Glovebox light

Started by wbarrwebster, March 21, 2008, 18:26

wbarrwebster

While I accept the idea of a glovebox light is not gonna rock everyone's world, I bought the Mk3/MK 4 Fiesta  glovebox light on an auction  site this week, with postage about £5...

Neat light unit as swtich and bulb are combined.

Anyway, pulled out the glovebox,  bored hole in the plastic  upper lip, attached earth to the bolt behind the heater dials  and the constant live from the rear of the Head Unit.

For anyone interested, it took about 50 mins..longer than anticipated as I had to mess with the hole as didn't have the right sized bit.

B
W. B. Webster

robfuller

Neat! Do you have a pic so I can see where abouts you placed it and what it looks like!   s:) :) s:)  

Rob

kanujunkie

must get round to doing this myself, got a B757 glareshield light sat in the loft ready to go in
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

wbarrwebster

Hi,

The hole for the switch/light in the lip was about 5cms to the left of centre.
I've never posted a pic on here but will have a crack at it  this weekend.

To be fair, all that you will see is the small black plunger switch that protrudes when the glovebox is open as the bulb sits internally above the lip    .

What I liked about the Ford one was that it was all in one switch and bulb.......

Pull Glove box out (it just clips in at the back)

Drill smallish hole and increase with tang of a file until the right size......

Extend wires, earth to bolt, live to constant at back of head Unit or I may move this to piggy back illumination wire at rear of instruments.

Rob, I have a spare switch/bulb, you can have it for what I paid for it.....PM me if yes, if no, it can go to next person that wants it, assuming someone's interested!!  

Nearly the weekend.........Yippee!!!

B
W. B. Webster

robfuller

Sounds simple enough, might give this go as only a fairly new commer to the 2' one thing i did notice was how flipping dark everything was at night!! Will be sorting the interior light with some led bulbs!!

wbarrwebster

Rob,

Given your comments re poor interior lighting.if you search on the site, you'll find a part number for a Mitsubishi clear light cover that replaces the Mr T one, costs about £2.99 from Mitsubishi. Fit it with an LED, lots better!!

B
W. B. Webster

robfuller

I fitted my LED light and its much better, I know it could be brighter but I'm happy and like the stock smoked look when it's not lit!
Also fitted glove box light, much better thank you wbarrwebster for bring that round to me! Any excuse for a drive!!   s:D :D s:D

wbarrwebster

Rob,

Invoice for petrol on route................remember don't piggy back a constant live!!

B
W. B. Webster

robfuller

I'm running it off the feed for the interior light!

wbarrwebster

Rob,

Just a word to the wise, initially I picked up a constant live at the back of the dash......thought no more about it until I looked into the Fusebox on the n/r side  door frame for some reason....bugger me, I saw the light on with the glovebox closed........even with the glovebox door being closed, on occations it was obviously not triggering off the light.....

The wife had probs starting in the next few days, bought new battery, although I'm sure the Glovebox light was draining the juice!!

Eventually piggybacked a switched live but will find a lillumination  live by the lit dials  this weekend.
Regards,

B
W. B. Webster

robfuller

Thanks for the warning, I did worry about this but only the slightest pressure on the switch and the light goes out, did check many times banging the glove box door and looking though the fuse box hole to check the light was defiantly off. I'll keep an eye on it though!

Should have left the batt on charge overnight would of been fine!!

wbarrwebster

Rob,

Yup, you're right about leaving the battery on charge but unfortunately was not in a position to do that.......anyway, to be fair to Mr T , the battery was cheaper than Halfords......

On a similar subject, I fitted  reversing sensors ( The wife sits low in the car)  they sit on the ends of the rear number plate holder, originally £99, now £49 from Halfords direct...works a treat!!

More importantly, saves my rear bumper!!

B
W. B. Webster

Tags: