Inline fuse

Started by Anonymous, March 14, 2004, 17:50

Anonymous

How easy it to make up an inline fuse?

I am going to try my hand at hardwiring a B2 so will have to cut off the cigarette socket of the power cable. I have opened the cigarette socket and found what looks like a 1A fuse so presume that I should make a fuse of some sort to replace it.

I believe after the fuse, I will have to put a ring connector on the -ve to make the ground wire and am having to use a female spade for the +ve.

Alternatively can anyone recommend a good car audio place near Hertfordshire?

Anonymous

Maplins sell inline fuse holders... then it's just a matter of wiring into and out of it:

m http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module ... duleno=449 m

m http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module ... leno=12056 m

m http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module ... duleno=444 m

dending on which variety you want.

markiii

and theres a branch in stevenage  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

darrenjuggins

Question, Why ?

The B2 will take hardly any current, like my Geodesy....

THe easy way would be to piggy back off the switched live for the stereo, avoiding any hassles.....

Remember the feeds are already fused in the box...

Just a suggestion....

If it was an amp I'd advice an inline fuse and go direct to the battery, but for a B2 it probably uses as much juice as an ant to run.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

I did this on Friday, paid £2 for an in line fuse holder & a 1.5A fuse from my local Auto Discount Shop.

Used a soldering iron to heat up the solder inside the B2's cigarette lighter power "thingy" to remove them, stripped some sleeving from the wires that go to the lighter & soldered the B2 wires to the exposed wires, then put some leccy tape over the exposed wires. The B2 wires are REALLY thin though!

Really easy but makes the B2 look a lot neater.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Roadblade"I did this on Friday, paid £2 for an in line fuse holder & a 1.5A fuse from my local Auto Discount Shop.

Used a soldering iron to heat up the solder inside the B2's cigarette lighter power "thingy" to remove them, stripped some sleeving from the wires that go to the lighter & soldered the B2 wires to the exposed wires, then put some leccy tape over the exposed wires. The B2 wires are REALLY thin though!

Really easy but makes the B2 look a lot neater.

Forgot to mention, your cigarette lighter is a switch live as well (yea, I know......you already knew that!)

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys.

It looks like I am going to have to buy and then learn how to solder for the first time  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

QuoteForgot to mention, your cigarette lighter is a switch live as well (yea, I know......you already knew that!)

Afraid I didn't   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   as I am bit of novice with electronics.

The bit I am trying to wire into is 'C' in the pic below and it requires a female spade connector.

Bare with me as I have one last question   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I am therefore going to have to chop off an extra bit of the B2's wire to make the section between the inline fuse and the female spade connector. When I attach the -ve and +ve to the inline fuse can they attach to it twisted together or should they be kept separate  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lusaka"Thanks for the replies guys.

It looks like I am going to have to buy and then learn how to solder for the first time  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

QuoteForgot to mention, your cigarette lighter is a switch live as well (yea, I know......you already knew that!)

Afraid I didn't   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   as I am bit of novice with electronics.

The bit I am trying to wire into is 'C' in the pic below and it requires a female spade connector.

Bare with me as I have one last question   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I am therefore going to have to chop off an extra bit of the B2's wire to make the section between the inline fuse and the female spade connector. When I attach the -ve and +ve to the inline fuse can they attach to it twisted together or should they be kept separate  s:?: :?: s:?:

Lusaka,

If you remove the two connectors from the back of the actual cig lighter & bare some wire that goes into it (The pink is Switch Live & White with Grey stripe is negative) you can cut the cig lighter adapter off the B2, strip some sleeving back, attach an in-line fuse to the Red wire from the B2 & the other end of the in line fuse to the bared Pink wire from the cig lighter, connect the Black from the B2 to the bared White/grey wire, tape it up & connect back to the cig lighter.

I soldered to ensure that I had a good strong connection, I suppose you could "Twist & tape" the wires together but I would prefer/advise soldering, having said that I am not an expert.

markiii

what he said
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Lusaka,

Are you wiring the B2 into the '2 or S2000?

The details above are for the '2, I don't know about the S2000 though. It may be the same but I wouldn't guess.

You will know if it's a switch live though by trying the cig lighter with the ignition off, if it works then it is permanent live not switch live  s:!: :!: s:!:  

I don't know what colour the wire for positive would be though on the Honda.

Anonymous

Cheers guys for the posts and PMs   s:D :D s:D  

I think I have got it sorted in my mind and will have a crack at it once I have all the bits.

Tags: