Facelift (03) with Pre-facelift Wheels

Started by Orimental, March 23, 2009, 09:02

Orimental

Hi all

A friend from work recently sold her 2 (with aftermarket alloys) and subsequently gave me her original wheels as they had corroded like hell.  She had a pre-facelift model with 15's all round.

My alloys are currently spotless but have been thinking of refurbishing the old alloys and using them on my 2 in the winter or possibly for track days.  Thus I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to use the old alloys with a facelift 2 ?  I wasn't aware of any changes that would make it a no-go but you lot probably know more than me about this.

2) I was thinking of refurbishing the alloys with a polished chrome finish.  A bit bling I know but I love polished alloys (BTW I have a lagoon blue 2).

If they won't fit due to performance issues then I'll get them refurbed and then sell them on.  A shame really but there you go.

Many thanks

D

aaronjb

They'll fit just fine - and work just fine.. The rolling radius at the rear might be a tiny bit off, but not enough to make the speedo any more horribly inaccurate than it already is  s;) ;) s;)

I think (personally speaking - I've had both pre and post- wheels on my '02) that you might find it shifts the handling balance very slightly forward, but other than that nothing terribly bad.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Orimental

Quote from: "aaronjb"They'll fit just fine - and work just fine.. The rolling radius at the rear might be a tiny bit off, but not enough to make the speedo any more horribly inaccurate than it already is  s;) ;) s;)

I think (personally speaking - I've had both pre and post- wheels on my '02) that you might find it shifts the handling balance very slightly forward, but other than that nothing terribly bad.

Thanks for that   s:D :D s:D    That's just what I wanted to hear as I quite fancied refurbishing the alloys.  Handling wise I'll just have to adjust my style a tad but am hoping it's nothing too serious.

Now I just need to find a pic of a lagoon blue with bling chromed alloys   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Thanks again

D

nickyb

Quote from: "aaronjb"They'll fit just fine - and work just fine.. The rolling radius at the rear might be a tiny bit off, but not enough to make the speedo any more horribly inaccurate than it already is  s;) ;) s;)

Been trying to suss new wheels and have narrowed it down to Team Dynamics Monza Rs or Jets (both = ET45), or TSW Modenas (ET40).

I have a pre-facelift 2, ie both original wheels are 15 inch, et45 (according to markiii!), and the front = 6 inch and the rear 6.5.

2 urgent queries pls (need to order them Friday so can pay off before my tax year end 31 March)...

1.  Any thoughts re the above wheels effect on the car - same or similar ET so hopefully won't rub??  Think they're LL heavier than standard wheels, so will the weight affect the handling?  Etc?!
2.  Think all 3 don't come in 6 or 7 inch so would 6.5 all round, with standard Bridgestones (ie smaller at front), be OK?

Tags: