Remote locking.

Started by wbarrwebster, January 19, 2009, 17:40

wbarrwebster

Hi,

For whatever reason the key remote will not activate the central  locking , my wife tells me this always happens when its been raining.

I press the lock button on the remote....nothing happens, no lights, no locking.......I press the unlock button, the indicators flash...

Any ideas?

B .
W. B. Webster

SteveJ

listen very carefully for a very faint beeping from the alarm system - I bet it thinks either a door or the frunk / engine cover are open due to water ingress into one of the switches.

wbarrwebster

Many thanks for your quick reply......problem is, that although all Mr2s had an OEM alarm.......my 2001  has no alarm pins in the engine compartment, the frunk, I could never find the siren, either by the spare wheel or under it, could never find the "box" near, under or behind the Driver's Seat, I've never heard the alarm.....I've jumped in with the door closed and when it should have been activated........got no response, no siren, nought!!!..........

I'll check out the door "triggers" in relation to the remote.

Funny, is it not?

Thanks again.........any input on the alarm issue would be appreciated.

B
W. B. Webster

SteveJ

Quote from: "wbarrwebster"all Mr2s had an OEM alarm.......

No they didnt  s;) ;) s;)

The TVISS was fitted at port of entry (in the case of genuine UK spec cars, that was Filton in Bristol). Grey imports via Europe DIDN'T get the TVISS fitted - typically the dealer installed a 3rd party alarm as part of the sale. Cars from Japan are the same - no TVISS

I suspect you have a grey import via Europe and the dealer never fitted an alarm. You should inform your insurance company of this PDQ.

wbarrwebster

Many thanks, will follow up on the alarm........

On the original subject of Remote Locking, took contacts apart, cleaned everything, messed about, everything working ok now

Thanks again.

B
W. B. Webster

arty2506

I have this issue...keys will unlock, but won't lock the car so I have to physically put the keys in the door & manually lock. I've replaced the key batteries & the red light comes on on the key when pressing the lock button, but the car won't lock!!! So annoying - any ideas?
In my garage - X Reg red MR2 Roadster with matching hard top. Love her!!! \":-)\" 4 years, 40k miles, £500 repair costs. Incredible car and a fantastic drive!

wbarrwebster

Hi,

I eventually had an after market alarm fitted.that works off the original key.

There is a way to re educate your remote in a sequence.....suggest you do a search on here.

Just a thought......remember to check all your Alarm pins..first, make sure everything is closed.... the alarm will not activate if anything is not closed properly.

Hope this helps.

B
W. B. Webster

arty2506

Thank you  :-) :-) :-)

Going to try reprogramming the keys tonight! Hopefully that will solve the problem. Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.
In my garage - X Reg red MR2 Roadster with matching hard top. Love her!!! \":-)\" 4 years, 40k miles, £500 repair costs. Incredible car and a fantastic drive!

arty2506

Right...tried the key reprogramming sequence with both keys. Nothing happens, apart from when I get to the part where I press both buttons on the key. With the one key that unlocks (with the other key it does nothing) it unlocks the locks, but it doesn't go through the cycle of locking and unlocking, and as such nothing has changed. One key still does nothing, and the other still just unlocks. I don't know what to look for when you say check the alarm pins (don't know what they look like or where they are!)...any other suggestions? I'm wondering whether the keys are just knackered, or whether the central locking is! If I unlock using the key button, and then lock by putting the key into the door & manually locking, it does mean the alarm goes off when I open the car by opening manually, so I gather it is functioning. Whole new key needed? Maybe the buttons are bust on both keys? Any suggestions most welcome!!!

wbarrwebster

Phew,

First of all  I suggest one is something wrong with one of the keys if it doesn't even activate the unlock. I can't think of anything obvious, other than swap the batteries.

You should have alarm pins under the bonnet and under engine hood you see them on a bracket near the rear of the engine compartment, find it, then look for a similar one under the bonnet,  check the connections are ok. Additionally unscrew the door pins. make sure they are earthing ok.having said that if you dome light is coming on when you open the two doors, that would suggest they are ok.

One other thing attempt to activate the alarm from different areas around the car.......maybe shes not picking up the signal unless you're in a given area, worth a try.

B
W. B. Webster

arty2506

I think I have discovered the problem...the buttons are bust on the keys! The unlock button works on one key, so all I do when I get out of the car now is press the Unlock button and 30 seconds later the central locking locks itself! A temporary solution, but have found a place that repairs the buttons on the keys on eBay for about £25. Might send a spare one off to him and see if comes back fixed!

Thank you so much for your help  :-) :-) :-)

Tags: