IO Connect install

Started by Thudd, March 23, 2009, 14:11

Thudd

Edit: Now fitted and working!

Fed up changing disks with my MY04 HU, and the radio is full of drivel.
When  I use my MP3 FM transmitter (which is fine on other cars) the reception is rubbish and it whines along with the engine RPM.

Any suggestions for an MP3 adaptor which plugs in, or a multichanger?

I tried a search and was confused with the jargon between Sony and Fisher Price - is it the Fisher Price unit I have?

I should make it clear that I want to keep the original HU for appearance, security, and resale.  But how can I connect my iPhone / a Hard Drive / a Multichanger without it costing the earth?
I've looked on ebay and had a google but found very little, and what I did find didn't make the distinction between models.

Cheers!

filcee

I don't think any of those things can be done with the original unit.  I replaced mine, boxed up the one that came with the car and put it in the loft.  If I sell on, I'll put the Toyota head unit back in and keep the aftermarket one for flea-bay/a mate/another car.

For what it's worth, I found that a better quality aftermarket replacement made a 'night and day' difference to sound quality in the car (to my ears).  I also added an iPod kit to the unit I bought.  The Toyota unit is a standard double-DIN fitting, and can be replaced with a similar aftermarket unit or a single DIN plus storage pocket.  Have a search in this part of the forum to find the details for the bits you need if you decide to go down this road.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

roger

Can't help on options, other than change the head unit. You could always put it back on re-sale.

And yes, you have the "Fisher Price", the nickname for the Toyota branded one. Made by one of those Japanese firms beginning with M, IIRC. The Sony was pre03.

Toyota did a multichanger as an option (I think), so there are sockets at the back - though you might have to sort that for a non-Toyota product.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Thudd

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have a look around for something subtle.

Thudd

Sorry, another stupid newbie question - do I have "active speakers" ?

roger

I think the answer is "no".

Active speakers don't need an amp to power them, but I would think the HU provides that in the car set-up.

Electrical whiz may contradict me.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

amplify!

Quote from: "Thudd"I should make it clear that I want to keep the original HU for appearance, security, and resale.  But how can I connect my iPhone / a Hard Drive / a Multichanger without it costing the earth?
I've looked on ebay and had a google but found very little, and what I did find didn't make the distinction between models.

Cheers!

I'm thinking about one of these to connect an iPhone.

http://www.my-io.com/Products/iOPLAY.aspx

They seem to be fairly cheap on eBay.

StuM

Quote from: "roger"I think the answer is "no".

Active speakers don't need an amp to power them, but I would think the HU provides that in the car set-up.

Electrical whiz may contradict me.

Spot on Roger.  Active speakers are usually spoken about with regard to subwoofers as these are power hungry beasts that normally require additional amplification.  This is either achieved using a seperate amp, or a neat all in one package.  They still need a power feed.

The OEM speakers are powered from the internal amp on the head unit.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

markiii

Quote from: "Thudd"Sorry, another stupid newbie question - do I have "active speakers" ?

no roadster did biut they were an option on the mk2 which is probably whereteh confusion comes from

in mk2 land an active speaker is so termed because an amp is hidden somewhere in teh car
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

This maybe?MP3- tape adaptor

amplify!

Quote from: "life of bryan"This maybe?MP3- tape adaptor

He won't have a tape on his Fisher Price though.

businessconsult

I have bought a Harman Kardon Drive + Play, with a wired FM input through the aerial.
About £35 on fleabay or BigPockets. Just need to decide where to site the display unit and find time to fit it.

Thudd

The IO Play looks really good
 m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Play-Innovative ... ZPZNM5YTND m
£65 from Amazon, tho the bluetooth adaptor for iPhone is £40.
There's an IO Connect which is only £40 but you can't skip tracks from it:
 m http://www.amazon.co.uk/CONNECT-UNIVERS ... 697&sr=1-2 m

Do I remember reading there's a standard ISO connector hidden under the carpet which I could just plug this into?

SteveJ

Quote from: "Thudd"Do I remember reading there's a standard ISO connector hidden under the carpet which I could just plug this into?

Nope - you will need a Toyota to ISO adapter. Only the pre-03 UK cars had the adapter as standard with the Sony HU

ad_car_08

Quote from: "life of bryan"This maybe?MP3- tape adaptor

I've just received my tape deck adaptor - it plays the song on my mp3 player for 2seconds, then keeps spitting the tape back out?!
Something Im doing wrong there?? Or have I just found another fault in my stereo??
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Thudd

Quote from: "SteveJ"Nope - you will need a Toyota to ISO adapter. Only the pre-03 UK cars had the adapter as standard with the Sony HU
Bah  s:( :( s:(

That means I'll also need an ISO to Toyota adaptor. By the time i've finished it'd be as cheap to pay the Halfrauds fitting  s:( :( s:(

Thudd

Anyone tried a DICE Silverline on a facelift stereo?  Looks like it just plugs in the changer socket.

pada1462

Hi

Connects2 (http://www.connects2.com) do two intefaces that fit the fisher price, I have the simple two phono one that then plugs in throught he headphone socket, appears as a single disk autochanger CD1-1, it came out of my old avensis which had the same matsushita plugs. To fit you simply unplug the 12 pin connector, which you can do without removing the head unit from the passenger footwell, the wires are long enough that the interface box sits in the glovebox in mine. Alternatively they do an ipod interface as well for more money.

Paul
Paul

\'54 Black Roadster with Hardtop +AC

Thudd

Cheers. I've been on there before - I can't find how to buy anything! Dreadful website. They list Halfords as a supplier, but Halfords don't list the products on their website.

pada1462

now I have had time to pul the velcro'ed unit out the model code is a VTYX001. I bought mine a few years ago, but after a quick re-search with the model number you could try here http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk

Cheers
Paul

\'54 Black Roadster with Hardtop +AC

Thudd

Inspired by the guide kindly posted by Nips http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=25488 I have ordered an IO Connect and a  Connects 2 CT10TY02 from Low Cost Car Audio http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/lcca/4148/mia/d/connects2+ct10ty02+toyota+land+cruiser+2003+t+harness/pid/9831360
Hope thats the right kit. Seems simple enough to fit.

10x8.5x2.4cm orange box, reckon I can squeeze that into the gap in the carpet under the dash.

Anonymous

You could do what i did install a parrot kit or simlar this will let you retain your factory HU + give you an iPod connection that charges any ipod iphone, USB & AUX and gives you bluetooth, you get a wireless button to control the unit and the volume is independent from the factory HU so you never need to touch it

m http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-free-car-kits m

if you need anymore info let me know

MKI9100

Thudd

That looks like a great, discrete install.
But i've already spent my £30 and ordered the IO Connect. The wire arrived the next day!
Do you remember if it goes straight into the HU or is there another connector further down?

I've not really meddled with my "good" car before, it's usually been an old Golf or Beetle, while leaving the expensive one alone, so i'm paranoid about bggering it up   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Thudd

I'm such a Noob  s:( :( s:(

I can't find where to plug the adaptor in - help!

There's two plugs in the RHS of the driver footwell by the ODBC socket which look about the right size, everthing else under there is too small.

There are 3 plugs in the back of the head unit but they're tiny. The other plug thing under there just looks wrong

Any suggestions?  HELP!   s:D :D s:D

Thudd

Right. I've searched the forum like mad, been on Spyderchat, the lot. I can't sort this.

It's an 04 Plate roadster, so presumably Fisher Price.

I've bought the adaptor:

Looking behind the dash clearly the plugs on the HU don't match. That's OK because I need to follow the wires to find the main Toyota loom, not the sub loom.

Is it the connectors to the left on the last pic? If so I have the wrong adaptor.
Alternatively, does the wire vanish under the carpet into the transmission tunnel?
Really can't sort it.
Epic Fail.

All help gratefully received.

Tags: