Started by alancdavis, March 31, 2007, 19:23

rtbiscuit

why not CF?
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Would you, or the majority pay the price?

Anonymous

Love that TTE console - very nice. WOuld have to have it in black though for my red leather.

Simon - when is the malaysian work force swinging into action to make us some of these then?
I assume they will be ready for shipment next week?!

On a serious note - I have the utmost respect for the quality of your merchandise having seen both your chrome repeaters and eyebrows.

Anonymous

My 2 is at the workshop getting tuned as we speak. Word has it that the 2 will be ready before the end of this week. So I'll probably start on this project very soon.

What I'm struggling with right now is the choice of material. Personally I've nothing against MDF (medium density fiber for those who are not familiar). It's sturdy, easy to work with, but is heavier. FG is on the other hand lighter (depending on how many layers of it you add), tough to work with, and I'm not sure if it can be upholstered.

For those who are weight conscious, I personally don't understand the logic behind the strict regime for diet. A 10kg is only worth a theoretical 1HP. So even if the console weighs in at 10kg heavier (and that's impossible -- 100% GUARANTEED), the loss in hp will almost be negligible.

I can't obviously be able to please everyone, and therefore I'll go ahead to make something I know I'll like, knowing most of the time my taste is usually shared by many others. In the context of this project, I'll weigh the feasblility of working with both materials, and then base my decision on the practicality and cost factor of them.

I believe however, that it is absolutely possible to crossbreed the use of both materials seamlessly in different aspect of the console. Seeing a few consoles from the boards, I realise such idea is not new.

I'm an architect by profession, and I'd like to think I know the right material begets strong foundation. Thus, the issue of material choice will be thoroughly pondered over.

At any other given time, Perry would be generous enough to chip in...but... sigh............  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

We will see how it goes...

aaronjb

You can upholster FG, Simon - it just requires a little (well, ok, a lot) spray glue, thin foam and the covering material of your choice..

In an ideal world I think FG would be better - the only downside is that it is quite brittle, and not malleable at all, so production would have to be infinitely accurate as there is no 'give'..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

In an ideal world with ideal workmanship and highly skilled upholstery, I'll definitely choose FG over MDF. But in real life, I'll have to take a second look.

Thanks for the heads up Aaron. I'll speak to my upholstery shop and see what it says.

Can't wait to start!

alancdavis

All this sound a great idea to me,,,,,,,If you do go ahead and produce one I will be your 1st customer  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

If Mr T had have incorperated a console in the original concept it would have saved all of this.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

I agree with the other simon - If FG is not practical MDF is a good choice - 10kg - Crikey in a car like ours that is nothing - it will make naff all difference.

Anonymous

s:o :o s:o

alancdavis

Just Hi,,  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ,,,This looks very interesting,,,Tell us about it  s:?: :?: s:?:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

alancdavis

Giving this a second look ,I think the front part only would be a great idea,,,simmilar to the one one spyder chat  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Details please  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Sorry for all the pics....   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Still waiting for my black leather part to finnish it... I wait for 2 months... >_<

aaronjb

That looks pretty good, Ben - really well tailored and very nicely made indeed  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

heathstimpson

Oh yes top job; looks very nice indeedy  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I finnished it !!!!!!!!!!!!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Ben

olliex1

WOW!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

That looks amazing! I want one... NOW!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

It is the one thing, IMHO, that the 2 lacks...
2002---Black---Red Leather---Red brake calipers---Anthracite Stock Wheels---TTE Lowering springs---Corky\'s Breastplate---Gutted pre-cats---Ducktail Spoiler---Red J Spec Nose Badge---Dev\'s Keyhole Covers---Clear Side Indicators---Apexi Power Intake---H&S Twin Exhaust

alancdavis

That looks great,,  s:D :D s:D   Your time and effort have paid off,,,I have chased this Idea for months now but alas I have no time to try and make one myself
Maybe some one will mass produce one soon and I can buy a tailor made one.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

northernalex

Looks absolutley fantastic.. nice one!
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

rtbiscuit

thats come out really well.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

kanujunkie

you going to do something with the back end Ben?  looks great though
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Thank you for your comments mates  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Quote from: "kanujunkie"you going to do something with the back end Ben?  looks great though

I'll probably cover the stock console with leather too, and make the assembly at the handbrake.  s:) :) s:)

I have to find an easy way to cover this at the rear (the hole at the end of the stock console?!)

aaronjb

That looks really great Ben! Very well done indeed  s:) :) s:)

Chris

Quote from: "dabeny"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"you going to do something with the back end Ben?  looks great though

I'll probably cover the stock console with leather too, and make the assembly at the handbrake.  s:) :) s:)

Yep, I think thats what it needs - to me it look a bit odd with the leather finishing just like that - maybe carry on the leather up the sides and mode of the CF finish in the middle?  Other than that, it's looking sweet   s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

kanujunkie

agree Ben, that'll complete it, the leather to plastic joint is just too different and sticks out, should look great when its all done
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

alancdavis

Well some time has passed and I have made a pigs ear of all attempts to construct a console,,,,,,so its back to the search for an alternative.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tags: