Electric soft-top.....?

Started by Anonymous, March 4, 2010, 15:55

Anonymous

It really is quite random how some tops are better than others, which seems weird considering they're physically identical. Anyone know if other manual topped cars have the same variances between cars?

Slacey

The '2 has a cracking hood, certainly one of the best. The Griff is a royal PITA at the best of times, and bear in mind it can't be done without getting out of the car (and all of the contents out of the boot!). I think probably the best quick manual roof I've seen is on an old Alfa Spider (late 60's) - Wheeler Dealers program did one up and it was effortless and tidy to say the least.
Count yourselves lucky next time it rains on a nice summers day while I'm getting soaked  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

I have one thing to say

VXR torrential rain, M25 2009

oh how I wished for the convenience of a ropadster roof  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

lemans

Quote from: "Les"I don't usually lift and lock mine in one action I always lift and lower a couple of times to let it seat better, it never has to be summer before it comes down   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Having said that, a couple of weeks ago I didn't bother with my usual technique and began to get a bit of wind noise that wasn't there before, it bugged me till I found the problem

The hood didn't settle behind the seal.

How it should look.

So if you get a noise that shouldn't be there, check that it has seated behind the seal   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Les

Mine does exactly the same on the passenger side, but not very often.  Has only happened about 3 times in 2 years.
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

mrzwei

Because of the 'shattred screen' posts on here ,I always take it very easy, making sure to push down the rear screen gently before finally closing the hood. (I've got better things to spend 3 grand on).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

nathanMR2

I too would be interested to know why the 2 hardtop varies in easy of putting up and down. I watched 5th gear review again on the mk3 the other day. The guy was sitting in the drivers seat and unlatched and gave it alittle push and the roof popped back, which just latched in place.

Mine roof on the other hand is alot stiffer. I can put it up and latch it in seconds when sitting in the drivers seat. Putting it down i have to push the window into place and fold the ears in before latching it down.

Warrented the review was done on a nice hot summer day which helps. But ive seem some other guys roofs drop down with ease.

Did the roofs change on the facelift at all?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Two's Company

Frankly anyone with a Mini soft top or a Tigra isn't a car enthusiast and I wouldn't waste my time explaining why your car is better.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Especially as the Mini with the roof down looks like a silvercross pram.  Truly Hideous.

creamykiwi

mweeeeee, had my hood down on the way back from shopping today, that's the second time this week, it's brilliant! and only took a few seconds up & down, i'm definitely a fan of the manual roof!

Jigwar

Quote from: "markiii"oh how I wished for the convenience of a ropadster roof  :-) :-) :-)

We all wish you did......

s:) :) s:)
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twos Company"Frankly anyone with a Mini soft top or a Tigra isn't a car enthusiast and I wouldn't waste my time explaining why your car is better.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Especially as the Mini with the roof down looks like a silvercross pram.  Truly Hideous.

Well, that's exactly what I thought. There was literally no getting through to them. I like the 'silvercross pram' likening though, may have to resurect this argument just to use that!

Anonymous

If the driver is a 5ft tall young woman, i bet she can't lift and latch the soft top back on while sitting in the driver's seat. I occasionally get spasms in my left arm while latching the top back on.

Opening it on the other hand, well, you never know if it's going to sit and latch fully in one motion. If funny when it doesn't and you have to lift it back up and again to throw it back. Yah, when my friend showed me his S2K could open in like 6 seconds, i told him mine could open and close twice in that time.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

creamykiwi

Quote from: "S2077S"If the driver is a 5ft tall young woman, i bet she can't lift and latch the soft top back on while sitting in the driver's seat. I occasionally get spasms in my left arm while latching the top back on.

Winter hasn't yet given me an opportunity to try this, but when the weather's better I'll give it a go - I'm 5ft 4 and a quarter (and yes, the quarter makes ALL the difference!!) so I suspect I'll be getting out of my car to bring the hood back up  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

1/4 inch taller, i can twist round and raise the top from inside the car, just experiment and you will find a way.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mrzwei

I'm not qute sure why you need to raise or lower the top from inside the car, other than to make a point, but I have noticed in a couple of car parks that some observers thing it will take you a long time, and it's all over in the blink of an eye (or did my wife say that   s:D :D s:D  ).
The really good design point in the 2 is that the hood folds down with the top the right way up. In the MGF /TF for example, the inside faces out and you really need the hood cover to complete the job.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

cclarke99

Apart from the "caught in rain at traffic lights" scenario, I don't see much point in operating the roof form inside the car. Theres something satisfying about the ritual of folding it down before you set off in the sunshine.

markiii

Quote from: "nathanMR2"I too would be interested to know why the 2 hardtop varies in easy of putting up and down. I watched 5th gear review again on the mk3 the other day. The guy was sitting in the drivers seat and unlatched and gave it alittle push and the roof popped back, which just latched in place.

Mine roof on the other hand is alot stiffer. I can put it up and latch it in seconds when sitting in the drivers seat. Putting it down i have to push the window into place and fold the ears in before latching it down.

Warrented the review was done on a nice hot summer day which helps. But ive seem some other guys roofs drop down with ease.

Did the roofs change on the facelift at all?

it depends on how stiff teh roof is (usually dependant on how much you use it)

and of course teh weather, mine would drop easily in teh sunshine but not winter
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

Quote from: "nathanMR2"I too would be interested to know why the 2 hardtop varies in easy of putting up and down.

Nathan!
I think I have found your issue mate, you are trying to fold the hardtop, it's made of fibreglass mate and not very bendy!

roger

Ours has complicated mechanics to show the top, and since it is a rather stiff vinyl (especially in cold) rather than a flimsy canvas, I reckon any attempt to electrify the standard one will result in burnt out motors and/or smashed glass.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

creamykiwi

Quote from: "cclarke99"Theres something satisfying about the ritual of folding it down before you set off in the sunshine.

Sunshine? What sunshine?!!  s:P :P s:P  But I agree  s:) :) s:)

cclarke99

Well there you are, we only had to mention sunshine and we had two out of three days (and one of them was on a weekend!)

DannyN

Quote from: "S2077S"If the driver is a 5ft tall young woman, i bet she can't lift and latch the soft top back on while sitting in the driver's seat. I occasionally get spasms in my left arm while latching the top back on.

I use my right hand to lift the roof
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

swyper

Quote from: "Les"I don't usually lift and lock mine in one action I always lift and lower a couple of times to let it seat better, it never has to be summer before it comes down   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Having said that, a couple of weeks ago I didn't bother with my usual technique and began to get a bit of wind noise that wasn't there before, it bugged me till I found the problem

The hood didn't settle behind the seal.

How it should look.

So if you get a noise that shouldn't be there, check that it has seated behind the seal   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

How did you fix this problem...its a bit like the trouble i'm having after fitting a new roof...?

Tags: