Do I need Crossovers.

Started by Anonymous, December 8, 2009, 02:08

Anonymous

I have searched to no prevail, but do i really need to fit xovers when installing new tweeters and mid woofers?

They stock system I presume (having not directley looked at them, untill tomorrow) is allready split into the correct frequencies as there are allready mid and tweet installed, do I have to add the xover if so why and what difference will it make. Or can I snip nthe std cables and just replace the speakers?

For ref, HU = sony mex bt 5000 rms 52w.

Sorry for grammar it's been a "longun""

Elias

Anonymous

Sorry!.....to add to that, my limited understanding (V.limited) the xover takes one output and and directs the frequencies to the correct speakers. Is that even remotely close?

loadswine

The roadster has a very crude crossover mechanism of a resistor, i believe. Any half decent component set should come with its own crossover arrangement. Doddle to wire up with that. Don't bother trying to replicate the stock arrangement.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Cheers for the advice, will keep the crossovers. Just need a day with no rain so I can install them.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Decapotable

In case its of any interest:

As is pretty well known the tweeters/high-frequency drivers (units) are there to reproduce the upper registers and the woofers/bass units/low frequency drivers the lower registers. They are both limited in what they can usefully reproduce but they are not designed to be fed with the full range of frequencies. Feeding the whole frequency range to both units does not make for a good sound for two reasons;
1. driving the units otside their intended operating range can cause distortion and will saturate the coils earlier limiting dynamic range (particularly the HF units)
2. the natural roll-off of the units will not compliment each other leading to a hump in the overall frequency response

Crossovers consist of two filter circuits. One is a high-pass filter to feed the HF driver. The other is a low-pass filter to feed the LF unit. Not suprisingly these are essentially designed to be complimentary so that the LF unit rolls off at the point that the HF unit takes over. Really good crosovers include a zobel network circuit which flattens the impedance/frequency curve of the driver. Suffice to say that I have never yet seen a car audio crossover with a zobel component included. The filters operates at 6dB per octave, 12 dB per octave or 18dB per octave. Generally I think dedicated in-car units such as the ones you get with a decent component speaker set-up have a 12dB slope using both a capacitor and inductor (6dB each). They also introduce phase distortions of their own - though the efects are complex and debateable. Steeper slopes are better for avoiding the issues with the drivers but harder to make perfectly tuned and consistent and create greater problems of their own. Resistors, where they are used, will reduce the signal to one or other driver to make it quieter should it be too efficient compared with the other driver. Given the low voltages available in a car you do not want to see resistors between the amplifier and the driver. You want to see drivers sold together chosen for their similar efficiency.

The factory fit units in the MR2 do not have crossovers. They largely rely on the natural roll-off of the drivers. In fact the output from the HF units is not balanced with the LF units. The sound level they deliver is very low in my limited experience. I would say they were there for cosmetic reasons rather than anything to do with sound. I think the lack of crossovers and the quietness of the output is not coincidental. If the HF drivers (the tweeters) have no useful output then the lack of decent filtering is irrelevant.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Decapotable"In case its of any interest:

As is pretty well known the tweeters/high-frequency drivers (units) are there to reproduce the upper registers and the woofers/bass units/low frequency drivers the lower registers. They are both limited in what they can usefully reproduce but they are not designed to be fed with the full range of frequencies. Feeding the whole frequency range to both units does not make for a good sound for two reasons;
1. driving the units otside their intended operating range can cause distortion and will saturate the coils earlier limiting dynamic range (particularly the HF units)
2. the natural roll-off of the units will not compliment each other leading to a hump in the overall frequency response

Crossovers consist of two filter circuits. One is a high-pass filter to feed the HF driver. The other is a low-pass filter to feed the LF unit. Not suprisingly these are essentially designed to be complimentary so that the LF unit rolls off at the point that the HF unit takes over. Really good crosovers include a zobel network circuit which flattens the impedance/frequency curve of the driver. Suffice to say that I have never yet seen a car audio crossover with a zobel component included. The filters operates at 6dB per octave, 12 dB per octave or 18dB per octave. Generally I think dedicated in-car units such as the ones you get with a decent component speaker set-up have a 12dB slope using both a capacitor and inductor (6dB each). They also introduce phase distortions of their own - though the efects are complex and debateable. Steeper slopes are better for avoiding the issues with the drivers but harder to make perfectly tuned and consistent and create greater problems of their own. Resistors, where they are used, will reduce the signal to one or other driver to make it quieter should it be too efficient compared with the other driver. Given the low voltages available in a car you do not want to see resistors between the amplifier and the driver. You want to see drivers sold together chosen for their similar efficiency.

The factory fit units in the MR2 do not have crossovers. They largely rely on the natural roll-off of the drivers. In fact the output from the HF units is not balanced with the LF units. The sound level they deliver is very low in my limited experience. I would say they were there for cosmetic reasons rather than anything to do with sound. I think the lack of crossovers and the quietness of the output is not coincidental. If the HF drivers (the tweeters) have no useful output then the lack of decent filtering is irrelevant.

I'll take this as a pro xovers   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Mine are in along with the alpine active sub and the sony hu, sounds freakin fantastic  s:D :D s:D   Will postsome pics shortly.

Tags: