IO Connect install

Started by Thudd, March 23, 2009, 14:11

Thudd

Fag lighter now reconnected  s;) ;) s;)

I can see i'm going to have to dismantle the dash or pay someone to do it   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Thudd

Grey plug is the T cable. White plug is out the back of the top of the head unit.

Do I just have the wrong cable? Giving up now.

DannyN

Quote from: "Thudd"

Grey plug is the T cable. White plug is out the back of the top of the head unit.

Do I just have the wrong cable? Giving up now.

It looks right I think, will the grey bit plug into the back of the stero and will the white bit plug into a socket on the lead ?
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Thudd

It would if the plug from the back of the Head Unit didn't have an extra 2 pins at the bottom - if you look, the cable I was supplied is asymmetrical.

DannyN

Yes just spotted that, if you rotated one of them then they'd look the same apart from the extra 2 bits on the white bit
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Thudd

Pic matches the Connects2 website tho.

Thudd

Unless I need to get CT10TY01 the and plug it in to the lower section of the HU instead?

Looks similar to the two plugs nearer the driver (ignoring the plug nearest the passenger/aerial lead) on the lower section.

What I mean is, have I got completely the wrong wire?

Obviously I can't see the pins on the above very well, and on paper looks like it should be the CT10TY02.

enid_b

dude, relax, we can sort this out.

yes i fitted a fisher price unit this afternoon.  yes it is the same as the one shown in your pics, so we have the same model.

from looking at it, im not convinced you have the right wire. that grey thing looks odd.

firstly the one that comes from the car that you eventually connect to is the one that just disappears as you described it.  dont take out or connect any plugs that are not connected to the old unit

will be back with an update shortly - baby screaming!
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

enid_b

yep. having looked at it. the wire is wrong (from what i can tell on the pics.)
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

Thudd

If this is the back of the HU:

Should I be trying to plug into socket 1 with one cable (ie CT10TY02), or sockets 2 & 3 with a split cable (ie CT10TY01)?

Anonymous

You have brought a T Harness, you need a CT20TY02 wiring harness

do you have two blocks behind the Head unit or one?

I can supply you the right cables if you want, let me know

Thudd

But don't I need a T harness for an IO Connect? It acts like a hands free kit.
It plugs inline with ISO connectors and sits between the car and head unit. It's got a built in amp and interrupts connection when it receives a signal from the MP3 player. So I need a T Harness.
I wanted something invisible so I could leave the hood down   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Thudd

CT20 looks to have the correct socket tho - have I been sent the wrong cable on the CT10?

Edit: Ignore me, they're the same.

Thudd

I am convinced that the C10TY02 T Harness doesn't fit the roadster. Has anyone used one successfully?

Thudd

Nips, if you have a T-Harness for an 04, i'm interested. Local car audio place is saying they don't exist and they'd need to make one up   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Next stop: Halfrauds.

Thudd

Halfords say no wiring available.
Looks like I'll be getting one made then.

Thudd

Found this pic of the back of a fisher price. This isn't mine but is the same model.

As you can see, socket is different   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Hi, my car is a 2001 so i used a CT10TY01 i have a sony standard radio, some facelift cars have the old wiring so this must be the case with yours you will have to try a CT10TY01 the CT10TY02 does fit as ive installed them in a 2005 Roadster with the same standard HU u have.

I can supply you one delivered for

£10.58 sent royal mail 1st class standard
or
£15.64 Next working day

Let me know

Thudd

Cheers - that's a good price.

Trying to sort out an exchange on the existing cable first, if no joy i'll give you a call.

Thanks for your help on this. Frikkin nightmare   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Thudd"Cheers - that's a good price.

Trying to sort out an exchange on the existing cable first, if no joy i'll give you a call.

Thanks for your help on this. Frikkin nightmare   s:D :D s:D

ok no probs

Thudd

Update! With the the right cable (cheers!) twas a doddle.

Pulled the two drivers side plugs out of the bottom bank, plugged in the T-Harness, plugged the IO Connect into that, powered it up, winner.

Observations:

It works well, but it's not loud. It's audible, but not loud. Fine with the roof and windows up, otherwise... hmmm.

iPhone distorts at full volume through the headphone socket. Better (no distortion) through the line out on the ipod dock but still too quiet.
My old Creative Zen is a lot better so that's had a new lease of life.

So not sure what to do now. It's fine for listening to pod casts in traffic, but when out for a blast I think i'll still be using the CD.
I could buy a powered ipod line out eg the Kensington Liquidaux and use it as a pre-amp, but I'm not planning to spend any more money on it. Think I'll keep it for a while then maybe look at head units after xmas or something.

Anyone got any better ideas?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

enid_b

glad you got it sorted in the end.

i personally would recommend a new hu.  i started years back with a connects2 system, it was good but it was a pain trying to select what to play.

the alpine 9850i or modern equivalent was a most splendid beast. full control of your ipod via the hu. great sound quality too. cost about 170 delivered and again a doddle to fit.

start saving!!  plus better speakers will help. you dont have to go mad with a pair of rainbows, but something mid range will give you a huge sound boost. finally as i just mentioned on another thread, get some dynomat or other sound proofing material in your door linings (and anywhere else it will fit) this will make a big difference too.

E

sonixtorm

Has anyone tried the CTATYIPOD003 available from Connects2?

m http://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx? ... &modID=554 m

Tempted to give it a try, but can't seem to find any information on the device at all.

enid_b

Quote from: "sonixtorm"Has anyone tried the CTATYIPOD003 available from Connects2?

m http://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx? ... &modID=554 m

Tempted to give it a try, but can't seem to find any information on the device at all.

try the post 2 entries above this one     s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "enid_b"i personally would recommend a new hu.  i started years back with a connects2 system, it was good but it was a pain trying to select what to play.

sonixtorm

Quote from: "enid_b"try the post 2 entries above this one     s:D :D s:D  

Can't seem to find anything in this thread or the board on the CTATYIPOD003 - ...01 and ...02 seem to be mentioned here. Looks like the ...03 allows direct CD-changer style integration, but even a search on google only turns up the Connects2 website, which provides next to no information. I've emailed them and will see what they come back with.

Tags: