Q: Extra bits for replacing '03 head unit

Started by filcee, December 23, 2003, 12:30

filcee

OK, I'm finally going to do it - I will replace my Fisher Price H/U in the New Year.  In the meantime I'm doing some research for the 'extras' I will need, so as to have all the bits ready to do this in one go.

I've had a look at the "EuroRoadster" web site.  This page lists some goodies for the pre-'03 model (in fact the article is about fitting a single DIN H/U on an import) http://www.euroroadster.com/articles/ShowArticle.asp?File=StereoReplacment.xml.  I'm looking at dropping in a single DIN unit, so from the bits listed on the web page:

What I think I need:
1 of 55521 -16030 : Tray / Storage slot
1 of 86221 -52050 : Left hand spacer
1 of 86221 - 52060 : Right hand spacer

What I think I probably have with my current H/U:
86211 - 17050 : Left hand mounting bracket
86212 - 17050 : Right hand mounting bracket
55423 - 17040 : Surrounding trim

Can anyone who has replaced an '03 unit with a single DIN one confirm (or otherwise) this parts list?

Ta.
Phil
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

well a lot of people go this route by buying all Mr T parts but your better off getting teh autoleads facia adaptor, and then the faica trim from Mr T and this is job done !

You need the facia adapotor for a RAV 4 2000+ modle get this from halfords

Anonymous

I have the autoleads facia adaptor with the built in cubby hole underneath (all one piece) it's the FP-11-03 adaptor   s:D :D s:D

SteveJ

The brackets that come with the '03 OEM stereo will not fit a single DIN unit (they are specific to the '02 unit)

What you need are the mounting brackets for the pre revision Sony double DIN unit - any Mr T should be able to help.

Anonymous

the FP-11-03 comes with the brackets built in to take either ISO screws or the metal frame, so no need to use the 03 OEM bracket at all  :-) :-) :-)

unless I'm missunderstanding?

Anonymous

Anonymous

flip out alpine screen i spot there perrry!

nice bit of kit if so!

Yeah the autoleads adapotor will fit any MR2 2000+

Anonymous

well you've got good eyesight seeing that from that pic Buster, and yes your right! goes with my alpine sat nav, consequently one remote  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"well you've got good eyesight seeing that from that pic Buster, and yes your right! goes with my alpine sat nav, consequently one remote  :-) :-) :-)

Well Buster is our ICE expert! Could you take some pics of it installed with the screen out... i would like to see how high the screen comes up etc...?

Anonymous

will do. it'll be going in the next few days

Anonymous

Oh if you havent already done it then you will need a spacer as the screen hits the top of the dash overhang!

Well my pioneer one dose! and i had to make a MDF spacer cover it in black carpet so it macheted the trim etc.

But the alpine m,ay swing out a little more than mine   s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

I've hacked the surround around so that the tray now sits at the top rather than the bottom, so hopefully that will bring the screen down enough?

Have noticed tho that the autoleads loom adaptor doesnt seem to match up with the conectors on the toyota loom?  Theres only two plugs that are the same size as the ones on the autoleads one but the pins in use dont seem to match is that right? (have checked a couple of sites and I do appear to have the right adaptor) ???

Anonymous

thats what i done but found that it was too low down for vewing as the screen had to be tilted up a lot ! looked a bit C*ap but the alpine dose have better viewing angles

Anonymous

it comes out ok and first impressions are good, but will have to see if visibility is ok in a driving situation.  I wont be bothering with dvd or rear view camera this time around so its only really for the sat nav and snazzy display when in audio mode  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

i hoked mine up to rear camera and front camera

found the best position to be on the rear bumper is the top grill and get a wide angle camera so that it helps you when reveersing

and the best place for the front camera was on the fron grill under the number plate as low to the ground as you can get it but all will be reviled when i finish it !

Anonymous

how's about side cam's to prevent kerbing my alloys?

Anonymous

you mean wheel cam it has been done not on a 2 but other have got it called "curb cam" !

it simply a camera under the wingmirror looking down at the front wheel with a wide lense to pick up the back wheel!

only realy ever used on demo cars

filcee

A bit more 'on topic'  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Just got back from Listers in Covo after ordering some bits to replace the H/U.  The service guy checked the parts numbers on the computer to see what is fitted on the '03 models.  It looks like you only need these three parts if you are replacing the standard 'Fisher Price' UK fit double-din unit:

55521-16030  Storage Tray/Slot
86221-52050 Left Hand Spacer
86221-52060 Right Hand Spacer

Price for all three bits was 26.30 inc. VAT, BUT, they are not in stock 'special order' so non returnable if they don't fit/work right.  They should have them in for me on Friday.

Once I get round to fitting the new H/U (haven't bought it yet - still no decision made on which one   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) I'll be checking to make sure these are the right bits.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

philster_d

I removed the stock one and used the existing fittings. The new stereo is finaly secured solid with a few windings of black electrical tape. Thats the "Philster and Ste" Tm solution to your problem.

Cheers,
Philster.

filcee

Philster,
Not sure what year & spec your '2 is, but mine is a UK-spec 2003 model, so came with the "Fisher Price" (Panasonic/Matsushita) double DIN head unit that I think might have been built to fit.  There was no OEM fitted spacer kit for the sides, and only a thin outer ring trim.  Swapping this for a standard DIN unit and pocket required the side spacers to fill the holes either side of the unit once fitted.

I think, but I'm not sure, that pre-03 UK '2s had the additional side spacers, and possibly a fatter outer ring trim, around the standard fit double DIN Sony unit.

As for imports - I don't know.  I seem to recall looking at an import at a car supermarket that didn't have a head unit fitted at all.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

t'other Phil
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

philster_d

I taped it to the pocket bellow iirc

Graeme

This picture has black side mounting pieces, where did you get them from? They don't come with the adaptor by the looking at this page: Clicky

I have the metal side mounting brackets (didn't come with the car - I had to buy them from MrT as somebody had previously "upgraded" the ICE (very badly). They look like this:

Graeme
2001, Black, A/C, H/Top, Leather, no precats, and a club sticker![/color]
Why did they call it a "Midship Runabout"?!?! Surely "Mid-Engine Roadster" would have sounded better.

Anonymous

how does the fisher price come out?

kanujunkie

amazingly if you search or look in the how to section you would find

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12583 m
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

found that stu, head unit is already removed though!

Tags: