheers guys.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

edward.carter

just to be different i used to have a set of turbo groove discs and greenstuff pads and never had a problem, but i may of been one of the lucky ones, who knows  s:) :) s:)  (not on the mr2 though)

philster_d

I have used all sorts of different pads and materials even.

Its usualy a trade off, stopping against long lasting.

iirc my car literaly ate the green stuff pads.

edward.carter

yep same for me, when i had them they were terrible when cold but awesome when hot and like you say lasted about a week!

philster_d

On the tubby I tried pagid fast road pads for the fronts, similar to the ebc. I also tried kevlar for the reard but they still got destroyed    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

markiii

Quote from: "philster_d"I have used all sorts of different pads and materials even.

Its usualy a trade off, stopping against long lasting.

iirc my car literaly ate the green stuff pads.

mine literally ate teh ebc discs  s:-( :-( s:-(

not impressed
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

How about Black Diamond discs & pads?

Linky

That's £394 inc VAT all in!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

VVT-i

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned 3G discs with Endless pads.. I have them on what is now the wifes Yaris.. ok it's not a powerfull car, but the difference with this combination was surprising.. huge difference from stock.

m http://www.3gbrakes.co.uk/ m
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "simonp"Agree with Spit.

Does everyone know that Silverstones Performance's SP240bhp track beast is running totally stock discs and pads? All they've added are the braided hoses.
I was shocked as well when  asked bearing in mind how late we were braking on track.
I believe the brakes and pads on their SP240 are totally stock.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Wabbitkilla

Impressive - but one of the reasons why i'm exploring this is because i don't like the way the standard discs corrode. My 2 is approaching 20K Miles and they've started to go.

I have braided lines and Dot4 fitted by SP and yes it makes a hell of a difference to the brakes!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Impressive - but one of the reasons why i'm exploring this is because i don't like the way the standard discs corrode. My 2 is approaching 20K Miles and they've started to go.

I have braided lines and Dot4 fitted by SP and yes it makes a hell of a difference to the brakes!
Just changing the hoses and contents makes that much difference  s:?: :?: s:?:  What was the damage for this job from SP  s:?: :?: s:?:

Wabbitkilla

Showing at £175.95 fitted on SP's website at the mo - well worth it!

markiii

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Impressive - but one of the reasons why i'm exploring this is because i don't like the way the standard discs corrode. My 2 is approaching 20K Miles and they've started to go.

Black diamond aren't much better in that respect

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"

Black diamond aren't much better in that respect
Unfortunately due to the materials used and an open alloy many disc will show signs of corrosion  s:? :? s:?

philster_d

no coments on my clenliness   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

rtbiscuit

or your spelling!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

i had black diamond grooved, drilled and vented on my old pug, they were pretty good at stopping, but mine warped.

the stock disks fitted to the two feel just as good. i am going to get braided hoses at some point, will fit them when i lower the car.

isn't their the brand terox or something.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Wabbitkilla

Nice Phil!

You'll have to tell us which pads you got with them and what you think of the quality and performance after a few miles.

On the argument of grooves or no grooves, my pops last VW discs were grooved as standard and that wasn't even a sport class of car!

Tags: