Footwell Lights

Started by wbarrwebster, March 6, 2009, 18:28

wbarrwebster

I want to fit Footwell Lights, done the search...........noted that you can take the wires from the dome light down the side of the windscreen...............Having pushed  a wire or rather having attempted to push a wire from the Dome Light,  down the passenger side several times, I keep coming across an obstruction. I can't get the wire as far as the floor.....just can't get a grip on it to pull it out at the bottom....  

Anyone any ideas/ thoughts/ experience?

Thanks,

B
W. B. Webster

Gif

Wired mine into a permanent positive in the passenger footwell and then back to the earth connection to the door switch.  Works perfectly, the only issue being that you can't switch them off with the interior light.  But why would you want to, they are there to come on!
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

Anonymous

Footwell lights, this sounds interesting

Which ones have you fitted and where from, nice mod for me to do but no idea which to choose

Regards

Kev

alancdavis

I always find it difficult to find the ignition keyhole in the dark   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

uktotty

I recon this is the answer.
Use the festoon bulb and convert it to a light if you run the wires around???

wbarrwebster

Quote from: "Gif"Wired mine into a permanent positive in the passenger footwell and then back to the earth connection to the door switch.  Works perfectly, the only issue being that you can't switch them off with the interior light.  But why would you want to, they are there to come on!
Gif,

Got the Led lights, can pick up a constant live from the foot well no problem.which earth wire did you piggy back?

I can get a earth wire to passenger door but it will only operate the Footwell lights when the passenger door opens and not the driver's door.....ideally I only want to piggy back one wire that earths both doors........As I mentioned in previous post, I tried to drop wire down the windscreen from the Dome light...without success.

Can you indentify the actual location in the lhs of the Footwell ( there are a bundle of relays and it's a junction for about 4 looms there) and colour of the correct wire if possible.....

Cheers,

B
W. B. Webster

Gif

If you have opened up the passenger kick plate as you say you will find a load of connectors beneath.

You can piggy back into the left door switch earth feed.  The circuits are spliced together so either door should earth that section of wiring when opened.  It's fairly narrow gauge R-W wire (that is red with a narrow white stripe although it looks hellish yellow in mine in the dark).

It's in and out of a small white snap connector shown in the pic below.

Can't believe I just took my car apart again to take a picture of it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

PS Ignore my non-standard wiring colour scheme!
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather

wbarrwebster

Gif,

Will get to this Sunday morning...(after Church..he he) Really  looking forward to fitting these lights..........to be honest, I'm also thinking about how I can also have them on with instrument  lights.......

Either way, many thanks for your very quick response, you'll get your  reward before you get to heaven.........

Will update you in due course..

Cheers again,

B
W. B. Webster

wbarrwebster

Gif,

Found the connecton ok....... would have struggled without your picture......I put an inline 5amp fuse on the live.....

Had an issuse actually siteing the led strip lights, eventually put them at the bottom of the glove box frame on the passenger side and on the lower section on the steering wheel cowl..........
Initially was unempressed when I finished with it this afternoon.......

Now I've seen it in the dark, looks the bizzo, very happy with the overall effect............my youngest wants me to repeat the excercise on his Fiesta!!

Thanks for all your assistance.

B
W. B. Webster

Gif

I had exactly the same experience.  Doesn't look very good in the day but the blue/white light they emit in the night gives it a very professional look IMO.

Glad you got there

wbarrwebster

Just looked at my spelling again...I have to go back to school................"unempressed"

The combination of the Led in the clear  Dome Light , the Leds Map Lights in the rear view mirror plus the footwell, really sets the car off!!

You ever thought about connecting the Footwells to instrument lights?...em, might be a light too far .

B
W. B. Webster

Gif

Couldn't quite follow your meaning there.

Do you mean so they come on when the instrument panel is lit?  Personally I prefer it as dark as possible in the car when I am driving.  Eyes are getting old see!

wbarrwebster

What I meant was setting it up so the Footwell Lights would come on with the Dash Lights, on reflection, maybe a wee bit too much.......

Suggest you try and get the Mitsubishi FTO rear View Mirror with the map lights, it's a great mod, not that dificult to wire up and looks OEM.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help.

B
W. B. Webster

wbarrwebster

Quote from: "kevhky"Footwell lights, this sounds interesting

Which ones have you fitted and where from, nice mod for me to do but no idea which to choose

Regards

Kev

Kev,

Purchased from these guys on Ebay.......

LED Interior Flexible Footwell Foot Well Pedal Lights 2
   Item number: 360123532498   

Very happy with overall effect........If fitting, suggest you follow wiring as previous Posts.

Any issues, contact Gif or yours truely.

B
W. B. Webster

Russel Nash

Blue
or Red what ever the mood takes you!

StuC

What bulbs did you use?

Are they on a separate switch or linked into the door opening like the previous posts mentioned?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Russel Nash

Lights are on an ignition controlled feed. Used the lighter 12v and earth. switched either red or blue or both. very easy cheap mod with great effects. These are the lights i used but next time I would get the same model in both red and blue. (blue model is best imho)
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170852431828? ... 951wt_1413 m
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110577066289? ... 1439.l2649 m

manchestermatt1986

My mr-s came with footwell lights, are these not standard??
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

wbarrwebster

Quote from: "manchestermatt1986"My mr-s came with footwell lights, are these not standard??
No.

B
W. B. Webster

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "wbarrwebster"
Quote from: "manchestermatt1986"My mr-s came with footwell lights, are these not standard??
No.

B

oooooooo     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Thats something i didnt know about my car for the last 5 years   s:D :D s:D
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

Anonymous

where can i pull a constant live from?

nathanMR2

In the passenger footwell. Think it's a white one but ul need to test it
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Tags: