Ducktail Spoiler

Started by ad_car_08, November 3, 2008, 14:10

ad_car_08

I've been quite taken by the idea of getting a ducktail spoiler fitted, which led me to the similarities between the roadster spoiler and the (older shape) Audi TT.
I seem to remember quite a number of years ago, when the older shaped Audi TT was released, there was some form of recall so that they could fit duck tail spoilers to them to increase downforce. (or so I believe??). Do ducktail spoilers add downforce to roadsters running that shape spoiler??

My thoughts were that road cars didn't run at fast enough speeds to really benefit from rear spoilers (which confused me somewhat when Audi thought the ducktail would make things honkey dorey), but was wondering if I was totally wrong??
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Anonymous

My guess and it's purely only a guess is thats it's cosmetic and may serve no purpose. I've one fitted and think it goes well with the lines of the MR2 Roaster well.
Perhaps one of the great techy ppl can help you.

Cj

markiii

bearing in mind it's a spoiler not a wing yes I expect it works
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

I have no idea about Audi, but don't the ducktail spoilers for us mount only on the plastic bumper? And aren't the spoilers itself some plastic/PU/FG anyway? If it created any useable downforce, I bet it would either break itself or rip the bumper.  s:? :? s:?  

Think of it this way, would you jump on it to create the downforce? That's roughly the forces you're looking at from the airflow with working wings/spoilers.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"bearing in mind it's a spoiler not a wing yes I expect it works

WOW! not only do i have a little red pocker rocket, i also have serious groundforce....  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Chris_h

I think it is more to do with managing the airflow as it leaves the car - it could be bendy and still makle a difference, I don't beleive it has to be an F1 style wing! - but then again, wobbly obviously limits effectiveness.

ISTR the AUDI issue was at autobahn speeds.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

northernalex

Well I'm selling my massive CF wing.. that has serious downforce, but serious uglyness on a non kitted car..

Regarding the ducktail spoiler, anything that increases the "length" of the car will reduce its overall wind resistance - so it has to be good   s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

muffdan

Quote from: "Tem"I have no idea about Audi, but don't the ducktail spoilers for us mount only on the plastic bumper? And aren't the spoilers itself some plastic/PU/FG anyway? If it created any useable downforce, I bet it would either break itself or rip the bumper.  s:? :? s:?  

Think of it this way, would you jump on it to create the downforce? That's roughly the forces you're looking at from the airflow with working wings/spoilers.

The TTE ducktail has metal brackets behind the bumper plastics anchoring the spoiler to the steel work. It's an absolute bugger to put on and off!

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"I think it is more to do with managing the airflow as it leaves the car - it could be bendy and still makle a difference, I don't beleive it has to be an F1 style wing! - but then again, wobbly obviously limits effectiveness.

ISTR the AUDI issue was at autobahn speeds.

Mine dos'nt wobble, then have we concluded the ducktail spoiler gives serious groundforce however minimal?
Awaiting to pop open the cork on this wine to celebrate   s:| :| s:|

loadswine

Don't worry about the spoiler, just drink the wine!!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "Tem"I have no idea about Audi, but don't the ducktail spoilers for us mount only on the plastic bumper? And aren't the spoilers itself some plastic/PU/FG anyway? If it created any useable downforce, I bet it would either break itself or rip the bumper.  s:? :? s:?  

The TTE ducktail has metal brackets behind the bumper plastics anchoring the spoiler to the steel work. It's an absolute bugger to put on and off!

Jason

TTE don;t make a ductail, thats a Toyota UK item
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

a WING CREATES downforce

A SPOILER just SPOILS teh airflow to prevent nasty things happening

there is a difference

Tem

Quote from: "northernalex"Regarding the ducktail spoiler, anything that increases the "length" of the car will reduce its overall wind resistance - so it has to be good   s:) :) s:)

That's easy to test. Drive 60mph and let the car coast on neutral. Mark the place where it stops. Repeat 5 times, take shortest and longest out and average the other 3. Then repeat without the spoiler.  s;) ;) s;)

Wouldn't be the first appearance mod that actually increases the wind resistance. Not that I ever tested one, I just have one collecting dust in my garage.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

StuM

IIRC the TT problem was a lack of high-speed stability - exagerated on corners.  The ducktail spoiler that was fitted resolved this issue, along with some suspension tweaks - basically a*se covering (literally!) but something that 99% of TT owners would probably never need:

Quote2000 Audi TT Recall ID from NHTSA: 99V300000
Auto Recall Date: 11/10/1999
Vehicle Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER ARM
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 6200
2000 AUDI TT Defect Summary:
PASSENGER VEHICLES. IN SHARP HIGH SPEED TURNS OR ABRUPT LANE CHANGE MANEUVERS AT SPEEDS SUBSTANTIALLY ABOVE POSTED SPEED LIMITS, AND DEPENDING UPON ROAD CONDITIONS, PRECISE STEERING RESPONSE MAY BE DEMANDED TO RETAIN DIRECTIONAL STABILITY.
Defect Consequence:
IN THE EVENT CONTROL IS LOST, A CRASH MAY OCCUR RESULTING IN INJURY.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT STABILIZERS IN FRONT DRIVE AUDI TT'S AND THE FRONT AND REAR STABILIZERS IN AUDI TT'S EQUIPPED WITH QUATTRO DRIVE. A MODIFIED CONTROL ARM WILL BE INSTALLED IN FRONT TOGETHER WITH FIRMER SHOCK ABSORBERS IN FRONT AND REAR. IN ADDITION AUDI WILL INSTALL A REAR SPOILER.

Even very small wings have a dramatic effect on airflow over the car.  Check out the size of air-brakes on cars like the Veyron, and the automated spoiler that pops up on Boxsters.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Tem

Quote from: "StuM"
QuoteREPLACE THE FRONT AND REAR STABILIZERS
MODIFIED CONTROL ARM WILL BE INSTALLED IN FRONT
FIRMER SHOCK ABSORBERS IN FRONT AND REAR
REAR SPOILER

I have no trouble believing that changing the shocks, stabilizers and control arm makes the car handle better.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Would be interesting to know if anyone can notice the rear spoiler while driving, without knowing if it's there or not.

loadswine

I've got a larger item than most and apart from obstructing my rear vision, i haven't noticed it gives any real driving benefit at all.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"I've got a larger item than most and apart from obstructing my rear vision, i haven't noticed it gives any real driving benefit at all.

Have you tryed puttin ya foot down abit?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

northernalex

Quote from: "Cj"
Quote from: "loadswine"I've got a larger item than most and apart from obstructing my rear vision, i haven't noticed it gives any real driving benefit at all.

Have you tryed puttin you foot down abit?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I dont think nigel has a foot "up" position  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Tags: