Replacing door speakers - best options

Started by Anonymous, June 12, 2003, 23:15

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"funny you should say that since markii said that he was going to get one and he was hopeing that it would fit i got in touch with musical touch in america for some sizes and stuff for the box and they guy said the following

" are you any good at box building "

those at JAE will know what i can do LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

so he gose i can make it my self all i gota do it mask the area under the sterring collom and glass fiber it simple !

But after coming of the phone i relised how do you glass fiber upside down ??????   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

So i will use my srpay gun to spray it up in the area and see what happends if it is sucessful i shall see if they can be mass produced and sold ????

Well pals if you want to give it a go, give it a go.  But please remember that when Steve and I originally discussed this product I told him to make it symmetrical so that the British and Japanese markets could use the speaker.  Those of you without AC in your cars can simply buy the US Spec version, but with minor modifications to the mounting brackets (mirror imaging) you can mount the UD Sub, Jr. up under your dash too just like we do here in the land of the free and the home of the Atlanta Braves.  Many have tried to duplicate the UD Sub, Jr.  and all have failed.  We are fortunate that an automotive stereo genius like Steve Texter, took almost a year to sort this one out for us.  But please do send over your goons, I have not opened up a can of kick ass in a while and you would just make my day.

GSB

Goons? Kris and Craig?

I should think that the spare half a can of leftover 'kick-ass' in the back of the shed should do the job nicely...   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Thanks for your input Ed. I myself looked into the UD sub Jnr, but it was looking to be prohibitively expensive once you add the transport costs and taxes payable to Her Majesties government, and although I heard that the unit was theoretically supposed to fit in a right hand drive car, no one I know of has actually done it...

Anyway, you know us Brit's, we're the same as you guys. if a product designed for the MR2 has been designed by someone who knows what he's talking about and has "Made in England" written all over it, we cant get the money out quick enough. It's a sickness, but we just cant help ourselves...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Well fellers, how about this one?  Have someone investigate the taxing laws on "kits."  I will talk to Steve about the feasibility of perhaps making the UD Sub as an assemblage of parts which you folks can then assemble into a finished product and then secure and add your own JL Audio 6W0 subwoofer.  Now this assumes that you can secure the speaker at a reasonable price and have the necessary shop facilities to put it together so that it stays that way, but if I am not mistaken, parts are taxed at a somewhat lower rate than finished products in that they require "British Input." or some other such garbage.  For all I know they may even ship more cheaply.

Another way would be to do a group buy.  I just now spoke to Steve Texter who told me that shipping one UD Sub to the UK was prohibitively expensive, but twenty was very little more trouble.  So, give your copy a try, but don't write off the original product just yet.  Hundreds of UD Subs have been sold in the States and in other countries who drive on the proper side of the road and there has never been a single complaint.

Anonymous

Ed,
   thanks for teh info but as you all well know the sub Jnr only takes a 6" woofer !!! and that is not bigg engoth for me so im going to make it so you can get the JL 8" 8v3 this is what i have the the back of mine and i would like to see if i can mount it under the dash. so it wont be a complete copy so your ideas are safe and i promise i will not nick them   s:) :) s:)  

Jimbob,
  Those amps are nice but the better one to go for are the genisis profile amp, give around the smae power infact a little more but it is a lot slimmer so more felxibilty to fit them, good find tho   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Don't write off the JL Audio 6W0 six and one half inch subwoofer so quickly.  I own the only UD Sub, Sr. in the world.  It runs a JL Audio 8W6, the best eight inch subwoofer ever made and sadly, no longer available because it became too expensive to produce.  During the testing and shakeout of the UD Sub, Jr with the 6W0 in it, I ran around with a UD Sub, Jr. for almost three months.  In all honesty, I could not hear the difference.  My pals at Musical Touch told me that they would NEVER again try to cram an eight inch sub up under our dashes because it was so much trouble.  Mine works great and I love it, but I would not mind swapping it for a UD Sub, Jr.  Folks who hear the 6W0 simply can't believe that all that bass is coming from one six and a half inch speaker.  They generally estimate that at least one and sometimes two ten inch speakers are making all that sound.  It is true that you will not win any SPL contests with it, but if that is what you have in mind, why aren't you driving a van?

Anonymous

LOL had a fiesta with 3 15" subs for SPL contests but sold it so i use the 2 for it style and speed and the LADIES   s:P :P s:P  

getting back to the issue of subs. i have fitted 2 of the 6.5" JL subs in another car before in the front door pods and they did sound nice for there size but my personal preferance is that they dont drop low engoth and seam to not cope with the sub 60 hz range as well as a 8" (which in theroy it shound't)

i find with my single 8" JL 600 watts 2 ohm which is getting 400 Watts RMS on a 2 ohm mono stable ! it kciks very well so i would think if i can get the rigth voulme sized box being 1 cubic litre ported i could make it sound jsut as good under the dash

ED, dose any of the JL gear over in the states differ from the gear over here ???

cheers

Anonymous

JL Audio is JL Audio no matter where you are, I believe.  Of course they are made in Florida, so perhaps like our orange juice they are more fresh here.  Of course, everything sounds, looks and feels better in Florida.  Perhaps you did not have an adequate enclosure on the 6W0 speakers in the doors.  Both Steve and I have very good ears, but he relies upon electronic measurements as well as ear tests and there really is no difference.  The "0" series speakers from JL are newer and have some of the amazing technology found in their new 7 series which is simply kicking the audio world's butt over here.  I have heard that JL stuff is very expensive in Limeyland, and while not cheap is at least reasonable here in the states.  You guys need to send over a guy with a big empty steamer trunk and let him stock up and then smuggle them through customs as "Medical Equipment."

trickyD

I know this is an old post but I just cannot believe anyone could in their wildest dreams defend the stock speakers!!!
They are the crappest thing I've ever heard, like listening to a £9.99 cheap a transistor radio, or clock radio. No bass just loads of upper mid and harsh treble!
I guess a lot must have changed in 10 years, lol

In case anyone else finds this thread, the stock speakers are  sshit shit sshit e.
End of  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: