Alloy Wheel Size Help

Started by Anonymous, November 3, 2008, 13:54

Anonymous

Hi All.

Just registered as a user on here as ive just got myself a MK3 MR2 Roadster on an 04 plate. Love the car already.

The car at the mo has the normal alloys which are all curbed and flakey and are due to be chnaged as the tyres are almost gone too. Im looking to replace them and was wondering what size I should be looking to get and is there anything else I should know like alignment fitting and stuff. Ive seen alot of sites saying et38 and other things and wondered what that meant. The car currently has 15's on the front ands 16's on the back, would 17's all round be ok and what size?

Cheers all for any help and ill get some pics up once they new ones are fitted.

Deano

evileye_wrx

Welcome to the club. I have 17's all round et +45. there may be some manipulation of the wheel arches needed to prevent rubbing.

There's lots of topics already on this very topic so a quick search will reveal more info than I can give via my mobile

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

StuM

Quote from: "DeanBaker"Ive seen alot of sites saying et38 and other things and wondered what that meant.

Hi Dean,

Welcome to the site.

Have a read of this: Wheels

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

roger

Welcome Dean. As a newbie a good read is all the stickies at the tops of each section. You'll become an expert in no time, and have more answers than questions   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

northernalex

If/when you look at some wheels, drop a quick question into this thread and we can double check if we think it will fit (not a guarentee mind) and also.. make sure you keep the tyre stagger if you get new alloys.

Alternativley you could just get them refurbished - I think pink would look good  s:) :) s:)  (sorry couldnt resist.. one of these days I'm going to get someone to refurb their alloys in pink)

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Hi All.

Cheers for all the info. Things are starting to make a little more sense now.

Ive gone ahead and bought some alloys and they are comming tomorrow (im taking the day off work to wait in for them and ill paint the calippers too). Ive ordered 17's all round (didnt see the last post about keeping the stagger until just now, oops) i hope they will be ok. The offset on them is 40, according to the supplier that should be fine. Heres a link to what ive just ordered http://www.alloywheels.com/product.asp?P_ID=1930&V_ID=110447&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=4x100%20et35,4x100%20et37,4x100%20et38,4x100%20et40,4x100%20et42,4x100%20et45,4x100/54-1%20et45&numPageStartPosition=6&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=59&strSort=Low&Make=Toyota&Model=MR2%204%20Stud&strSize=17%22&searchSize=17%22. Let me know what u think. My car is a dark gun metal grey with red leather (like the red special edition but without the red roof). Its also got the twin TTE exhausts, side skirts, chrome roll bar and chrome interior trim. I was looking for ages for one that was non standard from the manufacturer and finally found one.

Cheers once again
Deano

uktotty

Wheels look good mate, but if there is NO STAGGER you will spin it out, you will crash it and your wheels will be useless on a written off car.
When you said "I hope this is OK" I sincerely hope you meant you have fixed the stagger issue?
if all the tyres are the same size its a recipe for disaster.

Anonymous

Is the stagger that important???? My sister has the same car but on a 51 plate and she has the original 15's all round. Is there anything I can do with the new wheels (apart from sending 2 back and swapping them) to help with the handling?

Cheers
Deano

markiii

it's the width stagger thats important, and stock 15s have that
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

If you have alook at your sister's car, you'll see different tyre sizes on there. The stagger, we have seen over the years is pretty crucial for a safe handling car. Without it, the 2 has a tendency towards snap oversteer, which has resulted in cases of crashed cars I'm afraid. Research is vital before embarking on new wheels and tyres.
At the end of the day, it is the individual's choice, but the generally accepted wisdom of the stagger is the safest way to go.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Oh I see, ive got 205/40/17 all round. Its too late to change the order now as they are probably in the van now on the way to me. What sort of sizes do you think i should be looking to get? Front and rear.

Sorry to be a pain to you all.

Cheers
Deano

StuM

Quote from: "DeanBaker"Oh I see, ive got 205/40/17 all round. Its too late to change the order now as they are probably in the van now on the way to me. What sort of sizes do you think i should be looking to get? Front and rear.

Cheers
Deano

Have a read through here and all should be revealed.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

roger

You will also notice (from your handbook?) that the standard wheels are 1/2" bigger at the rear than the front 6.5" as against 6".

This is done to accomodate the wider tyre. Whilst having same size wheels is not an absolute no no, it will restrict what tyres you can get on. If you don't have wider tyres, then drive like a Granny until they are worn out - or until you change them.

Hate to ask, but did you upgrade to Toyo? If not what are they offering as standard?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

northernalex

But you've ordered from Rochford Tyres.. you'll probably get one wheel next week and another different type of wheel the week after etc etc.. (check the feedback section for Rochford Tyres).

Nice looknig wheels by the way. But to re-iterate.. you must keep the tyre stagger.. 99% of the crashes we see on here are due to incorrect stagger or mixed tyres.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Quote from: "DeanBaker"Oh I see, ive got 205/40/17 all round. Its too late to change the order now as they are probably in the van now on the way to me. What sort of sizes do you think i should be looking to get? Front and rear.

Cheers
Deano

OMG...I got palmed off with exactly the same sizes as yourself all round...Ask Toyota,they will tell you it's preferable to have larger rear wheels just as your car would have done straight out of the factory.

Have a read of the other thread 'afew problems with the supplier'  hope thats of help, i'd hate anyone to have to go through the rigmarole i went through.Don't let anyone fob you off.

Good Luck

damonball

hi guys. I've been searching a lot but can't find a definate answer. I've lowered 25mm and am looking at some 17'' alloys. Will an offset of 38mm be ok on all round 17x7 with the correct size Tyres at these dimensions or am I asking for trouble with rubbing? Could someone give me a correct size Tyres to go with for 17x 7's with the correct stagger etc to keep stock dims. More to the point, could people please reply if your trying this set up and tell me the problems with a 38mm offset at 25/30mm lowering.

Thanks
Damon

evileye_wrx

Oz Ultraleggera's have an offset of 38. You just need to find someone with some of those   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Rubbing can be alleviated with a heat gun into the wheel arches and then some molding. Stagger should be 20mm wider at rear than the front.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Quote from: "damonball"hi guys. I've been searching a lot but can't find a definate answer. I've lowered 25mm and am looking at some 17'' alloys. Will an offset of 38mm be ok on all round 17x7 with the correct size Tyres at these dimensions or am I asking for trouble with rubbing? Could someone give me a correct size Tyres to go with for 17x 7's with the correct stagger etc to keep stock dims. More to the point, could people please reply if your trying this set up and tell me the problems with a 38mm offset at 25/30mm lowering.

Thanks
Damon
Hi Damon, i've had mine lowered 30mm with a bodykit. I'm running 38 on the fronts with 205/45/16's with a 7.0 wheel and no rubbing.

Cj

markiii

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Oz Ultraleggera's have an offset of 38. You just need to find someone with some of those   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Rubbing can be alleviated with a heat gun into the wheel arches and then some molding. Stagger should be 20mm wider at rear than the front.

Phil

may not help if it hits teh metal though

m http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp m  will show you the effect of changes
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

garethrees

Hello,

I'm looking to replace the factory alloys on my wife's 02 MR2, my understanding is that the factory MR-T alloys are:

15in x 6in on the front
15in x 6.5in on the rear

and have the following tyre sizes

Front: 185/55R15 V 81
Rear: 205/50R15 V 81

We are looking at http://www.momo-uk.co.uk/gallery/road%20wheels/momo%20corse/corse-black-chrome-HR.jpg   and have seen on the other thread that others have fitted them.

I want to keep the same tyres and just change the rims, so If I order 2 for the front and 2 for the back (wider) will I be okay?  Does anyone else have these Momo alloys and have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers Gaz
---------------
Hers - 02 UK MR2 Roadster - SP Sports Exhaust, PPE Engineering Sports Cat, Black DOTZ Alloys, Kenwood Double DIN ICE.  SOLD
His - 03 Honda S2000 Silverstone - Stock
His - 96 UK Supra TT Storm Blue (6spd Manual) Stock - SOLD

markiii

in principle yes you'll be fine

you need to check teh offsets though as that may/may not be an issue

just a word of warning though you may not care, Momos are pretty heavy as alloys go.

garethrees

Quote from: "markiii"in principle yes you'll be fine

you need to check the offsets though as that may/may not be an issue

just a word of warning though you may not care, Momos are pretty heavy as alloys go.

Thanks Markiii, Much appreciate the help, I'm not so worried about the Momos being heavy,
but I am no worried about the offsets   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   , does anyone know what the standard 15in have or I require?
Cheers Gaz
---------------
Hers - 02 UK MR2 Roadster - SP Sports Exhaust, PPE Engineering Sports Cat, Black DOTZ Alloys, Kenwood Double DIN ICE.  SOLD

markiii

you want as close to 45mm as you can

garethrees

Quote from: "markiii"you want as close to 45mm as you can

Thanks Again Markiii,  I googled a bit too and found this link which you also answered:  m http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 56&p=14370 m  which I've added for completeness.
Cheers Gaz
---------------

garethrees

So... now that I'm over the first hurdle (thanks Markiii), i.e .working out what I need... the next thing is trying to buy it.

It appears that were ever you go to buy alloys, they all want to sell you 4 the same size. Or don't make the same style in 15x6 and 15x6.5  

I however would like to keep the same size spec as the original car:-

Front: 15 x 6 in (offset 45)
Rear: 15 x 6.5 in (offset 45)

Has anyone else got this combination or can make any recommendations, I have four good tyres (Toyo Proxy T1-R) and don't want to dump them.
Cheers Gaz
---------------

Tags: