Unichip problems help?

Started by ChrisGB, April 16, 2007, 12:32

Anonymous

excellent!

evileye_wrx

They aren't distributing, that lot is going straight into <Insert African dictators name of choice> personal stockpile to sell to the poor. Isn't that what happens to the millions in aid that get poured into the 3rd world every year?

Less thread drift and more about how to solve ChrisGB's predicament. I wanna know what he can do next

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Phil
Sorry, no offence intended
Dave Smith

evileye_wrx

None taken. I not a Naz... I mean a Mod. You don't have to listen to what I say   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

But if you decided you did have to obey my commands...

::gets the pocket watch out again::

"When you awaken you will put £50 into Phil's paypal account."

And that's not just for Dave, that goes for everyone who reads this!

Guess who's working all night and is already bored....ME!

Phil
Phil

northernalex

MUST RESIST GIVING PHIL MONEY!  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

evileye_wrx

::pocket watch swings and puts on a spooky voice::

"AAAAlex,  on Sunday you will give Phil £150. you will be very happy to do this and will feel warm and fuzzy inside."

Oh yeah, and go on msn now. I am still bored

Phil
Phil

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "Ekona"Why would you need a rolling road? Ste tuned his car without one and it's been one of the more stable cars around here. Go on, suck it up and give it a go!  s:D :D s:D

I know enough about tuning to not try significant advance setting without one. Save a few bob on RR time, cost a few thousand bob on flattened bottom end shells or a holed piston.

I know it can be done and I have reprofiled and adjusted dissys, but that was on cars that were cheaper to fix and back in the day when I had time to fix them.

Mind, finding the shelf edge with a datalogging device is viable. Hmmm....

Chris

That's interesting, seeing as Ste (by his own admittance) didn't really know that much about tuning a car before he started on his, yet he has a very decent tune that happily copes with the 12psi he's running. He's had no issues with his tune that I can recall, so I would've thought someone with your experience would've seen something like this as a chance to get the exact tune you want and save some money in the process?

Still, if you want to spend your money on the Unichip then that's your call. FWIW, I've stood there in EA when they've tuned a 1ZZ Celica with the Unichip on and there was no issues at all, so I wonder exactly what's caused your issues.

Someone of my experience has seen the results of how a multi million pound company broke very expensive gearboxes for a whole season by not recognising a timing setup error and more recently, only last year saw a blown turbo, the result of a so called reputable tuning company that did road tuning only. The car hit limp home mode when run up to vmax, blew an I/C feed hose a little while later, then lunched its turbo. All within a month of being tuned. Not good for a new car. The guy it happend to still swears by the tuner yet my similar car, mapped by folks I spoke to and felt they knew their stuff and had a rolling road, produces similar power (perhaps a little more) and has (touch wood) run reliably for 55,000 miles on its map. It happily runs vmax too.

The key is to get the advance to run just along the front edge of the ledge. A rolling road allows you to figure out where this is quickly and accurately. Using something like Gtec on the road may be a viable, if time consuming, alternative. Once that timing goes past the edge of the ledge and starts to creep along the ledge, the stresses in the engine go up exponentially with no gain in output. Eventually, you will get knock, but the potentially terminal damage is being done before that point. I am not saying it cannot be done, but I don't fancy trying it. I know the risks.

As for money spent, well I really dont mind emanage or unichip. Either solution will be good if it works. The cost of the units is only part of the equasion, the setup charges vary so much from place to place that cost does not really come down best on either side. If just buying the hardware, it would be Emanage. It's a no brainer.

EA could not suss it out, Dastek dont really seem to understand how knock sensing works (really, speaking to them I get the idea they think that amplitude of output is the thing the ECU is looking at) but they dont need to know either. I know that the piggyback ECU should not raise a CEL when connected up, so suspect incorrect wiring as a possibility, not neccessarily EAs fault knowing how many variants of ECUs and wiring car companies put in ostensibly " the same model" car. What I do know is it was not working! Thinking about it, if EA had wired it up wrong, the car would most likely not have run at all.

To my mind, the benefit of getting someone to supply, fit and setup is that should the problems repeat themselves, I dont pay. Two or three hours of rolling road time would cover many road hours. I would prefer to spend the cash on RR time freeing me up to earn money to pay for it by working.  At least that way I get a known good safe result. However, I read here somewhere that a well know tuner had set a car up with far too much advance at low engine speed recently. Decisions, decisions.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

ChrisGB

Hmm further thougths on the Unichip....

Speaking again to EA about the problems with the Unichip tune, it seems that they were able to add quite a bit of advance before the ECU cut it back, however, there were no gains in power / torque from applying that advance.

This raises the question, is my ECU doing its job so well that the addition of a bit more advance will give no benefit?

I have been reading a thread where torque and power figures for Unichip tuned cars were given and it would appear that my figures without unichip are very similar until down near 2000 rpm where the unichip cars benefit.

Any thoughts?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

enid_b

paypal sent
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Tags: