mono wiper

Started by sony, July 29, 2010, 21:36

sony

hi all,
has anyone ever fitted a mono wiper kit ,seen them on ebay was wondering what they were like to fit and are they as good as two wipers.

markiii

its an mr2 not a corsa
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

JiMR2

Ive never seen mention of any one fitting one on here, tried searching the posts using the serach box in the top right?

I dont think it would look too clever to be honest on a 2... horses for courses mind - could look awesome!!! Or as Mark suggests, it could end up chavinating your 2 and making it look like a Corsa...
AKA Cinnamon Jim

frogger

If you reckon it'll suit then give it a go.

My very-long-term project (been on the back burner for far too long!) is a wide-body Mk1.5, and I've always had it in mind to try out the mono-wiper look on that.

I wouldn't worry too much about an MR2 Roadster specific how to - all vehicles are going to be pretty much the same process.
There's bound to be a MR2 write up somewhere, I'm sure plenty of Mk2's are using them!

RE the corsa: ANY product that end's up on/in/under a Corsa is always going to be court marshall offence. Personally I'd say there's a difference between neons/non-functional spoilers/etc.., and binning a few kg's of wiper motor weight and knocking 0.005 off the aerodynamic drag coefficient (providing it's vertical at rest of course).
At least there's some minute function incentive, it's down to the OP to decide if the form is to their taste   s:) :) s:)

JudoKilli

I might be completely wrong with this one, but I seem to remember Chalced (member on here) mentioning he had done a single wiper conversion of his '2 when I met him earlier this year. Might be worth a sending him a PM. Again, I could be wrong as I seem to remember he only mentioned it briefly.

FGrob

Quote from: "JudoKilli"I might be completely wrong with this one, but I seem to remember Chalced (member on here) mentioning he had done a single wiper conversion of his '2 when I met him earlier this year. Might be worth a sending him a PM. Again, I could be wrong as I seem to remember he only mentioned it briefly.
I think you are right, I'm sure I've seen it too. You can buy these from Demon tweeks, looks to be a better brand (Made by Storm) I think they are about £76 for the kit, page 116 of the blue catalogue.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Wabbitkilla

I say give it a go if you want to, I've seen less tasteful mods done to the 2 and if it does the job then who's to argue   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Definitely different and cars like the VXR220 use them which can't be bad.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

markiii

I'd rather be able to see where I'm going even in a VXR220
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

What are the benefits?
What are the down sides?

chalced

Yep, Ive got one.

It clears the screen just aswell as 2 wipers but is a b*tch to get set up correctly.
Trying to get the 'at rest' position is somewhat trial and error and you need small hands to get to where the wiper motor spindle is located to change it(and mines still not quite correct).
I came away looking like I had been in a bare knuckle fight!(not for the first time...lol).
I do prefer the way it looks tho.

Old Piccy.....

Mel

frogger

Quote from: "uktotty"What are the benefits?
What are the down sides?

In reality its just about personal preference with respect to how it looks.
As mentioned above, you do bin a few kg in the process, which is always nice, and the aerodynamic drag is reduced in theory - but the only time you'd notice it was if you were attempting to test the top speed of the MR2, in which case it might see you right for and extra 1 or 2mph at the top end  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I'm pretty sure I saw that car (chalced) at Japfest - but I didn't notice the mono wiper lol, so it must be a more subtle mod than I thought!

Tem

Quote from: "chalced"It clears the screen just aswell as 2 wipers

Did you modify the wiper speed, or is it twice as slow now?

I mean...say it takes 1 second for the stock to sweep the roughly 90 degrees, does it take 2 seconds to sweep the 180 degrees?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Tem"

I mean...say it takes 1 second for the stock to sweep the roughly 90 degrees, does it take 2 seconds to sweep the 180 degrees?

It looks like it only sweeps through the same angle as stock - hence the parked position being ~45 degrees

Wabbitkilla

A couple of us were discussing this yesterday, if it does the job then great but it sounds like it's a lot of work to get right and boy that's a lot of leverage to swing the thing back and forth. I remember seeing a French car and one or two Mercs where they did this properly, a mechanism that "squared up" the sweep.But you need space to get something like that in and maybe there's no room for that in the 2.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "Tem"

It looks like it only sweeps through the same angle as stock - hence the parked position being ~45 degrees

Ah, I thought it's just parked there for show. Isn't it annoying, if it sits there all the time?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

and arguably illegal as it blocks your vision surely?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Ah, I thought it's just parked there for show. Isn't it annoying, if it sits there all the time?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
+ millionty

Wabbitkilla

Would annoy the hell out of me too

cclarke99

Does it actually wipe the screen? I'd have thought it was very hard to get it to make contact all the way along the blade and then there's still a lot which isn't covered in the corners.

frogger

I could only tolerate such a wiper if it was completely vertical at rest thats for sure...

Tommygun1

Just seen these on eBay has anyone got this kind . I quite like the idea

DannyN

I wouldn't mind it if it sat on the opposite side of the screen and down near the bottom but you'd need to work out some fancy trigonometry and butcher the swing arm pivot point to make it arc for120-130 degrees
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Johnkst

Hmmm... Some interesting misconceptions about this wiper...

I fitted one to my MR2 a couple of years ago and 100% agree with an earlier poster who said that it was literally a pain to fit and an even bigger pain to get 'just right'.

However, because I actually have one fitted, I know how it works and can tell you:

1. you can choose, when you fit it, where you want the blade to come to rest - bottom left, bottom right or straight up (though they advise not having it straight up if you are about to go for an MOT!). So there is no question of it being parked 'right in front of you' (unless that is where you chose to have it).
2. the kit includes some new parts that allow the blade to cover the whole windscreen - pretty much the full 180 degree sweep (which is part of the reason it is such a pain to fit as it always seems to want to touch one side or the other!)

As I prefer to keep the blade parked at the bottom of the windscreen, I perhaps don't get the 'look' it was designed for ('wannabe Le Mans racecar'?), but I like the big sweep it performs when its called into action.

Hope this clears up the 'misconceptions'...

Auser

Hi

I need a single wiper conversion, for my mr2 spyder.

Please, can you give me a contact for to buy one of this?   s:) :) s:)

justinread72

This is a very old thread.

I can't see they make them any more !

I want one to !

Tags: