Help/Advice Needed Please

Started by Anonymous, June 21, 2010, 10:58

Anonymous

Ok, I have a Clarion ADX 5655Rz thing in my 2 and am thinking about getting a new stereo. The thing that annoys me about the Clarion is that, the cd jumps when I go over bumps, it isn't loud enough (ie: it doesn't have the ooompf to make my ears bleed) and more importantly my 10 year old niece pointed at the cassette deck and asked me what it was, cue feeling mortified and about 100 years old.

Can anyone give me (a complete baffoon when it comes to anything even remotely techinical) some advice on what I should be looking for as a replacement. Please don't get too technical as I will not have a clue what you are on about, seriously, not a clue. Looking to spend as little as possible on something that looks good and sounds great, not bothered about MP3 wotsits and bluetooth whatevers, just something that will play CDs...................LOUDLY. If I need to buy new speakers and any other bits and bobs, happy to do so, as long as it is cheap and cheerful.

Thanks in advance.

sonixtorm

Quote from: "PaulaWood"Can anyone give me (a complete baffoon when it comes to anything even remotely techinical) some advice on what I should be looking for as a replacement. Please don't get too technical as I will not have a clue what you are on about, seriously, not a clue. Looking to spend as little as possible on something that looks good and sounds great, not bothered about MP3 wotsits and bluetooth whatevers, just something that will play CDs...................LOUDLY. If I need to buy new speakers and any other bits and bobs, happy to do so, as long as it is cheap and cheerful.

I can only go by what I have bought, but I think the larger part of the problem with volume will be down to the speakers. On a budget, I'd be tempted to go for a set of 6.5 component speakers from eBay or the like. I bought Infinity Kappa @£99, but Vibe seem to get reasonable reviews and are ~£49 - whatever you put in there will be a bit of a faff to fit, but will be far better than the stock units (see: http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=29733). If you are not too fussed about features, a second-hand stereo from eBay will probably drive it all nicely - I got an all-singing Pioneer for mine, so not able to comment on that front...

roger

Unfortunately it does seem to me that you will need a head unit as well as speakers. Add to that some sound deadening on the inside of the door cards will cut down vibration at loud volume.

Also, I should add, as a generality, the more you pay the better the system. You could spend £100 on HU and speakers and be disappointed, so if you are going "cheap" you will need to some comfort from somebody who has fitted those particular bits before, that it does what you want.

I can certainly recommend the Infinity Kappa 6.5, and I have a rather old Pioneer which is quite well specced on output, and the 2 together work very well.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

mrzwei

Paula, your 10 year old niece has just made me feel old, my only hope is that cassettes come back in the same way that vynal did.   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

m312

If you really want the system to be loud (and clear), then you really need to get new components, with a small amp as well imo (but you will have to find the space somewhere).

Tags: