New Aerial & Fitting Help Needed

Started by Anonymous, May 13, 2008, 21:13

Anonymous

Apologies - first post!
I think the time has come to depart with my MR2 Roadster to free up cash for wedding, although sunshine at the mo is inspiring me to find alternative ways to pay for honeymoon!!
In prep for sale i am going to service, dont think I will bother with Mr T as seems to cost a fotune for what another garage will charge, plus a service is a service if done right and booked stamped. The only thing I need to fix (and should have done this last winter when it started!) is fix the aerial. Looks as though it is not a major problem as i still hear a whiring noise if I turn rado on/off and the aerial does still come up (but not all the way) and will go down fully with a gentle tap. My mate has suggested that all I need to get is the plastic (!) bit inside as the teeth may have worn - would this sound right? If so, does anyone know where I can get the part(s) at a good price (I tried looking at the parts list on here but got myself all in a muddle!!) and have any idea how to easily fix?
Look forward to replies and thanks in advance.

kanujunkie

right, chances are that the motor section is fine, if you remove the silver nut at the base of the aerial then turn on the stereo, the aerial willextend, grab it and as it comes out keep a steady and gental pull on it and it'll come out with a long toothed section attached, take a picture of the end of the end of the toothed section and we'll tell you if you need to go any further with the dismantelling
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

ok will do - thanks for advice, will get pic up here by the w/e.

Anonymous

I have had my mate look at it who it better at cars than me - i could not work out how to get the aerial out - watching him do it it was so simple and dont know how i couldnt do it myself!! Didnt have my camera, but he has confirmed that the plastic bit with teeth has broken off at the bottom and thats why it is not fully coming out & needs a little tap to get it back down. He seems to think I need to get a new insert, take the aerial apart to get the broken bit out and then feed the new bit back in. Is this right & if so - what the easiest/safest way to do it? SOrry it has taken me so long to look into again!!

wbarrwebster

Your pal is right. New mast is about £40 from Mr T.

Pull out the  rear wheel plastic insert, careful you dont break the stupid plastic pins and I think there's a bolt there at the rear bottom, disconnect the bolt that holds the the aerial to the inner  wing.
You should be able to drop the aerial after unscrewing the chrome screw surrounding the aerial on the wing, without taking the wiring or co-ax out.

Take off the plastic cover, undo the various screws, open her up, take out the white broken  bit.
Put everything back together.

Turn radio on, have the new  mast ready, switch the radio off then feed the new mast down the hole the aerial will pull the mast down......I put some grease on  the white snake bit but I don't know if that's recommened, it  just seemed to make sense!  

All thanks go to Spit!

B
W. B. Webster

kanujunkie

Quote from: "wbarrwebster"Pull out the  rear wheel plastic insert, careful you dont break the stupid plastic pins and I think there's a bolt there at the rear bottom, disconnect the bolt that holds the the aerial to the inner  wing.
You should be able to drop the aerial after unscrewing the chrome screw surrounding the aerial on the wing, without taking the wiring or co-ax out.

before you do all of that though, always worthwhile undoing the chrome nut at the top and pulling out the mast, you never know you may be able to get the broken bit out if its broken far enough along the cogged snake, easier than taking it all apart if it will come out easy
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Liz

Sorry to drag up an old thread - love the search button!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quotewbarrwebster wrote:

Pull out the rear wheel plastic insert, careful you dont break the stupid plastic pins and I think there's a bolt there at the rear bottom, disconnect the bolt that holds the the aerial to the inner wing.

Any chance that I could pop around to yours if I get another aerial and you could help me fix mine?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

If its only the last couple of inches that has broke you can fix the ariel by removing plastic wheel arch to get the motor,the whilst ariel is down carefully remove cover to motor to expose white cogs find the end of the toothed part where it has snapped and melt this into a small blob.Put it all back together and the blob will stop the ariel when extended and keep toothed wire in place for retraction or buy new mast from MR T for around £40,up to you.

Liz

Thanks Bryan, as Barry had done it before I was asking if I could pop around to him, believe me I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I do like saving money if it can be salvaged!

wbarrwebster

Liz,

No problem.........goodness knows I've time on my hands just now. I'll drop you a PM on my address, confirm when you can bring it down to me.

B
W. B. Webster

m0jo

any chance of a few pic and comments when you do this.

s;) ;) s;)
MR2 MK3 (import) - TRD Kit other mods pending

wbarrwebster

I havn't been able to tie up date and time with Liz as yet but most of my information for messing with the Aerial I picked up from aprevious Thread by Spit.

Can I suggest you do a Search.......Frankly it's not difficult, the plastic pins that hold the inner wing are a pain from memory but I was surprised how easily the motor came apart (about 6 screws). Don't attempt disconnect the wiring or the co ax, it's not necessary and once you're ito the motor  what to do is pretty obvious.

Like alot of these things, the biggest issue(s) was getting past the body parts to get to the job!

B
W. B. Webster

Liz

Right, having nothing much to do today, I thought that I would have a go at this today and take some pictures so that it may be of use to people in the future..

1 - as mentioned = remove the plastic inner wheel arch liner, self explantory really - normal lot of fiddly clips etc!

2 - Once the inner liner is removed - look to your right and you will see this:

3 - Unscrew the chrome surround at the top of the aerial and then unbolt the bottom as indicated in the picture above.

4. Motor removed, I unplugged the power because it gave a bit more room to work, but left the co-ax attached:  This is the motor with the relevant screws removed:

5. Lift off the top once you have unscrewed it and you will see this gungy mess!

It all sort of sprang apart when I undid it!

6. This is the part of mine which had broken off:

7. Get a cigarette lighter and after wiping off the oil from the end of the remaining cog, burn it until it forms a lump

8. Put the round plastic bit back inside the cover and place the cogged plastic inside it.

Put it all back together again!

Imagine my disappointment after putting it all back on, that I switched the radio on and it didn't work.....do remember to plug the power back in!!

This is the finished result, obviously does not go up as far as before and makes a clunk noise when it goes up, but no longer requires a hand to get it down again!

Save me a few pounds - hope that these pictures are of use to someone!

Anonymous

Goooooooooo Liz  s:D :D s:D

wbarrwebster

Nice one Liz ..

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Nice write up with pics,thats how i did it but you have made it easier for everyone to understand.Nice one  s:D :D s:D

Liz

I come in useful sometimes!  I followed your instructions so we both had a part in that!

m0jo

Excellent right up thanks!   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

When i went down to rogue had a mast from mr T but they told me bar the huge bend in the mast the motor was also at fault recieving 12v but not moving   s:x :x s:x  so depating whether to get a white halfords aftermarket one, just debating its looks though, don't want it looking horrid.

Thudd

Can't you get a black beesting?

m0jo

Quote from: "Thudd"Can't you get a black beesting?

Dunno i'm in two minds about this

dont think picture works so link
 m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165626 m

How easy would refeeding the areial cable through to the stereo be though? Do you still have to do that with the black beesting?

philster_d

Interesting Liz,

I had a similar problem on my mk2.

Im sure I got a new inner part, that was the aerial bit and plastic whip. Then you can just feed it in the top with the radio on and turn it off to wind it back in.

Phil

Two's Company

Driving down the motorway and see a plastic bag floating around in the wind.  I think "please don't hit the aerial" and you can guess what happened next.  I slowed down and removed the bag but the damage is done and the mast is bent.  Now the aerial won't retract fully and it seems the 2nd stem from the bottom is bent.  I have tried to bend it back into shape whilst in situ with a bit of success - it now extends fully but won't retract.  Don't like the sound of £40 for a new one.    s:( :( s:(

wbarrwebster

Screw the chrome nut off, turn radio on, as the aerial comes up gently pull it out.  

Attempt to staighten it...

Push the plastic toothed end down the mount, turn radio off.....the aerial motor should pull the mast down assuming you've straightened it enough ( he says) Replace the chrome nut!

B
W. B. Webster

Two's Company

I straightened it a bit but was trying not to snap it.

RacingSnake

Quote from: "Twos Company"I straightened it a bit but was trying not to snap it.
Mine took to not retracting - probably due to water ingress from the side drains. I lived with it for a long time but then the flaming bin lorry swiped my aerial one morning and I found it pointing sideways like a long metal indicator so I had to snap it off myself.  Only a new mast is going to save mine now  s:( :( s:(

Tags: