Heated seats

Started by amplify!, March 6, 2009, 17:13

amplify!

Hi, this might be the dumbest question ever seen on MR2ROC but how hot do the heated seats get & how long does it take for them to get there?

The reason being that i am not convinced that my heated seats actually work. I switch both seats onto Hi & plonk myself in one of them & engage in the obligatory hooning about. The passenger seat doesnt feel any warmer to the touch but mine does. This could just be body heat of course. I have checked the fuses & they are fine so I dunno what the story is.

Anonymous

Why not turn both on without sitting on them and compare,or mybe use some kind of thermostat.

Anonymous

Quote from: "life of bryan"Why not turn both on without sitting on them and compare,or mybe use some kind of thermostat.
Also are you sure you have heated seats fitted as i dont think they are standard?

amplify!

These were fitted from new as an optional extra according to the stuff i got with it when i bought the car.

muffdan

checked the fuse? (If there is one!)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

wbarrwebster

I realise this might sound daft..but on occations for a joke,( real comedian me?) I would switch the seats on without telling the passenger and within, say  5 to 10 minutes they would reference the fact their bum/back was getting warmer.....not to say hot!!

I know it's a real lousy way of checking but why not try it....you should certainly get an reaction from someone who has no idea what the story is!!

As mentioned, you become rapidly aware in 5/10 minutes that my seats are on.....no question!

B
W. B. Webster

evileye_wrx

Have you checked they are plugged in underneath the seat? My seats have 2 wires, one for the heated seat and one for the seatbelt warning. If the seats have ever been out the person doing it may have forgotten to conect these back up.

Rule out the easy stuff first

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

amplify!

Yeah, both seem securely plugged in underneath. I've done the whole 'switch it on with unwitting passenger test' but they don't seem to notice. I was in it yesterday & thought 'Oooh, this is warm' only to look & the switch be off!   s:? :? s:?

wbarrwebster

Ok,

Next step is to confirm you have live to switches, drop the panel, or pull switches out.  (Ignition on)  put tester on all contacts,  confirm live at switches and that neg is returning ok.

If ok at switches, next thing is to pull one of the seats out to access the heated seat connectors ( 4 seat bolts) and  test the wires to confirm you have juice to the seats. Obviously, what you're doing is simply checking for a break or a short....I honestly can't see both seats "going at once" has to be some kind of electrical malfunction before the seat pads.
Hope this helps..

B
W. B. Webster

wbarrwebster

Meant to say, surely not like a Glasgow man to let this get the better of him......(God forbid it should cost a Weegie money)  lol

B ( ex Glorious Govanhill)
W. B. Webster

amplify!

Haha!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Well, I'm a Fifer originally so that's even worse!

This looks like a Sunday job. I'll let you know how i get on.

davidhowson

With mine, you have to be sitting in the seat to notice a change in temperature, there is no real change when the seat is empty and the heater switched on.

amplify!

Pulled the switches out earlier & the live to the driver's side switch came out. (Must have been loose) gave the connector a gentle squeeze with a pair of pliers, popped it back in & both now work fine.

Toasty cheeks all round.   s:D :D s:D

ex-member

I cant feel the heat on mine by hand, but feel it on my back quite nicely....mines has pads in the base too, but i dont seem to feel them!

wbarrwebster

You should be able to feel the lower pad as well.........there are separate connectors for back and bottom that come together  under  the seat, you may wish to confirm the wires for the lower sections are connected.

B
W. B. Webster

Tags: