Unichip questions A/B maps.

Started by stargazer30, February 27, 2010, 22:59

stargazer30

Hey guys,

Just bought one of the American pre mapped unichips off a fellow member on here.  I have no manual.  Can anyone tell me...

Are both maps designed for a stock 2 or is map B meant for stage 1 mods like exhaust/intake?
Are both maps mapped for 97ron fuel or will normal 95 work?
The loom has 2 switches on it, ones to swap the maps, whats the other one for?
For the guys who have installed them, where did you put the switches so you could get easy access to them but they didn't rattle around?

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

roger

Search is a great tool! http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6262&hilit=unichip+usa+maps

They are mapped for standard US fuel, whatever that is.

The other switch is on/off

Keep them behind the plastic thingy. In reality you won't be switching at all often, if at all.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

mrzwei

I run the A map because the install instructions said the B map was more likely to throw a CEL (I think, would need to search the loft to find them!).
I just left the switch behind the passenger seat, thinking I would use it a lot but in fact, as Roger hinted, never have.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

stargazer30

cheers guys,

The plan is to install the loom to the side of the rear passenger bin and put the chip itself mounted inside on the bin wall so I can get access to it later if I need to re-map it (so far my cars standard)

I'll try it with reg fuel and then super and see if it works better with the super.  The 2nd switch cuts power to the ECU, great does that mean I can reset the ECU without disconnecting the battery   s:P :P s:P
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

roger

Not as far as I am aware, all that does is stops the unichip over-riding the ECU. You will still have to undo battery to cut all power to ECU.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

stargazer30

Quote from: "roger"Not as far as I am aware, all that does is stops the unichip over-riding the ECU. You will still have to undo battery to cut all power to ECU.

Just been searching on this and theres a thread where a member called GSB post up the opposite.  He recons it cuts power to the stock ECU, but only when the ignition is off.  So it can be used to reset CELs and the ECU.  However if its off when you turn the car on the ECU still gets power so it will start/run.

muffdan

That's interesting. You could essentially leave that turned off all the time so that the stock ECU is always hard reset between drives. This will help stop the long term fuel trims trying to undo what the Unichip is doing. This was always an issue with mine (I never had any switches).
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

ChrisGB

Quote from: "muffdan"That's interesting. You could essentially leave that turned off all the time so that the stock ECU is always hard reset between drives. This will help stop the long term fuel trims trying to undo what the Unichip is doing. This was always an issue with mine (I never had any switches).

If the ECU is trying to undo the Unichip trims it means that the mapping has been applying alterations to fuelling in the ECU closed loop areas. This was the problem with the map I had done. With mine the mapping was leaned out in the part throttle and cruise areas. The ECU was trying to restore the mixture by picking a richer fuelling trim. Net result was rich running after a short drive.

The guy who will be doing the mapping this time reckons that for boosted applications the Unichip can be used to lock out closed loop operations where needed, so that may be a solution.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

stargazer30

From what I've read and seen on the unichip MD's video interview, the unichip doesn't make changes to closed loop settings.  As he puts it there's no point as at part throttle you're not after performance its more about saving fuel.  The unchip can make changes to it but only were there are specific issues that need to be fixed on a customers car (worn injector springs was the example he used)

So for the standard US maps my guess is the unchip is only working when the ECU swtiches to open loop under heavy throttle or WOT.

Oh the same video he says the switch is for resetting the stock ECU for codes so that's that one put to bed.

stargazer30

Oh heres the link to the page with the vids on if anyones interested.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/printthread.php?t=41679

ChrisGB

Quote from: "stargazer30"From what I've read and seen on the unichip MD's video interview, the unichip doesn't make changes to closed loop settings.  As he puts it there's no point as at part throttle you're not after performance its more about saving fuel.  The unchip can make changes to it but only were there are specific issues that need to be fixed on a customers car (worn injector springs was the example he used)

So for the standard US maps my guess is the unchip is only working when the ECU swtiches to open loop under heavy throttle or WOT.

Oh the same video he says the switch is for resetting the stock ECU for codes so that's that one put to bed.

Unichip USA do pre programmed maps, so all being well, should never interfere with the closed loop areas. Unfortunately, the Unichip Q is custom mapped in the UK and the mapper I used got it wrong.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

muffdan

mine have been custom mapped too.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Mad Matt

I think it's been answered but just in case:

The second switch clears any error codes and long term fuel trims. I've used it to clear a CEL, so that works. You flick it on/off with the power off. The manual says it prevents the car from learning if you leave it in the wrong position, but I haven't tried that.

Anonymous

Greeting from Virginia, USA
The map a is set up for stock use with regular 87 octane, map b is for mods such as header, intake, exhaust and required higher octane ~93.

stargazer30

Quote from: "lawrencecar1"Greeting from Virginia, USA
The map a is set up for stock use with regular 87 octane, map b is for mods such as header, intake, exhaust and required higher octane ~93.

That might explain why map B feels dead on my stock MR2   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    The fuel you guys have must be pretty poor though, in the UK our cheap stuff is 95ron and super is 97-99ron.  Of course in the UK we get robbed blind for our fuel at £1.20 a litre!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "stargazer30"
Quote from: "lawrencecar1"Greeting from Virginia, USA

That might explain why map B feels dead on my stock MR2   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    The fuel you guys have must be pretty poor though, in the UK our cheap stuff is 95ron and super is 97-99ron.  Of course in the UK we get robbed blind for our fuel at £1.20 a litre!!!

Not sure how that translates but currently are cheap 87 octane is about $2.60 per gallon and the 93 octane is about $2.95 per gallon.

Anonymous

Quote from: "lawrencecar1"Not sure how that translates but currently are cheap 87 octane is about $2.60 per gallon and the 93 octane is about $2.95 per gallon.
That's a US gallon which is smaller than a UK one (1 US gallon = 0.83267384 Imperial gallons)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   but it's still very very cheap.

Rob.

ChrisGB

Different octane rating system. US 87 is about the same as our 95. Fuel here is about $8.51 / gal.

Chris

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Different octane rating system. US 87 is about the same as our 95. Fuel here is about $8.51 / gal.

Chris
Is that UK or US gal  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ChrisGB

Quote from: "FGRob"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"Different octane rating system. US 87 is about the same as our 95. Fuel here is about $8.51 / gal.

Chris
Is that UK or US gal  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

UK. Around $7.09 for a US gallon then. Still bleedin' grim.

Chris

stargazer30

Chris

Good to hear that for sec I was thinking the timing was optimised for crap fuel lol!

David

Anonymous

Chris

Good to hear that for sec I was thinking the timing was optimised for crap fuel lol!

David

I dont know how you guys can afford that gas..  OMG... You must all be rich... : )

ChrisGB

Quote from: "lawrencecar1"

Chris

David

I dont know how you guys can afford that gas..  OMG... You must all be rich... : )

You would think so wouldn't you? Tax makes up nearly all of that price and for many who travel a lot (like I do), fuel costs are a very significant proportion of earnings. I think that with the business and pleasure travel combined I pay around $11500 in gas a year, of which around $9500 is tax and I am by no means a high earner.

Chris

stargazer30

Off topic I know but thats one of the reasons when I had to give my focus ST back I didn't buy it off the company.  I was going through £250 to £300 a month fuel in it (I had a fuel card thank goodness)

Tags: