Stock wheels - refinished Anthracite

Started by Slacey, March 6, 2004, 18:23

Slacey

Quote from: "markiii"so does it feel faster now your back on 15"
I'm afraid to admit that it does... it turns in sharper, accelerates quicker and in generally nicer to drive.
I will keep the 17's as I love the look, and hopefully KN (who are in Telford, John) can machine them so I can run them with the car lowered, in which case I will swop and change as I feel like it.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Sundance"Very nice   s8) 8) s8)   - anthracite looks great with the black paintwork on your car...    s:D :D s:D   Not sure how good it would look with other colours though...   s:? :? s:?  

<edit>Though thinking about it an anthracite finish on the alloys might look good on silver cars I guess</edit>

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)
Thats what I was wondering. Would that colour look better on a silver car  s:?: :?: s:?:  Anyway they look really good Sean; as you say just need to get it lowered  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

MRMike

Quote from: "heathstimpson"<edit>Though thinking about it an anthracite finish on the alloys might look good on silver cars I guess</edit>

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)
Thats what I was wondering. Would that colour look better on a silver car  s:?: :?: s:?:  Anyway they look really good Sean; as you say just need to get it lowered  s8) 8) s8) [/quote]

I'm contemplating chrome surfacing on mine...this is only because when someone makes a tasteful mod like Sean has..to better it you just have to do something more extreme and ultimately bling...

Thanks Sean..thanks a lot  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Would chrome be too much????             I already know the answer don't i?...i'll get my coat..
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "sundance"<edit>Though thinking about it an anthracite finish on the alloys might look good on silver cars I guess</edit>

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)
Thats what I was wondering. Would that colour look better on a silver car  s:?: :?: s:?:  Anyway they look really good Sean; as you say just need to get it lowered  s8) 8) s8)

I'm contemplating chrome surfacing on mine...this is only because when someone makes a tasteful mod like Sean has..to better it you just have to do something more extreme and ultimately bling...

Thanks Sean..thanks a lot  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Would chrome be too much????             I already know the answer don't i?...i'll get my coat..
I would like to see Chrome alloys on a silver car. You can't tell really unless you actually see them in the flesh mate. Might be ok  s:?: :?: s:?:
<<edited x3 to correct mucked up quotes>>

markiii

polished would be better, same effect, less cost,less weight
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Quote from: "markiii"polished would be better, same effect, less cost,less weight
And we should have an example of this in a week or two.....

Anonymous

IMHO, I think if you're going to do anything out-of-the-ordinary to the stock wheels (anthracite, chrome-finish whatever) you really *have to* get the lowering springs to finish it off; otherwise it looks like a half-finished job.

Sean's car does look lovely though, I do have to say...   s:D :D s:D  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Slacey

Quote from: "Sundance"Sean's car does look lovely though, I do have to say...   s:D :D s:D  
Thanks Ash, and now the car has been driven, it looks loads better... there was some discussion a while back as to the Euro spec cars having lower / firmer suspension than the UK cars, looking at it tonight I can well believe it, it almost looks like it doesn't need lowering now  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Hey, mine's a Euro import jobbie (Dutch)...!  I must remember to act all smug next time and shout "4x4!"  the next time I see a UK-spec one...!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

DAZ400

Look very nice Sean and suit colour of the car a treat .......... Good Job   s:D :D s:D
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "markiii"polished would be better, same effect, less cost,less weight
And we should have an example of this in a week or two.....
Who's polishing their alloys then  s:?: :?: s:?:

MRMike

I'm thinking about it..although the problem is, unlike Sean I don't have a spare set of alloys to run round on until they're done...actually I should have had them done this week while my car is being fixed.. doh!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"I'm thinking about it..although the problem is unlike Sean I don't have a spare set of alloys to run round on until they're done...actually I should have had them done this week while my car is being fixed.. doh!
I look forward to the pictures.

Slacey

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Who's polishing their alloys then  s:?: :?: s:?:
Someone who is close enough to me to borrow my 17's.....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mph

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"I'm thinking about it..although the problem is, unlike Sean I don't have a spare set of alloys to run round on until they're done...actually I should have had them done this week while my car is being fixed.. doh!
hee hee.. whereas I do.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  My spare set is currently at BAT HQ (Stafford, not too far away) though not covered in road legal tyres. If you're that desperate I'm sure we can make suitable arrangement or other  s:) :) s:)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

markiii

for those wondering what the stock wheels are like polished.

Here's teh stock 16"s polished as I brought them back from the US

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

when i saw them they didnt look too in your face at all, but you could notice there was something different about them... i think they would look good like that.

heathstimpson

How's the finish stand up to our corrosive roads  s:?: :?: s:?:  And has anyone had a quote yet to have them polished  s:?: :?: s:?:

Slacey

Quote from: "heathstimpson"And has anyone had a quote yet to have them polished  s:?: :?: s:?:
Someone has... £35 per wheel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"And has anyone had a quote yet to have them polished  s:?: :?: s:?:
Someone has... £35 per wheel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
KN Wheels by any chance  s:?: :?: s:?:

Slacey

No, another firm fairly local to Telford though.

MRMike

ello ello..wow they are hot stuff..where is the place Sean? Thanks for the offer by the way. Something like this would be really nice for JAE.  Does anyone know if removing the top finish of the original alloy means the wheel is more prone to blistering etc in the future?

I want these bad but i'm tempted to wait for mine to blister and either keep my old ones and have them done, or let Mr T foot the bill to get them polished..

Here's another pic..

m http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/polishedwheel3.jpg m

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Slacey

I'm not sure exactly where, but it's Parkes in Bilston, Wolverhampton. They won't blister at all as it's the paint that's going bad, but the finish will look ratty if you don't look after it.

MRMike

Cheers Sean i'l have a look..would I have to do anything in addition to cleaning them normally to prevent them going 'ratty' as you say..good point about the paint being the thing going bad in the first place...

I'm now considering this a pre-emptive strike against blistering..

Cheers

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"He had them done at KN Wheels - £25 a wheel.

How long does it take. Could I book in the car, goto CMK shopping and pick up the car all done a few hours later?

We will be going upto Telford in July and if funds allow...

Tags: