custom powerflow exhaust and pro 1 de-cat :D

Started by Anonymous, June 25, 2010, 01:20

Anonymous

it came today the de-cat is here   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

run into a few problems along the way of fitting tho, i removed all the under plastics in my way all went good then i started to unbolt the cat pipe from the pre-cat pipes used WD40 yesss.............ahhhh nuts bolt sheerd off F&%K,

took a trip to the usual garage they drilled out the snapped bolt undone all the other bolts without damaging them (they used what i think was a impact drill) and undone all the other bolts, then rather than using the same stupid bolts they put a diffrent set in so now the thread stays where it is and i just have to unscrew some nuts instead and slide off the cat (why did toyota not think of this?)

they used the original gaskets cause they were still in good condition and also gasket sealant bolted the de-cat pipe on instead but i lost the lamba sensor in the process the thread was naffed after they eventualy got it out of the cat pipe (to be fair they used all the correct tools lamba sockets and even tryed heating it up but no good so they just used a blanking plug

after all the garage did the price i had to pay out was £37 not bad at all i thought a snapped off bolt would cost loads to be drilled out guess not.

a couple hours later of driving and the engine light came on so bought the new sensor i fitted and the lights back off again now  s:) :) s:)  

it wasnt majourly loud at first didnt notice any difference but after doing 30 miles in it today it got worked in straight away and now sounds a bit more louder but seriously throaty so wont be flooring it near any police i have returned the plastic covers back on to keep my engine clean and to hide the pipes even tho i dont mind showing off what i got but would rather not give police and theifs a reason to pay a visit,

heres a quick vid and some pics ill add a part 2 vid of the drive by sound in a few days when i get the time to do one.

part 1 vid:    m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqIpIhCBzlg m

FGrob

I think you will find your light will come back on, the sensor will not be far enough out of the gas flow to work as it should, you need to get yourself some anti fouler adaptors - 2 usually to stop this happening. So what's your plan when it's MOT time  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Anonymous

hey ahh right where would i get anti fouler adaptors from?, and where would you fit them on the system?  s:P :P s:P

i dont think the de-cat will stay on always cause it drinks alot of fuel quite quickly,

come MOT time ill take it off and put the original cat back on  s:) :) s:)  if not before and just swap it now and then

Mad Matt

Don't you need to get a re-map to get the most out of it?

Anonymous

im not sure most probly would help the system ive always been put off when thinking about remaps cause as far as i know they mainly give you a tiny bit of gain for a non turbo which isnt really worth the money getting it mapped.

everytime i mention it i always get people saying unless you have a turbo it wont do a massive diffrence maybe a few bhp more better fuel eco or even more torque,

i know there is a topic on the subject i have read through it but its mainly everyone who have put loads of engine bits on like clutches, cams, exhausts, remaps and dyno sheets

but has anyone actually remaped just the standard car and what sort bhp gain or improvement did you get?

if i have missed one of the topics forgive me   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   but if you could link me to it that would be great   s:D :D s:D

markiii

you need a remap just to stand still

a decat pipe will lose you a chunk of torque on a stock manifold and ecu

as for teh cat to manifold bolts

they replaced them with studs which is how they came from Toyota, if yous had bolts then soemwone has already been messing around in there

I notice you lost teh spring bolts on teh backbox to cat joint, without teh flex in that joint soemthing is going to snap at some point
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

yeah i still got the spring bolts  s:) :) s:)  when they tryed to bolt them back on they wouldnt go in properly with the decat connection sumthing either wasnt matching up properly or its a bit thicker than the original :S i might take the decat off at sum point and keep it in storage untill i can afford a remap then  s:) :) s:)  i dont want to mess the engine up   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

mrzwei

Hi Liam
1. glad it arrived ok.
2. it certainly looks ok
3. hope you get any issues sorted
Regards, Dave Smith
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Jigwar

Quote from: "liam1421"hey ahh right where would i get anti fouler adaptors from?, and where would you fit them on the system?  s:P :P s:P

http://www.rockauto.com

Search by Part Number. You want part number 42002, and manufacturer Dorman. Should return something called a Spark Plug Non-Fouler. In fact, you can use these to screw into the O2 sensor hole and then the O2 sensor screws into this, effectively drawing the sensor away from the exhaust flow. You get two in a pack and could drill one out and screw them together thus drawing the O2 sensor even further back.

With my de-cat pipe fitted, I was getting a "cat not working" error (no sh*t   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) pop up after any monotonous m'way journey, so I fitted one of these and no such error since. That's with a turbo and some small metallic cat chambers in the manifold which just scrapes it through an MOT!

HTH

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Mad Matt

I'm not trying to push a re-map on you but there were a couple of people with light mods like this:

Engine Mods:
Standard Engine

Induction Mods:
K&N 57i gen2

Exhaust Mods:
Che manifold Stainless Steel
De cat pipe
Cobra Quad sports Exhaust
All Wrapped in Thermo Tec Heat bandage

Engine Electronics:
Greddy E manage Blue
Iridium spark plugs

Mapping:
Yes – Noble Motorsports

Performance:
156.7 BHP at 6573 RPM
131.0 Lb Ft at 4623 RPM
Standard rev limit

I think E said the K&N was soaking heat so if you went for a markIII and pannel filter you could drop the exhaust wrap and still get a wee bit more power than he got. The other mods are probably close to what you've got aren't they? The one below from this thread got slightly more power with slightly less mods.

I assume the idea of de-catting was to get a "bit more" or were you just looking for the sound (if one can look for sounds)?

FGrob

I'm not sure what the OP has done with his ECU, if it's stock then no re-map he will either need a piggy back ECU or a stand alone.

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

mrzwei

So all of the many members who gutted their pre-cats now need to rush out and get an ECU re-map because of the change to the exhaust?
At the most I would say a desirable thing to do but not a critical thing to do.
Most re-maps simply average situations, they don't optimise the fuel / air ratio and ignition timing at all possible rev / load situations (unless you have the money   s:D :D s:D  ).
My bet would be that the current ecu would cope with the change to the straight through cat (less) system.
If you'r racing on the limit then I guess that's another scenario.
So, depends for me on how you want to use the car.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

FGrob

Quote from: "mrzwei"So all of the many members who gutted their pre-cats now need to rush out and get an ECU re-map because of the change to the exhaust?
No we are not talking pre-cats - we are talking main cat - two different things

mrzwei

Thanks Rob, I didn't make it clear.
My point was that if you should re-map for substituting the main cat with a straight through system then you have to apply the same argument to taking out the pre-cats, so all people who have taken out the pre-cats should now get a re-map.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

markiii

removing teh precats doesn't blow a hole in your torque curve (in teh real world)

a main decat does
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

DannyN

Please step away from the JCB.............  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

mrzwei

Is the loss of torque a function of the pipe, the ecu, or both, ie in what way is the decat pipe having an effect on say the otherwise stock system.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

DannyN

The cat has a certain back pressure on the exhaust gases, with no cat this back pressure isnt available.

m http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/in ... 06232.html m

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

mrzwei

Thanks, so how does that relate to torque? (I'm not trying to be funny, I'm genuinely interested, sad person).

Edit: sorry, I missed the link, thanks
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

DannyN

Quote from: "mrzwei"Thanks, so how does that relate to torque? (I'm not trying to be funny, I'm genuinely interested, sad person).

Are you genuinely interested enough to search out your own answers ?

w www.google.co.uk w

w www.bing.com w

[/size]

mrzwei

Danny, see above  edit, I missed the link, my apologies
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

Tags: