Can You Remove Power Steering

Started by shanklylfc, March 22, 2010, 00:22

shanklylfc

This is probably a stupid noob question but is it possible or advisable to remove the power steering from the car? I ask because in my mk1 with no power steering, you really feel everything through the wheel, the slightest movement of the back stepping out and you feel it and can correct it. This is my first car with PS, and I just don't have the same confidence in the corners as with the mk1,or do you think its something I'll get used to.

tigracat

Well anything is possible, but sounds a bit extreme to remove the power steering on an already great handling car, maybe there are other issues that need investigating before going to such extremes, tyres, suspension, ect ect

Mike
02 mr2 in silver with ht, mags, quad exhaust, pioneer cd, dvd double din player, debadged and de pre catted, custom arm rest, Style bar, dev keyhole covers, K&N cone air filter.
Suzuki Bandit 1200 totally mirror polished show bike.
09 Mini cooper s.
2011 Mazda Miyako 2l

Mike68

As Mike has said, worth checking the set up of the car, there are loads of mods that can stiffen the chasis too. As for power steering, I would think it could be removed but also this is something you'll get used to and also the roadster is not a mk1 and will feel different anyway.
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

shanklylfc

It does handle well, Its just in the mk1 you can feel through the wheel when its just on the limit and when to back off. the roadster feels like it could just go, (step out and spin) without warning, but like I said its my first experience of power steering and so maybe just a case of getting used to it . the thought arose though, because the PS light comes on if I just put the key in the ignition and start up, and I have no power steering , but If i turn the key until the dash light are on and wait for the PS light to go off before cranking the engine then the PS is ok. so I thought if its on its way out anyway do I really need to replace it, or remove altogether.

Goeman

You don't really have to remove the power steering. You just drain the power steering fluid out of the rack. That's what they do in the Max5 (MX5) racing series because none power racks are hard to find.

I wouldn't recommend doing that though. None power steering generally have quicker racks on them so it could be harder work steering than on a MK1 and it's an unknown and may feel horrible. I doubt that many people have done it.

Like others have said, try different avenues first like chassis braces or maybe something as simple as tyre choice.
Russell

markiii

i agree the mk1 rack has more feel, i measured up but the mk1 rack won't fit the mk3

you can bypass the power steering pump so it runs as a manual rack but the jury is out as to the long term safety implications
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Mike68

The only problem I can think of without going into the mechanics and possible damage it may cause as I don't know, is the insurance company would jump on this if you ever needed to claim. Your chance of recovering your loss would probably be 0% as the car has not been maintained properly.
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

shanklylfc

Thanks for the reply's so far guys. Would draining the fluid feel the same as the pump failing to start problem I have? if so then its like a tank and you need arms like Popeye to turn into a bend. what are the long term safety implications markiii, I'm a total newb at these sort if things. you may be right on the set up thing, Ive got mismatched tyres on the car (front to back) when I bought it last month, but haven't changed them yet because I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to put new alloys on it yet.
edit
mike68 could you not declare this to insurance or think its just a no no..

Goeman

Quote from: "shanklylfc"Would draining the fluid feel the same as the pump failing to start problem I have?
No. If the pump fails you have the resistance of the hydrolic fluid working against you making it very very difficult to steer.
Russell

Mike68

Quote from: "shanklylfc"Thanks for the reply's so far guys. Would draining the fluid feel the same as the pump failing to start problem I have? if so then its like a tank and you need arms like Popeye to turn into a bend. what are the long term safety implications markiii, I'm a total newb at these sort if things. you may be right on the set up thing, Ive got mismatched tyres on the car (front to back) when I bought it last month, but haven't changed them yet because I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to put new alloys on it yet.
edit
mike68 could you not declare this to insurance or think its just a no no..

I would talk to them before you do anything and go by what they say, I would guess that they would not be happy with the new set up proposal.
Ex Silver MR-S

normanh

Instant MOT failure? The same as a leaky hydraulic cylinder.

norman

Mike68

Not sure about that one as it's not actually leaking, if they check the levels then maybe a mot failure.
Ex Silver MR-S

Goeman

Is it not like the spare wheel? Fail if it's bald put not a problem if it's not there. If you removed the pump and the lines, drained the fluid and plugged up the holes in the rack then it can't really be called broken can it?

Still wouldn't recommend doing this by the way.
Russell

Tem

Don't drain the fluid, it also acts as a lubricant.

Here's my take at removing the power steering.

Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Tem"Don't drain the fluid, it also acts as a lubricant.

Here's my take at removing the power steering.

Do you get decent rewards in steering feel doing this? I have always preferred non assisted racks for optimum feel.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

shanklylfc

What have you done there Tem? it looks like you've connected the in and outlet of the pump, through some sort of mini air filter to circulate the fluid, and like chrisGB said, do you get that extra feeling through the wheel that i am looking for? I would be very interested to know. think I'm going to drain the fluid in the next week or 2 before a trip to mr Ts to see how it feels, think I need a tiny bit of fluid to top-up anyway , and if I'm getting it I might as well try. better pop into an MOT centre and ask for some advise too.

Tem

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Do you get decent rewards in steering feel doing this? I have always preferred non assisted racks for optimum feel.

That was my reason for doing it as well. The PS pump was still fine, so didn't remove it for breaking or anything.

Yes, I do like the steering better like this. It's heavier, just like you'd imagine, but I like it that way. It does give me a better feel than the PS ever did. I always thought it was too light and too "assisted". While it's great when parking, it really sucks when driving.  s:? :? s:?

Some have gone even further, dismantled the steering rack and removed some parts from within. Apparently that gives you even lighter steering feel.

Tem

Quote from: "shanklylfc"What have you done there Tem? it looks like you've connected the in and outlet of the pump, through some sort of mini air filter to circulate the fluid

Pretty much so. The steering rack needs the fluid, cause it's a lubricant as well. But you cannot block the fluid movement, cause that would create extra resistance. When you turn the wheel, you are moving the fluid and if you block the fluid movement, you need extra power (from your muscles) to turn the rack, which probably isn't what you want. The fluid actually runs from one side to the other when you turn the wheel, it flows more than I thought.

QuoteI'm going to drain the fluid in the next week or 2 before a trip to mr Ts to see how it feels

If you do that, make sure the pump won't run, or it'll kill itself without fluid.  s8) 8) s8)

Tem

One more thing about the steering feel. It felt too stiff with S03's, which are known for their hard sidewalls. And it felt very loose with some grocery better tyres with flexy sidewalls. With Hankook Z212 it feels just right. So the tyres also affect this a lot. Never noticed that big difference in steering wheel with different tyres when the PS was still on.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Tem"One more thing about the steering feel. It felt too stiff with S03's, which are known for their hard sidewalls. And it felt very loose with some grocery better tyres with flexy sidewalls. With Hankook Z212 it feels just right. So the tyres also affect this a lot. Never noticed that big difference in steering wheel with different tyres when the PS was still on.

How are you liking the Hankooks? Just got rid of a set of them and have gone Toyo R888. Very stiff sidewalls and very sticky compound may not feel great without assisted steering.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tem

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "Tem"Hankook Z212

How are you liking the Hankooks?

They are ok, not great, not bad. Pretty good for the price and enough for my everyday driving.  s8) 8) s8)

QuoteJust got rid of a set of them and have gone Toyo R888. Very stiff sidewalls and very sticky compound may not feel great without assisted steering.

I have a set of R888's on stock wheels for trackdays as well, I got the medium compound though.

ChrisGB

Yeah, I run the GG medium too. Works well on road as long as it is not too wet. How are they with the unassisted steering?
Chris

Tem

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Yeah, I run the GG medium too. Works well on road as long as it is not too wet. How are they with the unassisted steering?

I also thought about running them on streets, maybe I will do that too. But sometimes it does get rainy over here, so can't really have them as my only tyres. I also need to drive triple digit miles to tracks and back, so wouldn't want to wear out the softer compound getting to the tracks.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Don't know yet, I just got them and haven't driven on them yet. I'll let you know in a month or two.

shanklylfc

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "shanklylfc"What have you done there Tem? it looks like you've connected the in and outlet of the pump, through some sort of mini air filter to circulate the fluid

Pretty much so. The steering rack needs the fluid, cause it's a lubricant as well. But you cannot block the fluid movement, cause that would create extra resistance. When you turn the wheel, you are moving the fluid and if you block the fluid movement, you need extra power (from your muscles) to turn the rack, which probably isn't what you want. The fluid actually runs from one side to the other when you turn the wheel, it flows more than I thought.

QuoteI'm going to drain the fluid in the next week or 2 before a trip to mr Ts to see how it feels

If you do that, make sure the pump won't run, or it'll kill itself without fluid.  s8) 8) s8)

Thanks for all the advice Tem especially about disconnecting the pump before draining, I wouldn't have thought about that and killed it off  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

2 of the left

Drove a Mk2 for 17 years no PAS - was good for feeling the road but the backend spun out once on a roundabout (oil slick on road) A43 approaching M40 and yeh "arms like Popeye" - Stick with PAS you will get used to it!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Tags: