Rear Fog light

Started by Anonymous, October 9, 2008, 14:23

Anonymous

Hi,

Just had my mrs jap import for its mot, the guy passed it but said it should have failed on the fog light, he just noted there was something wrong with the bulb

It is only a small 5 watt bulb (is this what they use in japan)

I need to upgrade it to a 20w

Problem is a 20w bulb is much bigger than a 5w so wont fit into the same bulb holder

Any ideas what i can do about this

Is this what i need

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REAR-FOG-LIGHT-LAMP-TOYOTA-HIACE-GRANVIA-HILUX-SURF-MR2_W0QQitemZ250305325262QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250305325262&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A4|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Regards

Kevin

ad_car_08

Find the bigger bulb and bayonet, chop it off, chop your exisiting fog bayonet off and solder the bigger one on?
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

onion86

As above..

Also, do you have the fog light attached to the back bumper or actually in the light cluster?
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Hi its currently in the light cluster

Would this mean with a bigger bayonet id have to make the hole bigger in the light cluster (can this be done)

is this what i need
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REAR-FOG-LIGHT-LAMP-TOYOTA-HIACE-GRANVIA-HILUX-SURF-MR2_W0QQitemZ250305325262QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250305325262&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A4|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Regards Kevin

roger

I can't see why a 5W is a problem, other than not shining enough. Is it an MOT fail? Many cars don't have fog lights.

You can buy that foglight and screw it to the bumper if you want to, but I suggest you try to get the inboard one fixed. If a 20W holder won't go in the hole, then maybe you just want to take the bulb out and not have a fog light for the MOT if its needed.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

id rather i could maybe make the hole bigger if possible to allow a bigger bayonet but not sure if its possible rather than fitting one to the outside.

I thought all UK cars had at least rear fog light/s

So is it part of the MOT to have a fog light, i thought it would have been, if not ill just take the bulb out next timebut surely he will reccomend a new bulb,

Regards

kevin

roger

Have you actually taken the light cluster off to see if the holder is actually smaller than the 20W? IIRC all the other bulbs at the rear are 20W, so anyone should act as a reference.

This says it is required, but nothing about wattage. Must just be able to see it from a distance.   s:? :? s:?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Hi yes ive checked, it is much smaller than the rest, and just doublr checked i doubt ill be able to make the hole bigger

I wonder what everyone else has done - if anything

Peter Wright

Quote from: "kevhky"Hi yes ive checked, it is much smaller than the rest, and just doublr checked i doubt ill be able to make the hole bigger
I got rid of the separate fog light and bought two bulb holders from a scrap yard the holes in the clusters were too small, then filed around the edges untill the bulb holders would fit put 20w bulbs in, now have fog lights in each side with no probs with MOT
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

onion86

My fog is in the light cluster too, but it was moved there by the previous owner. I'll have a look when I get home see what he's done with it. The filing idea sounds easy enough though, similar to what I did with the dodgy Lexus lights that came with my Civic.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Wright"
Quote from: "kevhky"Hi yes ive checked, it is much smaller than the rest, and just doublr checked i doubt ill be able to make the hole bigger
I got rid of the separate fog light and bought two bulb holders from a scrap yard the holes in the clusters were too small, then filed around the edges untill the bulb holders would fit put 20w bulbs in, now have fog lights in each side with no probs with MOT
Pete

This sounds the best idea and will certainly look better than fitting an extra light on the Bumper/grill

Pete did you only have one fog light at first or was there always 2

Ill make a trip to the scrappy next time im off and do the same

Anonymous

Hi, ive just done a search for bulbs on a car bulb website

Entered all my car details and it ells me the bulbs i require for the mr2

As follows

Tail Light - Product Code - OP21/5W-2
Brake Light - Product Code - OP21/5W-2

I thought these were 20w rather than 5w

Im getting confused now

Regards

Kevin

Peter Wright

Quote from: "kevhky"Pete did you only have one fog light at first or was there always 2
Ill make a trip to the scrappy next time I'm off and do the same
One separate fog light at first, just threw the wire to the other housing and hid it, looks a lot neater now, one of the first mods I did about 7 years ago
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Peter Wright

Anonymous

Will any of these holders be any good

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/bulb-holders-c-1011.html

if so let me know, prop easier for me to order than hunt a scrappy

Regards

Kev

Tags: