OEM stereo removal...?

Started by Dyn-Evo, November 15, 2009, 11:44

Dyn-Evo

Feel free to shoot me down in flames for asking this, but:

What is involved in removing the OEM double-DIN cd/cassette unit (Sony WX-C570R)?

Its just that I have learned from experience that it is easy to break bits of trim if you just plough on in there: hidden screws, etc....  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I have another Sony to fit (single DIN), and also have the question of where to get the fascia adapter/spacers (around £10?)

It looks like the wiring will be plug'n'play, so thats a bonus? Its just the physical fitting: If its gonna be a PITA, then its good to know upfront....!  s:D :D s:D

Cheers!
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

SteveJ

Cant be bothered to read the how-to guides then I take it?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Dyn-Evo

Well, yes and no, really...!

I only read the first one, but it was a little ambiguous....

However, I have now read a little further down and found another, more useful one.....so cheers....!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Its gonna be a PITA, then? Removing heater trim, etc........!

What happened to simply inserting a couple of screwdrivers, sliding out the old one, slotting in the new......?  s:D :D s:D
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.

WillsSayers

Dont start me, I hate the mk3's interior - the mk2 is such a nicer place to be in........  s:( :( s:(

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

enid_b

PITA????

nopes, its a 20 minutes job. read the how to's again.

even i could do it (and did twice!)
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Quote from: "enid_b"PITA????

20 mins I wish..... All the wiring had been tie-wraped far under the carpet which made thing extremely dificult for the first 15  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I've fitted atleast 5 doulble din to singles in the past year and this was by far the fiddliest, which is why it's still only part way through. Granted I'm fitting a sub aswell  but I've had murder with the double to single chasis ordered of the bay. It took ages to edge into place, so all the screw holes were alligned. Fitted and tested all working well but it looked crap with a gap all the way round?

I checked threads on here and it looks as if the original surround fits arround the new adaptor/chasis, so I removed and started again. It doesn't fit  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  So not only do I have a gap round the edge but now one of the lugs has snapped off and it's on a slant!!!!!!!!!

Where to get a decent adaptor for a pre-facelift 2 please?

Is this classed as hijacking, I hpe not?

markiii

I'm guessing you have the pre facelift sony in?

you need teh surround from teh post facelift fisher price
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

Facelift surround on prefacelift car

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"I'm guessing you have the pre facelift sony in?

you need the surround from the post facelift fisher price

Quote from: "uktotty"Facelift surround on prefacelift car

Cheers, looks good, I gather the bling is an after/ after market mod?

I did get the pre surround fo the sony and it was dear but could never understand why there is two surrounds availivble (pre/post face lift) as surely the steel frame work that houses the H.U would be the same on both pre and post, is it?

So we're saying the post facelift suuround defo fits, or is there some slight mods to be done?

Thanks,

uktotty

Yes the bling is an addon
No mods to be done just pops on there!

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"Yes the bling is an addon
No mods to be done just pops on there!

Thanks bud, will order one straight away  s:D :D s:D  

Why the two different types if they dont fit.....I'm not clever enough to cope with options  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

davidarden

Quote from: "enid_b"PITA????

Just a quick word of warning... plan a little more time than 20mins! Took me frickin hours, maybe I was just unlucky but I found it to be an absolute turd of a job!
2003 | Silver | TTE Springs | Twin H&S | No Precats | Toyo T1-R\'s | Red Calipers | De-badged | Pioneer DEH-50UB

Anonymous

Quote from: "davidarden"Just a quick word of warning... plan a little more time than 20mins! Took me frickin hours, maybe I was just unlucky but I found it to be an absolute turd of a job!

It must be a Wigan thing then.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Whats your 2 so I can keep an eye out.

Dyn-Evo

Yeh..its not difficult: despite my scepticism, it only actually took around 30-40mins.......

I have to say, my original concern was the removal / breakage of the trim, NOT the actual electrics, etc of the old / new head-units...I knew they would be a piece of pi$$.........!  s:D :D s:D  

I had fun and games with my aerial, mind you....!   s:? :? s:?  

I had the old "aerial-goes-up, doesn't retract" thing going on...bought an insert off Ebay, went to do the simple "switch-off-stereo, stick the nylon in the hole" thing....

...only to find that the frickin' thing was about 10mm too long when fully retracted...!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Anyway, I'd had enough of things by then, so rather than opting to send the insert back, try and get a correct one, etc, I opted to "simply" (yeh, right!) remove the last segment from the old Toyota one and swap the end segment from the replacement over......! The Toyota OEM item was far better quality than the replacement, and as the problem was purely with the thin bit / nylon, I figured I'm better off retaining as much OEM stuff as poss...?

To cut a long story short (I lost my mind...!?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), that worked fine.....i WOULD have preferred to receive the right insert in the first place, though..!    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Ilogik

I bought  this from ebay

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-CD-Car ... 218wt_1167 m

I never realised there was a facelift change   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I wondered why the pocket wouldn't go in lol. I ended up just turning it upside down and it fitted right away and does exactly the same job woop.

Great how to I must say. Thing that got me the most was the cigarette lighter, I spent about 10 mins trying to work out how to remove the wire, who would of thought all you had to do was pull it.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I was expecting clips like on the heater control clock.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Dyn-Evo

Quote from: "Ilogik"I bought  this from ebay

I never realised there was a facelift change   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I wondered why the pocket wouldn't go in lol. I ended up just turning it upside down and it fitted right away and does exactly the same job woop.

Interesting: this begs a question....
Do you have a pre-facelift car? And when you say you fitted it upside down, do you mean the stereo is at the bottom of the aperture with the pocket above?

Reason I ask is that I too have a pre, and i have not yet bought a surround (I have "plans" for the spare space!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

My stereo is at the top: looks like the panel you link to would suit me fine, the right way up.....? Yet the listing hints at it being for facelift models..? well, both, I suppose, if you get pedantic....?

So...whats the difference, then? If this one fits both, whats different about the other (earlier) one?

I have seen one for a Y2K car, which has the stereo sort of slap-bang in the middle, with no pocket, but if the linked one fits both, then its a matter of preference rather than a requirement...?   s:? :? s:?

Ilogik

Yes mate cars prefacelift, pocket sits at the top.

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"

Do you have a pre-facelift car? And when you say you fitted it upside down, do you mean the stereo is at the bottom of the aperture with the pocket above?

Reason I ask is that I too have a pre, and i have not yet bought a surround (I have "plans" for the spare space!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

My stereo is at the top: looks like the panel you link to would suit me fine, the right way up.....? Yet the listing hints at it being for facelift models..? well, both, I suppose, if you get pedantic....?

So...whats the difference, then? If this one fits both, whats different about the other (earlier) one?

I have seen one for a Y2K car, which has the stereo sort of slap-bang in the middle, with no pocket, but if the linked one fits both, then its a matter of preference rather than a requirement...?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I've had this (currently fitted) here.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-Spyder-Car-CD-Stereo-Surround-Fascia-Panel_W0QQitemZ270463450869QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM?hash=item3ef8e0bef5 and it isn't the best, it looks exactly the same as the post lift with a couple of extra brackets. it's listed as the spyder >01and looks alittle shabby and is only held on with two of the original brackets due to the struggle with getting it inplace. I'll be trying the next one upside down  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-Spyder-2001-Radio-CD-Stereo-Fascia-Panel_W0QQitemZ270432529658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM?hash=item3ef708ecfaThis one isn't even close to fitting, if this is the single slot refered to above don't bother.

Dyn-Evo

Ah...yes..thats the "pre" one I saw, IIRC...!
Not that good, eh..?

I must say, it doesn't LOOK right, IYSWIM...?

The other one just looks better.....  s:D :D s:D  

So what stops the "decent" one fitting with the pocket at the bottom on a pre-facelift car......?

Ilogik

How strange the Kit you posted, is exactly the same kit I got sent to me, included all the brackets ect. But mine cost £15 less. lol. I bought it thinking it would work with the standard toyota brackets that I bought, but ended up getting a complete bundle. Its not the strongest plastic, was a bit of a ball ache having to cut all the tabs off but for the cost of it does the job nciely.

Quote from: "BLUETOP"

I've had this (currently fitted) here.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-Spyder-Car-CD-Stereo-Surround-Fascia-Panel_W0QQitemZ270463450869QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM?hash=item3ef8e0bef5 and it isn't the best, it looks exactly the same as the post lift with a couple of extra brackets. it's listed as the spyder >01and looks alittle shabby and is only held on with two of the original brackets due to the struggle with getting it inplace. I'll be trying the next one upside down  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-Spyder-2001-Radio-CD-Stereo-Fascia-Panel_W0QQitemZ270432529658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM?hash=item3ef708ecfaThis one isn't even close to fitting, if this is the single slot refered to above don't bother.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ilogik"How strange the Kit you posted, is exactly the same kit I got sent to me, included all the brackets ect. But mine cost £15 less. lol. I bought it thinking it would work with the standard toyota brackets that I bought, but ended up getting a complete bundle. Its not the strongest plastic, was a bit of a ball ache having to cut all the tabs off but for the cost of it does the job nciely.

I didn't order this one, but stated I had a pre 03 car, I don't think he had a clue which one to send or even which one he sent me. I also only paid 15squid and got all those free (void of use) brackets, which only confused things as there were no instructions. It is pretty brittle and does look a little cac imo, but only if you are looking for floors, my mate didn't notice.

I wouldn't mind one of the blingy surrounds uktotty has to make it seem a little detached from the console.

Elias.

gavw71

Great how to I must say. Thing that got me the most was the cigarette lighter, I spent about 10 mins trying to work out how to remove the wire, who would of thought all you had to do was pull it.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I was expecting clips like on the heater control clock.

Ilogik, I spoke to a guy at Autoleads today, as I'm currently getting my head around the best way forward to use an ipod in the Roadster ( l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27713 l )

On all the sites where I've seen the FP-11-03 for sale, it's listed as being suitable for 02-04 cars. The guy I spoke to today told me his info stated April 2000 onwards, so should be ok for all Roadsters. So, can you tell me what stops the adaptor fitting with the coin tray at the bottom - is it the coin tray itself fouling on something?
17" Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2\'s, TTE lowering springs, front & rear strut top braces, Markiii inlet pipe, K&N panel filter, CHE header, Magnex dual exit exhaust, Dastek Unichip, re-map by Noble Motorsport.

aaronjb

That adapter (or sure as hell one that looks exactly like it - mine didn't come from ebay) fits fine the 'right way up' with the slot at the bottom on my car.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Ilogik

Not sure mate, it felt like it was way to tight and wouldn't line up to itting holes properly going the right way up. bottom holes would line up but the top ones felt like it wouldn't sit in properly. It sits fine upside down though   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Quote from: "gavw71"

Ilogik, I spoke to a guy at Autoleads today, as I'm currently getting my head around the best way forward to use an ipod in the Roadster ( l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27713 l )

On all the sites where I've seen the FP-11-03 for sale, it's listed as being suitable for 02-04 cars. The guy I spoke to today told me his info stated April 2000 onwards, so should be ok for all Roadsters. So, can you tell me what stops the adaptor fitting with the coin tray at the bottom - is it the coin tray itself fouling on something?

Anonymous

I'm sorry, i cannot find the HOW TO remove the post OEM stereo.

Can somebody provide the link?
I'vent logged on for some months and I think i forgot how to search for how to's.

Regards,
Simon.

Tags: