damn aerial

Started by Anonymous, March 20, 2008, 23:28

Anonymous

would like a bit of help with the damn stupid aerial on my 2.
i hate the fact its a million miles long and looks stupid, any way of getting rid of it/changing it/stopping it from coming out??? please help

uktotty

Check the garage, loads of people have bought the beesting aerial, however the reception is not as good as the electric aerial according to Aaron.

Anonymous

thanks for the reply!! im not that bothered about the reception, i listen to loads of cds anyway but really dont want the aerial anymore!! have looked at the beesting ones before but didnt know if they fit.

enid_b

you could always rewire the passenger window disable switch to be one that controls the aerial,

ie. the aerial is down all the time, unless you have the radio on, then you can select to put it up and down as required.

its in a how-to-do thread on here, and even a morris dancing cider drinking retro man like me can do it, so i guess im saying its real easy

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

brilliant, thanks for the help, think im going to try and do that!! would like to have the option but im not even bothered if i dont have it, i just hate the look of it. with the roof down it just ruins the whole sleek look of it!!

kentsmudger

Do you have the original fit Sony? - If so, you can just switch off the traffic announcement and the auto frequency (TA-off, AF-off) and the aerial will stay down if you are listening to CDs and not using the radio.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Anonymous

everything is standard in it at the moment so whatever HU is standard in a post 03. i dont have TA on anyway but i dont know about the other option, will defo give it a go today tho.

Wabbitkilla

You could always drive through a carpark barrier as it's closing like i did  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

The happier result was the aerial is still functional, but it  doesn't extend one of the sections so it's a more appealing length (steady there Russ) and reception is still fine.   s8) 8) s8)
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

if you could guarentee that would work, belive me i would do it!!
been looking on here and found the thread on how to change the window lock button which is prob my best bet but im absolutely thick when it comes to cars and have no idea how to do that but will try and rope someone into doing it for me tomorrow.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"You could always drive through a carpark barrier as it's closing like i did  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Nic! That's one way of doing it, I suppose..

Anyway - I love my LT shorty.. It gets basically zero radio reception (well, I pick up one local station!) but it looks very nice indeed.  Form over function, in this case  s;) ;) s;)

You can get them from LordTakuban (aka Justin) via his website or if you PM him on SpyderChat or here (at least I think he's registered on here..).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

damonlaw88

Mine has been disconnected. Never listen to the radio so it never comes up lol
2004 Black MR2 Roadster - 17" Advans RG White - Tein S Tech Springs - Trials Front bumper and Side skirts - Custom Black Headlight - Hardtop - GReddy Pillar Pod - Defi Oil Temp - Defi Oil Pressure - Defi control Link - Alpine CVA1004R - Centurion Multiregion DVD player - Acoustics Solution custom sub box - Alpine 10" type S - Alpine sat nav - Red caliper - CHE Manifold

Anonymous

how do i do that?? do i need to pull the whole head unit out to do that??

Mad Bob

I had a mate come round and fit a black swith on one of the blank plates to the left of the steering wheel. I just press it when I want the arial up which is very rare.

Works a treat   s:D :D s:D
Converse Boot!

Anonymous

ok i had a little issue with my aerial and a pair of plyers today!! i cut the bugger off!!! but i kinda cut thru the wire and now it stuck down but makes a horrible sound when car turns off. think i need to change the whole thing now!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

enid_b

so ya didnt follow the how to thread then???

whoopsies, hope you get it sorted mate.  in the mean time i would just disconnect all of it. the horrible noise can only lead to bad things me thinks.

good luck

E
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

Anonymous

i dont know how to disconnect it tho!! but it goes in for a service on weds so im gonna ask them to do it then i think!!

enid_b

if you can manage til wed with no sounds, unplug the whole stereo.

if you can manage til tom night (should my world not have collapsed) im more than happy to go through it with you in detail to see what can be resolved.

E

Anonymous

well i still have my cds so its not too bad but thanks for the offer!! next thing is removing the whole thing!! will try and search for a how to thread on how to do that on here

Anonymous

Re:
Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"You could always drive through a carpark barrier as it's closing like i did  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Nic! That's one way of doing it, I suppose..

Anyway - I love my LT shorty.. It gets basically zero radio reception (well, I pick up one local station!) but it looks very nice indeed.  Form over function, in this case  s;) ;) s;)

You can get them from LordTakuban (aka Justin) via his website or if you PM him on SpyderChat or here (at least I think he's registered on here..).

Hi, I'm a proud new owner of an MR2 and I think this aerial looks far and away better than the original. I've visited LordTakuban's site and wasnt sure whether I need just the aerial for $30 or aerial with kit which is about $99. Would this then have to go to the garage or is it simple to fit yourself? (Grateful for any advice on how you did it?) - New member so apologies for my lack of konwledge !!

aaronjb

All UK Roadsters came with the electric aerial, so you'll need the full kit - which includes the "fixed" base that the stubby antenna attaches to.

I should point out that the fixed base does have a Toyota part number, so it is available from UK Toyota dealers as well.. But with the exchange rate, and the 'ease' factor of just getting it all from Justin, I ordered the whole kit from him  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

roger

Quote from: "D3VRX"Hi, I'm a proud new owner of an MR2 and I think this aerial looks far and away better than the original. I've visited LordTakuban's site and wasnt sure whether I need just the aerial for $30 or aerial with kit which is about $99. Would this then have to go to the garage or is it simple to fit yourself? (Grateful for any advice on how you did it?) - New member so apologies for my lack of konwledge !!

LT has the fitting instructions and part numbers on the SC website here. It's fiddly but fairly easy.

Did you read the bit that says you don't get very good reception, especially outside towns??

I'm not using mine, it's in the parts bin, so if you want it for £8 by normal post it's yours. You'll still have to buy the manual mast etc either from LT or Toyota.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

Quote from: "roger"It's fiddly but fairly easy.

Especially if you get a Roger to fit it for you  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:D :D s:D

roger

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "roger"It's fiddly but fairly easy.
Especially if you get a Roger to fit it for you  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:D :D s:D
For a lardy cake and 2 pints of Hooky I'm anybody's   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Carribdis

Just changed my passenger window disable button into the ariel button. Was cheesey peasy. Thanks to all the posts of how to do this, you're all heroes!!
Not just a name, but a way of life.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj25 ... is/car.jpg

Anonymous

HI, new to all this! Just bought an MR2 Mk3. Great car but hate the std fit aerial.

The "LordTakuban" stubby looks great. Anyone know someone who will fit one, i'll buy the part from the US im just not great at taking things apart and putting them back together again?

Pref someone in Cambridgeshire/Essex/Herts if possable........

Cheers

T

Tags: