iphone Connection

Started by w00dhead, November 25, 2009, 16:47

w00dhead

Hi, I've a standard fit Radio/CD Unit in my 03. I'm looking to somehow get my iphone hooked up to it.... I'm not interested so much in using the phone; just looking to get music playback through it

I don't want to fork out for a parrot hands free kit (although having had a look at them they do look to be the business if you have an iphone and want to spend that kind of money) and FM transmitters are just poor

It looks like the previous owner had a multi-changer (the braket for this is still behind the passenger seat) so I was wondering if anybody thinks it would be possible to some way hook the iphone up to however this was strapped into the back of the Unit -

Any ideas....?!?!?!?!

Anonymous

Best thing to do is to bin the existing unit and start again with a designed for iPhone unit, like this one (only pimped because that's what I'm using now). It'll sound better than your stock head unit and the iPod controls are so beautifully blended in and work so very well, you'll never want to use a CD again. Okay, so not cheap, but neither is the iPhone and you don't want to make the same mistake I did which is spending lots of little monies on trying to do it the cheap way, only to realise that I should've just done this in the first place.

£170 + fitting kit + wire thingy = £200ish? Honest, that's a bargain and is money so well spent.

JudoKilli

Depends on how much you want to spend.

You could get a proper cheap FM transmitter like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Kit-Radio-FM-Transmitter-Charger-For-iPod-iphone_W0QQitemZ200410158530QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVideoElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3PlayerCarKits?hash=item2ea96055c2#ht_1882wt_1165

Obviously, these get more expensive the more features they have and the brand, like the ones here http://www.iworld.co.uk/c/iPod_FM_Transmitters.htm?gclid=CISZvqrYpp4CFYmY2AodsUiblA

You could get a new head unit like the one above, but I've seen one where you can actually slide the iPhone inside the unit, and it will play straight off of it. Can't remember where I saw it or what make, but was very expensive.

I used to use an FM transmitter a lot, and the only real downside was that you had to change the music etc on the iPhone itself.

Anonymous

Thats a good price for the alpine, ebay is dearer.

I have a fairly cheap ebay unit that allows me to play the i pod touch through it via an aux to aux cable, but again you need to use the i pod for controlling.
Tbh if i was changing hu now i would go for something like the alpine.

enid_b

i agree with dan.

i tried a connects2 system which was pants. then i went on to fm transmitter which was a lot better (still use one in the works car) belkin is the brand.

then i took the plunge and bought an alpine head unit.  quality of sound was massive, and also the fully integral controls make it much safer and easier to use on the move
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Having heard what the music is supposed to sound like, and not being a particular hi-fi buff, even I wouldn't put up with the shoddy sound that an FM transmitter gives off. They're only just better than the cassette-type solutions, and nowhere near as crisp as even regular radio.

enid_b

lols at cassette attachment thingies.

would anyone own up to actually having purchased one of those abominations
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

JudoKilli

Quote from: "enid_b"lols at cassette attachment thingies.

would anyone own up to actually having purchased one of those abominations

Yup, and it worked surprisingly well...but this was a few years ago.

enid_b

your only saving grace there was the "it was a few years ago"

Thudd

FM transmitters are crap in the '2. I got a whine which matched my engine rpm when I tried one. Worked fine in other vehicles.

I went for an IO Connect. Don't bother. Get a decent HU instead.

Dyn-Evo

I recently bought a pair of Sony BT3600 H/U's...one for me, one for the missus' Mini...!

This is the 2009/10 version, almost identical:
 m http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_prod ... MEXBT4700U m

Plug'n'play.....as its a Sony, same connector to the wiring loom...   s8) 8) s8)  

Bluetooth, hands-free, front USB, A2DP stereo music streaming, etc,etc......

Recommend it, basically....  s:D :D s:D
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

ekimq

I haven't actually got one, but it's item 1 on my Christmas list. I'm off to my local car audio store next week to see if I can actually play with one.. I'll let you know if I have any joy.
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

DannyN

Quote from: "Dan M"Best thing to do is to bin the existing unit and start again with a designed for iPhone unit, like this one (only pimped because that's what I'm using now). It'll sound better than your stock head unit and the iPod controls are so beautifully blended in and work so very well, you'll never want to use a CD again. Okay, so not cheap, but neither is the iPhone and you don't want to make the same mistake I did which is spending lots of little monies on trying to do it the cheap way, only to realise that I should've just done this in the first place.

£170 + fitting kit + wire thingy = £200ish? Honest, that's a bargain and is money so well spent.

Any idea if they do a double din equivalent mate ??
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

Et viola, the IXA-W404R!

Not sure if it charges the iPhone 3G/S, but I suspect it does as it's the same generation as my one (which has now been superceded by the 313).

DannyN

ooo, nice and with reversing camera too

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

The only thing that would put me off is the use of a touch screen: If it's not as good as an Apple one (i.e. more like a shitty Motorola one), then it could prove more infuriating than anything else. Looks a bit tasty other than that, I might even be tempted to upgrade...

markiii

indeed I like that  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

DannyN

Microphone for calls ??

[/size]

Bernie

Depends on how much you want to spend

I got a Kenwood double din from Halfrauds - Kenwood DPX503U - MP3/WMA/AAC CD/USB for £300 plus fitting kit

IPhone plugs in via USB socket and sounds great, you can get a Bluetooth adaptor unit that will run the phone through the head unit but its another £150

I just wanted the music connection and double din to fill the hole left by the Sony original unit.
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

JudoKilli

Planning on buying that head unit in the near future, just need to look into fitting and everything (Anyone have any advise/guide/need to know stuff on fitting a double DIN?).

Quote from: "Dan M"The only thing that would put me off is the use of a touch screen: If it's not as good as an Apple one (i.e. more like a shitty Motorola one), then it could prove more infuriating than anything else. Looks a bit tasty other than that, I might even be tempted to upgrade...

Watched a review of the HU on YouTube and the guy said the touchscreen was very responsive, and in any case you can use the buttons on the bottom of the screen to do the same thing, which is probably better when you're driving and have to rely on feel.

sonixtorm

Quote from: "JudoKilli"(Anyone have any advise/guide/need to know stuff on fitting a double DIN?).

The issue is that the stock unit is larger than double-DIN. On post-03 cars, you can reuse the bracket/trim included with the stock head unit and add some commonly available spacers (got mine via eBay) to make it all look tidy. I think the stock unit in earlier cars (the Sony) does not come with the aforementioned bracket/trim, and therefore the procedure for earlier cars is to buy the bracket/trim from Toyota, plus some spacers.

muffdan

Fitting in a pre-facelift is a doddle. No extra brackets required and you reuse the surrounding trim from the stock sony. All you need is the ISO cables to match the new stereo to the car's loom.

I have the Alpine iXA-407BT unit. It charges the iPhone and plays music and video over the supplied USB cable. It will also play music over bluetooth. It comes with a mic and the hands free works well with the iPhone. I expect the iXA-404R will be the same and charge the phone too.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Tags: