problems with standard sony stereo

Started by ad_car_08, October 17, 2008, 00:19

ad_car_08

Hi all,

ever since I've had my car (since Aug) I've had a problem with any of my CDs jumping when i play them through the standard Sony Head unit.
I initially put this down to bumps in the road skipping the CD, but it happens even on perfectly smooth roads. So next I borrowed a CD cleaning CD off my Dad and whizzed that around the head unit for a abit to clean the lens....that's not worked either! CDs are still skipping!!

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it just too sensitive?
I'm contemplating changing it for a CD/DVD combo because the skipping is annoying the hell outta me!!! But obviously I'd rather not have to fork out for a whole new head unit

Any advice??
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

northernalex

Mine is very sensitive and does somtimes skip over bumps, but its livable and not too bad. However I know that you're not the only one to complain abour the fault you are mentioning.  If youre under warrenty get MR T to sort it, if not.. then a dvd head unit can be great if you have a lot of MP3s and you want to put them all on one DVD.  

Best,

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Mine standard unit is fine with cds,hardly ever skips you must have a faulty unit.

dbrown

mine's jumped since i got the car (facelift stereo, iirc toyota branded but not sure)
asked about it under warranty and the dealer said it worked ok for them
asked again when in for a service and they said it was jumping
warranty would cover it but it would need taking out and sending away
if the repairer didn't find a fault or found it was not a maufacturer fault
(i.e. something been pushed inside or similar) everything would be to pay for

fair enough i suppose and he did say he couldn't remember anyone ever having to pay

i decided to leave it and just use an ipod touch and fm transmitter
until i get round to putting an aftermarket one in
Darren

2004 silver roadster totally [strike]standard[/strike] wrecked \":(\"

ad_car_08

I'm definitely swaying towards the DVD/CD player, but have my doubts as to how well it will fit, and whether I'll still be able to put the black plastic cover over the aftermarket stereo, like I do with the standard one now. Just takes away that incentive for possible theives to want to break in if they cant immediately see a lovely looking headunit!

I can live with the odd skip, but its getting beyond a joke now!!  s:? :? s:?  

Can you just straight swap the standard stereo with an aftermarket double din, or are extra facias or brackets required??
[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Can you just straight swap the standard stereo with an aftermarket double din, or are extra facias or brackets required??

A quick search for "stereo replacement" brought up this thread at the very top of the results:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19430&p=240269&hilit=stereo+replacement#p240269

The parts listed, I believe, cover off everything you need to replace the Sony unit with a single DIN unit, if you decide to go the replacement route.  I would advise not ruling out single DIN stuff, as it considerably widens the choice of kit available.  And you get to install a handy slot for your mints/tissues/'phone/whatever.  Which is nice  :-) :-) :-)

For what it's worth, the job is pretty straightforward - even I managed to do it and I'm really not into spannering cars (but less into forking out cash for a job I was advised was an easy DIY fix - which it proved to be).  It took me a bit longer than a couple of hours, but that's because I was being overly careful.  After sorting the head unit successfully, some time later I even managed to add an iPod kit.  This is something I would recommend (or at least having the option to add MP3/MP3 Player and/or iPod capabilities) just for the sheer convenience of not having to faff around for music whilst you are driving.

Hope that helps.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

wbarrwebster

Hi,

As an alternative, you could fit a Sony 6 or 10 disc unit, it'll plug directly into the back of the current set up, run the control and audio wires under the carpet, put the unit into bottom of the n/r side bin......I also fitted the remote commander on the column which makes everthing nice and easy. Got one in the 2 and in the truck.

Just been made redundant so pulling the Sony Disc unit out the truck......(it's a 6 or 10 can't remenber) Pm me if interested.

B.
W. B. Webster

ad_car_08

wbarrwebster, you have a PM   s:) :) s:)
[/size]

Tags: