Flat Battery

Started by 2003bluecat, July 7, 2010, 13:33

2003bluecat

I was out working at a clients yesterday when they asked me to move my car as it was blocking another car. I had somewhat stupidly left my side lights on for a few hours (what's that buzzing noise again!?) and as such had a completely flat battery   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   Luckily, from a getting home point of view, the clients I was working at are mechanics, so I was able to get it charged up but was left feeling more than a little embarassed  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

But i suppose if you're going to leave the lights on somewhere, that's one of the best places   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Anyway, when I bought the car the bloke selling suggested that the upgraded aerial was connected to the battery at all times, or at least that it will drain it quite quickly if the car is not used. Does this sound correct? And also the battery looks like some cheap thing that may or may not benifit from being upgraded. Any suggestions on a decent battery?

The car is my day-to-day car but I don't want to be losing battery if I go on holiday and don't use the car for a bit.

mrzwei

The most often posted reason for a flat battery is probably drain via the alarm system. Most people also seem to agree that the cheapest replacement battery is the oe from Mr T.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

wbarrwebster

Quote from: "mrzwei"The most often posted reason for a flat battery is probably drain via the alarm system. Most people also seem to agree that the cheapest replacement battery is the oe from Mr T.

+1
Last time I purchased Battery I think I paid about £40 from Mr T.

Steer clear of Halfords, expensive and bet they sell you the wrong battery!!

B
W. B. Webster

roger

Quote from: "2003bluecat"Anyway, when I bought the car the bloke selling suggested that the upgraded aerial was connected to the battery at all times, or at least that it will drain it quite quickly if the car is not used. Does this sound correct?

What's that about? You should be able to see if the battery has other cables attached to it. Why would it need to be permanently drawing current? Maybe transferring it to a switched supply would sort it.

I'm still on my original battery after 6 years, but it does need a trickle charge if left for more than 2 weeks with alarm on.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

andibell

I've used www.etyres.com for the last few battery's various cars have needed...  They've always been competitive on price and will come to where-ever your car is and fit the battery for you.  Last one I needed (the wife's Volvo) they were cheaper than Volvo, Halfrauds and the local garage and came and did the job same day...
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

skinz

When I had a huge sound system in my punto (2000watt subs, power cap, dvd, 3 screens - so pretty hefty) - An Auto Electrician reccommended going for a diesel battery as an upgrade as these have greater capacity or something, and would last much longer. Could be worth a look in to?
Steven

furkh

Quote from: "wbarrwebster"
Quote from: "mrzwei"The most often posted reason for a flat battery is probably drain via the alarm system. Most people also seem to agree that the cheapest replacement battery is the oe from Mr T.

+1
Last time I purchased Battery I think I paid about £40 from Mr T.

Steer clear of Halfords, expensive and bet they sell you the wrong battery!!

B

Hey, does this Mr T. shop place have a website??? are there any shops/garages in west yorkshire?

Cheers
MR2 2000 - Silver with charcoal alloys, Pirelli tyres, 2006 Engine swap, pre-cats removed, kenwood ICE with all leathers. Next: induction kit and wider tyres.

roger

Quote from: "furkh"Hey, does this Mr T. shop place have a website??? are there any shops/garages in west yorkshire?

Cheers

MrT is shorthand for Toyota ie your local Toyota dealer. If you want to buy Toyota stuff always a good idea to check CTP (Cheap Toyota Parts) in our affiliates section, though shipping costs on a battery could well negate any discount.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

furkh

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "furkh"Hey, does this Mr T. shop place have a website??? are there any shops/garages in west yorkshire?

Cheers

MrT is shorthand for Toyota ie your local Toyota dealer. If you want to buy Toyota stuff always a good idea to check CTP (Cheap Toyota Parts) in our affiliates section, though shipping costs on a battery could well negate any discount.

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  a bit red in the face now! but many thanks! i'll call Toyota up and check with them  :-) :-) :-)

Cheers!
MR2 2000 - Silver with charcoal alloys, Pirelli tyres, 2006 Engine swap, pre-cats removed, kenwood ICE with all leathers. Next: induction kit and wider tyres.

Dyn-Evo

Cheers

m http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001558/ m

Sorry...couldn't resist...!   s:D :D s:D
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

furkh

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"

Cheers

m http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001558/ m

Sorry...couldn't resist...!   s:D :D s:D

muhahahaha! love it! man, i miss old-skool a-team!

while i have your attention, do you know if this battery is the right size for the MR2?

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _861wt_911 m  

cheers!!

Tags: